DescriptionSimon is just an ordinary boy in an extra-ordinary world. A world in which he must rescue Calypso the Wizard by embarking on a long challenging quest.
The game is a point-and-click adventure, using a typical interface with words such as ‘Use’, ‘Open’, ‘Walk To’ (unlike Lucasarts’ SCUMM games, a simple click on that area of the screen won’t do) and ‘Pick Up’ (again, a double-click on the item doesn’t suffice).
The game’s plot has a number of references and spoofs to fantasy and fairy tales, with the Three Billy Goats Gruff involved in a particularly significant scene. The humor is very British in places, with lots of dry sarcasm, and lots of Simpsons-esque self-references to the fact that this is a computer game. The levels are non-linear in layout, with puzzles spread across the lands.
- "魔法师西蒙" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "שוליית המכשף" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Simon the Sorcerer I" -- Alternate title
- "Shuliyat Hamechashef" -- Israeli title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
|Adventure Corner||Dec 26, 2008||100|
|The DOS Spirit||Dec 29, 2006||6 out of 6||100|
|Génération 4||Sep, 1993||89 out of 100||89|
|PC Games (Germany)||Sep, 1994||89 out of 100||89|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Jan 28, 2011||17 out of 20||85|
|PC Games (Germany)||Nov, 1993||84 out of 100||84|
|La Aventura es la Aventura||Aug 24, 2006||80 out of 100||80|
|Adventure Gamers||Aug 05, 2004||80|
|PC Player (Germany)||Oct, 1993||75 out of 100||75|
|Aventura y Cía||Sep 27, 2005||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CD-ROM versionThis game first had a disk version and then a CD-ROM version. The CD-ROM version features full speech.
LegacyThe success of this game prompted Adventuresoft to abandon their previous Horrorsoft brand in favour of focusing on mass-market non-adult titles.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1995 – #3 Best Game in 1994 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/1995 – Best Adventure in 1994 (Readers' Vote)
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #90 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1995 – Best German Localization in 1994
Related Web Sites
- Game Nostalgia ( Provides extensive background info for Simon the Sorcerer, with pictures of the cast and examples of voice-overs, credits with pictures of and info about the design team, a demo of the game, specific details about the game, all musical themes, shots of every location in the game, video clips, saved games, a list of reviews, including a "nostalgic "review and tech specs. )
- iPhSoft (official game website for the iPhone version)
- Playing Simon 1 in Windows XP (Complete instructions by Inferno)
- ScummVM (Get "Simon the Sorcerer", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)