Not an American user?
DescriptionFrontier: First Encounters is the third part of Elite series. You are a space pirate and you fly around through the universe in your space craft to fulfill different missions. You can also earn money by trading cargo with other races.
- "FFE" -- Common Abbreviation
- "Elite 3" -- Informal Name
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
|PC Joker||May, 1995||88 out of 100||88|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Aug 10, 2011||17 out of 20||85|
|Power Play||May, 1995||85 out of 100||85|
|The DOS Spirit||Dec 15, 2009||4.5 out of 6||75|
|PC Gamer||Aug, 1995||70 out of 100||70|
|Power Unlimited||Jul, 1995||7 out of 10||70|
|Datormagazin||Jul, 1995||3 out of 5||60|
|High Score||Jun, 1995||3 out of 5||60|
|PC Player (Germany)||May, 1995||59 out of 100||59|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Aug, 1995||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CreditsDavid Braben and Ian Bell were the original authors of the first Elite back in the 80s. Braben made this third game without giving Bell credit or royalties for the space ships and other ideas he created that were reused. Bell had to sue Braben for payment.
DevelopmentFrontier: First Encounters was originally intended to be an add-on disk for the second game, Frontier: Elite II. However, because they rushed that game, its engine could not handle expansion disks effectively. The engine was rewritten and the game was released standalone. Unfortunately, it was also rushed and filled with numerous bugs that made its initial release unplayable.
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/1996 - Most Annoying Bugs in 1995
Related Web Sites
- Frontier: First Encounters FAQ -- First Encounters Frequently Asked Questions (Answers from David Braben)
- JJFFE Central -- A conversion of the game for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems, which additionally includes minor improvements and bug fixes.
- Space: The Final Frontier -- An elite fansite covering everything elite.
- The Elite Club -- Where you can download Frontier: Elite II and Frontier: First Encounters, now released as shareware
robotriot (8641) added Frontier: First Encounters (DOS) on Nov 01, 1999
David Braben, Andrew Dunn, Mike Edie, Peter Elliot‑Green, Ran Mokady, Jonathan Roach, Chris Sawyer, Peter J. M. IrvinShapes: