The King and the Prince of Persia are besieging the Maharajah's castle to plunder the treasures hidden inside. In order to impress his father, the Prince sneaks inside to recover the magical Dagger of Time. He quickly learns that this dagger has the ability to control time. The malevolent Vizier has other plans for the dagger, however, and tricks the Prince into unlocking a mysterious secret of the Dagger that causes the King and many of his subjects to be turned into sand zombies. Now, the Prince must figure out what has happened and try to set things right again.Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
is an action game with platforming and puzzle-solving elements. It updates many of the gameplay concepts from the previous games, and brings them into a fully three-dimensional world. The Prince will engage in sword fighting, wall climbing, spike dodging, puzzle solving, and more in his quest. The Prince also carries the Dagger of Time, which allows him to unleash several magical powers. The most important of these powers is the ability to reverse time. This ability allows the player to reverse their actions when they lead the Prince to his death.
- "波斯王子：时之砂" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Принц Персии: Пески Времени" -- Russian spelling
- "Princ Persii: Peski Vremeni" -- Russian title
- "Prince of Persia: Písky času" -- Czech title
- "Prince of Persia: Piaski Czasu" -- Polish title
- "Prince of Persia - Les Sables du Temps" -- French title
- "Prince of Persia: Le Sabbie del Tempo" -- Italian title
- "Prince of Persia: Las Arenas del Tiempo" -- Spanish title
- "Prince of Persia: Jikan no Suna" -- Japanese title
- "Prince of Persia 4" -- Informal title
- "Bosi Wangzi: Shi zhi Sha" -- Chinese title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
||Dec 04, 2003
||10 out of 10
||Dec 07, 2003
||9.7 out of 10
||Nov 20, 2003
||94 out of 100
||Dec 30, 2003
||9.2 out of 10
||Aug 07, 2004
||9.2 out of 10
||Jan 13, 2004
||9.1 out of 10
||Dec 22, 2003
||9 out of 10
||Jan 20, 2004
||9 out of 10
||Jan 09, 2005
||8.8 out of 10
|The Video Game Critic
||Feb 09, 2005
The Internet marketing for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
was Ubisoft's most successful campaign so far. Ad agency Digital Outlook targeted 15-24-year-old males with ads featuring characters from the game and its "acrobatic action gameplay". A DHTML overlay showing the Prince slicing through the computer screen with his sword had a click-through rate of 26.1%. A streaming video ad, showing the gameplay, had a click-through rate of 23.43%. These rates were 4x higher than the host site's average.
Armitt, Claire. Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time. (Case Study)" New Media Age
. May 6, 2004 p30.
The PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits budget release of the game confusingly uses the cover art of the 2010 game Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Curious about how Farah feels about the Prince? Use the free-look button to look at her during the game to see how their relationship grows.
On the opening level, just after the room in which you first see the sands of time / giant hourglass, you find a water-filled passage that has 6 murals on the walls. The contents of the murals seem to describe the legendary history of the sands of time :
1) A blue god and winged goddess cradle the earth
2) A red demon kills the blue god as he sleeps
3) The red demon stalks the earth, eating humans
4) The blue god returns from the dead and strikes down the red demon with lightning
5) The blue god collects the sand from the red demon and pours it into an hourglass
6) The blue demon grow four arms - 2 sport the hourglass - 2 carry a sword and the severed head of the red demon. Humans worship at his feet.
The Playstation 2 and Gamecube versions feature a hidden version of the original Prince of Persia
, which once unlocked can be played at will.
The X-Box version of the game features the first Prince of Persia, but also features a hidden Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow & The Flame
, which will also show up as unlocked content.
The Windows version of the game does not feature either game hidden anywhere.
Several times the main characters mention the "legendary" Rustam in comparison to what the Prince is able to do. Rustam was a Persian hero noted for his great strength. Born with prematurely gray hair, Rustam slew a rampaging white elephant with a single blow at the age of ten.
More at "Rustam
." Encyclopedia Mythica. 2004. Encyclopedia Mythica Online.
Information also contributed by
Big John WV,
- Computer Games Magazine
- March 2004 - #7 Game of the Year 2003
- Computer Gaming World
- March 2004 (Issue #236) – Action Game of the Year
- March 2004 (Issue #236) – Weapon of the Year (for the Dagger of Time)
- February 2006 - #166 out of 200 of the "Greatest Games of Their Time"
- 2003 – #10 Game of the Year (together with SoulCalibur II)
- 2003 – #4 Xbox Game of the Year
- 2003 – #9 GameCube Game of the Year