DescriptionSimon is just an ordinary boy in an extra-ordinary world. A world in which he must rescue Calypso the Wizard by embarking on a long challenging quest.
The game is a point-and-click adventure, using a typical interface with words such as ‘Use’, ‘Open’, ‘Walk To’ (unlike Lucasarts’ SCUMM games, a simple click on that area of the screen won’t do) and ‘Pick Up’ (again, a double-click on the item doesn’t suffice).
The game’s plot has a number of references and spoofs to fantasy and fairy tales, with the Three Billy Goats Gruff involved in a particularly significant scene. The humor is very British in places, with lots of dry sarcasm, and lots of Simpsons-esque self-references to the fact that this is a computer game. The levels are non-linear in layout, with puzzles spread across the lands.
- "魔法师西蒙" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "שוליית המכשף" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Simon the Sorcerer I" -- Alternate title
- "Shuliyat Hamechashef" -- Israeli title
Part of the Following Groups
|A nice adventure game from the British version of LucasArts||DOS||*Katakis* (37809)|
|Simon - Cocky Spotty Nose Hero!!||Windows||phil buckley (22)|
|"What’s the point in talking to an empty hole?"||DOS||Happy Rabbi (1305)|
|A very good adventure in classical style, but still below the standards of Lucas Arts||DOS||אולג 小奥 (168858)|
|Funny and fun!||DOS||NatsFan (132)|
|Sierra?....Nah, Adventuresoft here we come!||DOS||Hilary Richardson (15)|
|Great British Adventure Gaming||Windows||ETJB (447)|
|Silly hat, great game||DOS||Depth Lord (943)|
|Forget Guybrush - Take Simon!||DOS||Rantanplan (1711)|
The Press Says
|Gry Onet||iPhone||Sep 23, 2013||9 out of 10||90|
|CU Amiga||Amiga||Feb, 1994||90 out of 100||90|
|Génération 4||DOS||Sep, 1993||89 out of 100||89|
|Tilt||DOS||Oct, 1993||88 out of 100||88|
|Amiga Joker||Amiga||Jan, 1994||85 out of 100||85|
|Jeuxvideo.com||DOS||Jan 28, 2011||17 out of 20||85|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Nov, 1993||84 out of 100||84|
|Defunct Games||Amiga CD32||Jun 07, 2008||80 out of 100||80|
|Adventure Gamers||DOS||Aug 05, 2004||80|
|PC Player (Germany)||DOS||Oct, 1993||75 out of 100||75|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CD-ROM versionThis game first had a disk version and then a CD-ROM version. The CD-ROM version features full speech.
LegacyThe success of this game prompted Adventuresoft to abandon their previous Horrorsoft brand in favour of focusing on mass-market non-adult titles.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1995 – #3 Best Game in 1994 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/1995 – Best Adventure in 1994 (Readers' Vote)
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #90 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1995 – Best German Localization in 1994
Related Web Sites
- Game Nostalgia ( Provides extensive background info for Simon the Sorcerer, with pictures of the cast and examples of voice-overs, credits with pictures of and info about the design team, a demo of the game, specific details about the game, all musical themes, shots of every location in the game, video clips, saved games, a list of reviews, including a "nostalgic "review and tech specs. )
- iPhSoft (official game website for the iPhone version)
- Playing Simon 1 in Windows XP (Complete instructions by Inferno)
- ScummVM (Get "Simon the Sorcerer", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)