DescriptionOriginating in the arcades, Spy Hunter is a driving action game played from an overhead point of view. Your car is equipped with machine guns to help you get past the numerous enemies out on the road (be careful not to shoot any civilians, though!) Occasionally you will come across a weapons van, and if you drive into the back of the van your car becomes equipped with a second weapon (such as smoke screen, oil slick, or missiles). At several points the road splits and you can enter a boathouse which transforms your car into a boat temporarily. If you drive far enough the seasons change as well (watch out for icy conditions during winter!). The enemy cars will do anything to stop you, including running you off the road, firing guns from the back of a limo, or dropping bombs from a helicopter.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Spyhunter" -- Alternate spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Great chase game||Commodore 64||*Katakis* (38317)|
|Brilliant James Bond-esque style action racer.....||Apple II||Garcia (4753)|
|who doesn't like spy hunter!?!||NES||Jeff Koerner (32)|
|The Video Game Critic||ColecoVision||Jul 11, 2012||A||100|
|The Video Game Critic||Atari 2600||Jul 01, 2001||A||100|
|Digital Press - Classic Video Games||ColecoVision||Dec 10, 2003||9 out of 10||90|
|Crash!||ZX Spectrum||May, 1985||89 out of 100||89|
|Zzap!||Commodore 64||May, 1985||87 out of 100||87|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Arcade||Oct 25, 2007||8 out of 10||80|
|Just Games Retro||NES||Dec 24, 2003||70|
|Commodore User||Commodore 64||Mar, 1989||56 out of 100||56|
|Your Spectrum||ZX Spectrum||Jun, 1985||5 out of 15||33|
|The Video Game Critic||NES||Mar 10, 2000||D-||16|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesThe Arcade version of Spy Hunter appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
DevelopmentAccording to the magazine Retro Gamer (issue #2), the game was originally developed as James Bond licensee, but the publisher backed out because of the high licensing fees.
RemakeThere is a freeware remake named Highway Pursuit released in 2003.
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #99 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- May 1985 (Issue 1) - #17 'It's the Zzap! 64 Top 64!'
Related Web Sites
- AtariMania (Atari 2600) (for Atari 2600: downloadable release; online version; cassette inlay; advertisement; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 8-bit) (for (Atari 8-bit): downloadable release; software sets; advertisement; additional material)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (for (BBC Micro): exhibit reference ID CH4319; additional material)
- CPC-Power (in French) (for Amstrad CPC: game database entry; package material; manual digitalizations; downloadable releases; additional material)
- Lemon 64 (for C64: reviews; music; manual; cover art digitalizations; additional material)
- The International Arcade Museum (extensive information about the arcade game machine)
- World of Spectrum (for ZX Spectrum: downloadable releases; additional material including – cassete inlay, advertisement, instructions; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts)