Not an American user?
DescriptionThe streets of Metro City are filled with criminals who are part of a gang called Mad Gear. Former wrestler and newly elected mayor Mike Haggar tries to do something about it, much to the displeasure of the Mad Gear Gang who kidnap his daughter Jessica. Only three people are brave enough to venture into the crime-infested streets and try to bring Jessica back.
Final Fight is a 2D side-scrolling fighting game. Taking on the role of either Cody, Guy, or the mayor Mike Haggar himself, you must advance through six areas of the city clearing out the gang infestation. You will have to cope with a variety of thugs, ranging from firebomb-throwing maniacs to behemoth wrestlers. To defeat these thugs, you have an arsenal of punches, kicks, throws, and jump kicks at your disposal.
SNES port offers only two playable characters: Cody and Haggar. It is also single player only. Later, Final Fight Guy was released in which Cody was replaced with Guy.
- "Street Fighter '89" -- Working Title
- "Final Fight One" -- GBA title
- "Final Fight CD" -- SEGA CD title
- "ファイナルファイト" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Only for the die-hard fans who have no other options.||SNES||DarkBubble (370)|
|Better than Final Fight on the SNES. Worse than Streets of Rage 2.||SEGA CD||Majestic Lizard (655)|
|If only this was the final fight...||SNES||MasterMegid (900)|
|not as good as they say||SEGA CD||Schutzstaffel88 (14)|
|Solid Port Of A 1980's Brawler||SEGA CD||ETJB (358)|
|Smashing heads has never been so much fun!||SNES||Baxter Arnett (15)|
The Press Says
|Hobby Consolas||SEGA CD||Sep, 1993||90 out of 100||90|
|SEGA-Mag (Objectif-SEGA)||SEGA CD||Aug 04, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|IGN||Wii||May 07, 2007||8 out of 10||80|
|Sega Force||SEGA CD||Jan, 1994||76 out of 100||76|
|Jeuxvideo.com||SEGA CD||Mar 11, 2011||15 out of 20||75|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||SNES||Aug, 1991||7.25 out of 10||72|
|Retrogaming.it||SEGA CD||Jan 22, 2008||7 out of 10||70|
|Power Play||Amiga||Mar, 1992||60 out of 100||60|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Commodore 64||Jan, 1992||4 out of 12||33|
|Zzap!||Commodore 64||Dec, 1991||22 out of 100||22|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentCapcom firstly designed Final Fight to be the sequel to Street Fighter named Street Fighter '89, but they changed their minds and decided to give the game a new name and start a new series.
- All home computer versions of Final Fight include a shot of the Mayor's daughter tied up in her underwear during the opening sequence, which was only seen in Japanese arcades (it was censored in Europe and America).
- The female gang members (Poison/Roxy, etc.) haven't had much luck appearing in the home ports of the game. All the Nintendo versions replaced them completely with male enemies (this includes the recent GBA remake, at least the US version) and while they appear in some rare ports they can only be found with edited clothing. Only the rare Japanese SEGA CD version shows them in their original form.
- In the Super Nintendo port, the names of some bosses were changed (Damnd became Thrasher and Sodom became Katana). The censorship also cut the whiskey from the list of power ups and took away all female enemies of the game, leaving only men.
- In the arcade version after destroying the car (bonus area), a character comes along and cries "Oh My God!". On the Super Nintendo this was changed to "Oh My Car!"