DescriptionSet in post-WWII New York City, The Godfather: The Game follows the player-created character's rise through a crime syndicate based on the book and film franchises. Combining events from the movie with side-story missions, the player must earn respect by completing missions in territories controlled by New York's five crime families.
Largely open-ended, the game's story is driven by a series of missions where the player can use violence, intimidation, or diplomacy to affect the outcome and influence future events and other character's reactions. A third-person action game, The Godfather: The Game features a punching mechanism to brutally assert yourself, a car theft and driving engine, and a shooting system which allows for locational damage.
The game features a persistent offline world populated with locations from the franchise and characters who are often voiced by the actors who portrayed them onscreen.
- "教父" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "教父" -- Taiwan spelling
- "O Poderoso Chefão" -- Brazilian title
- "Ojciec Chrzestny" -- Polish title
- "Le Parrain" -- French title
- "Jiaofu" -- Chinese title
- "Il Padrino" -- Italian title
- "Gudfadern" -- Swedish title
- "El Padrino" -- Spanish title
- "Der Pate" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Genre: Open world / Free-roaming / Sandbox action and driving
- Graphics Engine: RenderWare
- Inspiration: Movies
- Physics Engine: Havok
- PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits releases
- Protagonist: Gangster
- Setting: City - New York
- The Godfather games
|An offer you can't refuse||PlayStation 2||Lawnmower Man (140)|
|Godfather Theft Auto||Windows||Edward Beezy (38)|
|A valiant effort, but...||PlayStation 2||Zokolov (66)|
|"Some day and that day may never come... I may call upon you to do a service for me"||Xbox 360||Stsung (53)|
|You'll want to eat some pasta after this one!!||Xbox||lado (28)|
The Press Says
|Daily Game||Xbox 360||Sep 18, 2006||8.3 out of 10||83|
|X-Power||Xbox||Mar 29, 2006||8 out of 10||80|
|UOL Jogos||PlayStation 2||Mar 23, 2006||80|
|Video Game Talk||Xbox 360||Sep 27, 2006||80|
|Defunct Games||PlayStation 2||Apr 06, 2006||80 out of 100||80|
|MAN!AC||PlayStation 2||May, 2006||79 out of 100||79|
|PSX Extreme||PlayStation 2||Mar 31, 2006||7.8 out of 10||78|
|Defunct Games||Xbox 360||Nov 29, 2006||75 out of 100||75|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Xbox 360||Sep 21, 2006||13 out of 20||65|
|The Next Level||Xbox||May 02, 2006||60|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentWhile Marlon Brando did contribute his voice to the game prior to his death, his ill health affected his speech and unfortunately, his lines were not used.
DLC ControversySoon after the release of the Xbox 360 version, additional content such as weapons and even extra money was made available at the Xbox Live Marketplace for a small price. Discussion arose whether this content should have been available in the game in the first place, or if EA wanted to make a quick buck by offering these in exchange for micro-payments. The disturbing part was that EA removed the "free money" cheat code from the game, to make the items more attractive in exchange for real money.
Some of the in-game weapons are very expensive, but the Level 4 Tommy Gun – Spectre Minigun can be bought on Marketplace for 100 MS points ($1.25). Then, to actually use it in the game, you need $750,000 in-game currency. If you do not have that amount, EA offers free money for 150 MS points ($1.50) for the in-game amount of $250,000.
Information also contributed by Sciere
Related Web Sites
- Post-Mortem Interview: The Godfather for Xbox 360 (on DailyGame (Sept. 20, 2006))
- The Godfather (Official game website)
- The Godfather Game Guide (GamePressure.com's game guide & tips and complete walkthrough of the game)
- Wikipedia: The Godfather: The Game (Information about The Godfather: The Game at Wikipedia)
- X360A Achievement Guide (X360A's achievement guide for The Godfather.)
GM, Executive in Charge of Production: