DescriptionAimlessly wandering through the Southlands of Quendor, the hero of the game encounters the Implementors, powerful beings who warn him of a terrible danger: the Coconut of Quendor, the very embodiment of Magic, has been stolen by terrifying monsters known as Ur-Grue, said to be the spirits of fallen Implementors. The task is clear, but by no means easy: locate the Ur-Grue and return the Coconut of Quendor to its rightful owners!
Beyond Zork: The Coconut of Quendor introduces a somewhat different gameplay system compared to the previous text adventures of the Zork series. Text-based interaction and puzzle-solving are still present; however, role-playing elements have been added to the mix. The player character has six attributes assigned to him: endurance, strength, dexterity, intelligence, compassion, and luck. These can be determined by the player at the beginning of the game, randomly chosen by the game, or provided as part of a pre-generated character. The attributes affect the outcome of combat, which occurs in certain locations. They can also be raised or lowered during the game by gaining experience, drinking and eating certain items, wearing accessories, or in another fashion (sometimes humorous - for example, intelligence will be lowered by typing in swear words). Many locations and objects in the game are randomly generated.
- "Beyond Zork: The Coconut of Quendor - An Interactive Fantasy" -- Tag-lined title
Part of the Following Group
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Amiga||May, 1988||37 out of 40||92|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||DOS||May, 1988||37 out of 40||92|
|Commodore User||Amiga||May, 1988||37 out of 40||92|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Commodore 128||May, 1988||37 out of 40||92|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Atari ST||Jan, 1988||920 out of 1000||92|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Atari ST||May, 1988||37 out of 40||92|
|Atari ST User||Atari ST||Jun, 1988||9 out of 10||90|
|The Games Machine (UK)||DOS||Apr, 1988||87 out of 100||87|
|SPAG||DOS||May 17, 1998||7.6 out of 10||76|
|All Game Guide||DOS||1998||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
ExtrasThe box contained the booklet "The Lore and Legends of Quendor", the map "Southland of Quendor", a registration card with promotion for Wishbringer and a flyer "Infocom Presents Lane Mastodon for InfoComics".
ReferencesBased on the illustrations in the manual, the Coconut of Quendor looks pretty much like the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, which also had a unusual fascination with coconuts.
Information also contributed by beatbox
Related Web Sites
- Beyond Zork Transcript Game (Working Z Machine Game)
- Beyond Zork Walkthrough (by Erik Futtrup, Denmark, and Twan Lintermans, Holland (posted on Gameboomers.com))
- Infocom Documentation Project (A site hosting the documentation (with permission) for some of Infocom's text adventures, including Beyond Zork.)
- The Commodore Zone (All about the game with introduction, images, related links and comments area.)
- The Infocom Gallery (High-quality scans of the grey box package and manual of Beyond Zork.)
- Walkthrough (Complete Walkthrough for Beyond Zork)