Not an American user?
DescriptionSimon is just an ordinary boy in an extra-ordinary world. A world in which he must rescue Calypso the Wizard by embarking on a long challenging quest.
The game is a point-and-click adventure, using a typical interface with words such as ‘Use’, ‘Open’, ‘Walk To’ (unlike Lucasarts’ SCUMM games, a simple click on that area of the screen won’t do) and ‘Pick Up’ (again, a double-click on the item doesn’t suffice).
The game’s plot has a number of references and spoofs to fantasy and fairy tales, with the Three Billy Goats Gruff involved in a particularly significant scene. The humor is very British in places, with lots of dry sarcasm, and lots of Simpsons-esque self-references to the fact that this is a computer game. The levels are non-linear in layout, with puzzles spread across the lands.
- "魔法师西蒙" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "שוליית המכשף" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Simon the Sorcerer I" -- Alternate title
- "Shuliyat Hamechashef" -- Israeli title
Part of the Following Groups
|A nice adventure game from the British version of LucasArts||DOS||*Katakis* (37485)|
|Simon - Cocky Spotty Nose Hero!!||Windows||phil buckley (22)|
|"What’s the point in talking to an empty hole?"||DOS||Happy Rabbi (1256)|
|A very good adventure in classical style, but still below the standards of Lucas Arts||DOS||YID YANG (164527)|
|Funny and fun!||DOS||NatsFan (133)|
|Sierra?....Nah, Adventuresoft here we come!||DOS||Hilary Richardson (15)|
|Great British Adventure Gaming||Windows||ETJB (358)|
|Silly hat, great game||DOS||Depth Lord (945)|
|Forget Guybrush - Take Simon!||DOS||Rantanplan (1719)|
The Press Says
|High Score||Amiga||Feb, 1994||5 out of 5||100|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Windows||Sep 12, 1999||5 out of 5||100|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Amiga||Feb, 1994||11 out of 12||92|
|CU Amiga||Amiga CD32||Jul, 1994||90 out of 100||90|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Sep, 1994||89 out of 100||89|
|Tilt||DOS||Oct, 1993||88 out of 100||88|
|Defunct Games||Amiga CD32||Jun 07, 2008||80 out of 100||80|
|AppSafari||iPhone||Apr 14, 2010||4 out of 5||80|
|Amiga World||Amiga||May, 1994||B-||67|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CD-ROM versionThis game first had a disk version and then a CD-ROM version. The CD-ROM version features full speech.
LegacyThe success of this game prompted Adventuresoft to abandon their previous Horrorsoft brand in favour of focusing on mass-market non-adult titles.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1995 – #3 Best Game in 1994 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/1995 – Best Adventure in 1994 (Readers' Vote)
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #90 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1995 – Best German Localization in 1994
Related Web Sites
- Game Nostalgia -- Provides extensive background info for Simon the Sorcerer, with pictures of the cast and examples of voice-overs, credits with pictures of and info about the design team, a demo of the game, specific details about the game, all musical themes, shots of every location in the game, video clips, saved games, a list of reviews, including a "nostalgic "review and tech specs.
- iPhSoft -- official game website for the iPhone version
- Playing Simon 1 in Windows XP -- Complete instructions by Inferno
- ScummVM -- Get "Simon the Sorcerer", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.