DescriptionThe long-awaited follow up to the "spaceploitation" strategy classics Master of Orion and Master of Orion 2, MOO 3 attempts to combine unprecedented depth with user-friendliness in one ultimate "4X" gaming eXperience. The basic game formula is the same, though: start out with one planet, eXplore the galaxy, eXpand by founding new colonies and bases, eXploit resources, and then eXterminate your opponents--or at least show them who is boss!
Many years in the MOO timeline have passed since the last installment of the series. The Antarans have triumphed and imposed their rule on the Orion sector, even dubbing themselves the "New Orions" in their pretentiousness. Most of the old alien species have been defeated and nearly exterminated by the New Orions, but a few remnants of their civilizations still remain as non-playable races, so you will occasionally come across the odd colony of the Darlok, Bulrathi, Alkari, Mrrshan, Elerian, or Gnolam variety. The 16 playable races that have survived the wrath of the Antarans include the insectoid Klackons and Tachidi; the reptilian Raas, Sakkra, and Grendarl; the fishlike Trilarian and Nommo; the robotic Cynoid and Meklar; the humanoid Human, Evon, and Psilon; the crystalline Silicoids; the ethereal Imsaeis and Eoladi; and the genetically-engineered harvesters, the Ithkul.
Management is handled primarily at the imperial level through general plans and policy decrees, with a system of AI viceroys assigned to doing most of the grunt work in managing the various regions of your colonized planets. Up to four great leaders at a time may come forward and join your empire, adding bonuses (and perhaps also penalties) to your base racial abilities. Research is divided into six schools: economics, energy, biological sciences, social sciences, physical sciences, and mathematics; some 380 technological advances are available overall, and not all will be available to your chosen race.
Ship and ground combat have both changed from previous MOO games. Naval battles are played out in real time, with orders being given to ships assigned to the various task forces you organize before any battles take place. The player now has more tactical options in commanding ground forces in planetary assaults. Espionage is still available for implementing a variety of dirty tricks on opposing empires, and diplomacy is expanded so that you can now negotiate not only on an inter-empire basis, but also through the Orion Senate. With enough votes, laws can be passed by the Senate which have galaxy-wide effects, thus making it possible for the clever diplomat to change the rules of the game to his own advantage.
Victory is yours if you can accomplish one of three things: eliminate all opponents and become Sole Survivor, garner enough votes through diplomacy to become President of the Senate, or recover the five mysterious alien artifacts--the "Antaran Xs"--scattered across the galaxy. Just be prepared for a tough fight, because powerful Guardians will once again stand between you and total mastery of Orion.
- "MOO 3" -- Informal name
- "Master of Orion 3: Престол Галактики" -- Russian spelling
- "Master of Orion 3: The Fifth X" -- Pre-release working title
Part of the Following Groups
- Games with randomly generated environments
- Genre: 4X
- Master of Orion series
- Visual technique / style: Voxel graphics
|IGN||Windows||Feb 14, 2003||9.2 out of 10||92|
|Gameplanet||Windows||Mar 21, 2003||80|
|Inside Mac Games (IMG)||Macintosh||Apr 29, 2003||7.75 out of 10||78|
|GameSpy||Windows||Feb 26, 2003||60|
|Boomtown||Windows||Apr 07, 2003||6 out of 10||60|
|Game Over Online||Windows||Mar 18, 2003||60 out of 100||60|
|Adrenaline Vault, The (AVault)||Windows||Feb, 2003||60|
|Play.tm||Windows||Apr 04, 2003||40 out of 100||40|
|Rebell.at Games||Windows||Mar 10, 2003||4 out of 10||40|
|Withingames||Windows||Mar 05, 2003||2 out of 5||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaMaster of Orion 3 was named #1 Worst Game of the Year in the “Best of 2003” Awards in Computer Games Magazine (March 2004 issue).
Related Web Sites
- Build Galactic Empires (An Apple Games article (archived on the author's webpage) about the Macintosh version of Master of Orion 3, with commentary being provided by Quicksilver Software President Bill Fisher (January, 2003).)
- Master of Orion III - The Official Web Site (The official home page for Master of Orion 3, created and maintained by its developer, Quicksilver. )
- NZMac (A (largely) unscored review of the Macintosh version of the game by NZMac, a New Zealand Apple site. The review is ultimately positive, though with some qualifiers (Jul. 01, 2003).)
- The Master of Orion 3 Guardian (Fan site offering various information on MOO 3, including modifications ("Mods") of the original game. Has sections for MOO 1 and 2, too.)
- The Orion Sector (A site run by MOO fans devoted to the latest news, previews, reviews, info, downloads, and more for Master of Orion 3. )