DescriptionThe little town of Spielburg is populated mostly by beer-drinking humans and some centaurs who like working in the field. Spielburg is surrounded by forests and mountains, where all kinds of weird creatures dwell: ogres, goblins, talking foxes, stupid magicians, and others. Lately, Spielburg has been assaulted by brigands; besides, the witch Baba Yaga is not to be trusted. The town has everything it needs--even a Thieves Guild--except a strong, brave hero who would protect it. So when a wandering adventurer enters the town, he quickly realizes that his skills might be of use.
Hero's Quest: So You Want to Be a Hero is a hybrid game that contains Role-Playing and Adventure elements. It is visually very similar to other Quest titles by Sierra (such as for example Space Quest), but the gameplay--besides the usual exploration, conversations with characters, and the solving an occasional puzzle with the help of inventory items--also involves combat and character development. In the beginning of the game, the player chooses a character class for the protagonist--either a Fighter, a Mage, or a Thief. The choice of class will influence not only the combat, but also many other events in the game. Puzzles might have different solutions depending on the class and the amount of ability points in various categories.
The main character's skills and abilities are raised directly by repeatedly performing appropriate actions, e.g. fighting enemies, practicing, climbing, throwing objects, etc. Many of those activities are necessary to perform in order to successfully complete the game. Combat takes the player to a separate screen (represented by the enemy's picture) and involves timed selection of commands such as Attack, Parry, etc. The interaction with the game-world is performed by typing verb commands or conversation topics.
The game features a day/night cycle, which also includes character schedules. The main character can get hungry and tired, so feeding him and getting some rest is essential.
- "英雄傳奇" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Quest For Glory: So You Want To Be A Hero" -- Re-release title
- "Hero's Quest I: So You Want To Be A Hero" -- Media title
- "クエスト・フォー・グローリィ" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: Sierra's Creative Interpreter (SCI)
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill development / training
- Gameplay feature: Hunger / Thirst
- Quest for Glory series
The Press Says
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Mar, 1990||825 out of 1000||82|
|Power Play||Jan, 1990||81 out of 100||81|
|Adventure Gamers||Oct 20, 2006||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Problems with keyboard using DOSBox?||6||Indra was here (18604)
Dec 26, 2009
BalancingSome people preferred to complete the game using this version -- opposed to the
DevelopmentFrom Hero's Quest I Hint Book:
You may be interested to know what goes into a game like Hero's Quest I: So You Want To Be A Hero. Development took over a year, with up to four programmers and four artists, a musician, and a designer-director.
Hero's Quest I contains:
And you thought this was easy!
- 111,000 lines of source code (well, so 30,000 of them are blank!)
- 535,000 bytes of background pictures
- 1,560,000 bytes of animation
- 1,980,000 bytes of program code
- 375,000 characters of text messages
- 314,000 bytes of music and sound effects and over 200,000 bytes of compiled system code
- The book that Kaspar, who runs the dry Goods store, is reading, is titled "Quest for Glory: A Hero's Death"
- If you're a thief, try picking your nose with the lockpick.. but make sure you save your game first!
- Attack the Antwerp with your sword and it will bounce high above your head and out of the area. However, when you leave the screen and enter a new one, a shadow will appear over you from above. Things aren't looking too good! If this Antwerp has it's way then he's gonna flatten you.. so, quickly pull out your dagger\sword and hold it above your head. the Antwerp will land on your blade and explode into lots of little baby Antwerps!
- If you right-click on the scorpion walking across the main menu the message: "Congratulations! You have found the first bug in this game." will appear.
TitleQuest For Glory was originally named Hero's Quest, but the name was later changed due to a conflict with Milton Bradley over their board game Hero Quest.
- Erasmus' house contains many 'relics' from other Sierra games:
- A suit of armor bequeathed by Colonel Gulden Dijon (a reference the first Laura Bow game, The Colonel's Bequest).
- A little chopper from the Lytton Police Department (a reference to Police Quest).
- On the sarcophagus is a hieroglyph starring Rosella from King's Quest 4.
- There is also a shield in the room that belonged to one of those "Once and Future" kings (a reference to the famous King Arthur novel "The Once And Future King" by writer T.H. White).
- The moose head and 'Maltese Falcon' appear in this game, as they do in each Quest For Glory title (Courtesy of the Sierra prop department).
- The Three Stooges make a minor cameo appearance in the game.
- A creature called "Antwerp" appears in this game, which is the name of an actual city in Belgium (Europe).
- The guildmaster of the Adventurer's Guild, Wolfgang Abentuerer, mentions "two guys from Andromeda" when you ask about the antwerp trophy. It is a reference to the two designers of Space Quest, another Sierra game
- If you visit Mirror Lake twice a submarine will emerge on your second visit. This is a plug for the Sierra adventure Codename: ICEMAN. In the VGA remake the submarine is replaced by Delphineus (the dolphin from EcoQuest) and the monster of Loch Ness (a plug for Conquest of the Longbow).
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 01/1991 – #2 Best Role-Playing Game in 1990
- Computer Gaming World
- September 1990 (Issue #74) – Adventure Game of the Year
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) - #73 in the “150 Best Games of All Time" list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #15 Most Innovative Computer Game
Related Web Sites
- Quest for Glory Interactive -- A page offering fan fiction in the Quest For Glory universe.
- UHS: Quest for Glory I Hints -- Set up in question and answer format, this guide will give you nudges in the form of hints before the final solutions are revealed.