DescriptionGeralt of Rivia saved King Foltest from an unknown assassin at the end of the first game. One month later, he is locked in the dungeons pending execution for a crime he didn't commit. Somehow he must convince his jailers of his innocence and be allowed to hunt down the real Kingslayer. Teaming up with a high-ranking official of Temeria, Geralt conducts his own investigation and is shocked to discover that the mysterious killer is, in all probability, a witcher just like himself.
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is a single-person role-playing game in which the player takes control of Geralt the Witcher in third-person view. The fantasy world of the game is dark, and so are its evils - murder, kidnapping, torture, racism, rape, corruption and prostitution. Politics are complex, and decisions made by those in power can cause kingdoms to fall at any moment. There are monsters that stalk through the sewers and streets, forests and hills, caves and crypts. As one of the few remaining witchers, Geralt's skills are sought by many, and he will face more than atypical foes, each with its own attack methods, strengths and weaknesses. Quests can be solved in different ways, and ethical decisions made will effect which one of the sixteen different endings the player receives.
Geralt fights alone using steel and silver swords with the aid of his magical Signs. Additional tactics are possible with thrown weapons (daggers and bombs) or by placing traps in strategic locations. Time of the day as well as the weather can influence the effectiveness of Geralt's combat techniques. The game abandons the timed combo-based battle system of its predecessor, following a simpler action combat style, including light and strong attacks, blocking, parrying, and dodging. The sequel introduces more types of weapons and heavier armor management. Four difficulty modes are available at the start of a new game (Easy, Normal, Hard or Insane) but can be changed within the game.
Collecting components and reagents is necessary for the alchemy and crafting elements of the game. Pilfering items is unhindered since any chest, barrel or furnishings can be searched without repercussions. Geralt must have the appropriate diagram or formula in inventory to concoct potions and bombs, or to have an item crafted by a merchant. Some weapons contain expansion slots for the addition of magical runes. Armor can be improved with type-specific enhancements. Once endowed, the rune or addition is permanent.
Quick Time Events may appear from time to time and are handled differently depending upon the activity. During fist fights, for instance, the player must press specific keyboard keys quickly as they appear on the screen. In arm wrestling and during certain scenario-specific events, a mouse button must be pressed rapidly or held down when prompted to do so. QTEs are also used in some of the boss battles.
The newly-designed skill tree is divided into four sections, Training, Swordsmanship, Alchemy and Magic, the latter three unlocked after the first is completed. As in the first game, Geralt receives "talent points" when gaining a level; these can be distributed freely by the player to learn and enhance his abilities and skills. New enhancement mutagens can be added to specific abilities at the end of each section of the skill tree.
All versions of the game, released in both DVD and Digital file formats, contain items in addition to the game itself and the manual:
- Trailers, developer diaries, gameplay footage, interviews and "making of" video
- World Map
- Game Guide
- Coin, Envelope (retail version only)
- Free download for DLC content (for owners who register their game)
- "巫師2：王國刺客" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Ведьмак 2: Убийцы королей" -- Russian spelling
- "Wiedźmin 2: Zabójcy Królów" -- Polish title
- "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Premium Edition)" -- Digital release title
- "The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Digital Premium Edition)" -- GOG.com release title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Alchemy
- Gameplay feature: Brothels
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill distribution
- Gameplay feature: Gambling
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Gameplay feature: Quick Time Events / QTEs
- Middleware: Nvidia 3D Vision
- Theme: Amnesia
- The Witcher licensees
- The Witcher series
|I can discuss politics and women all day long, but swimming is still a mystery to me||Cor 13 (173892)|
|A terrific sequel that continues Geralt's story and leads us into the next chapter||Jeanne (75493)|
|Meristation||May 20, 2011||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Game Informer Magazine||May 19, 2011||9.25 out of 10||92|
|Games Aktuell||May 17, 2011||9 out of 10||90|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||May, 2011||18 out of 20||90|
|Lazygamer||Jun 02, 2011||9 out of 10||90|
|Gamereactor (Italy)||May 23, 2011||9 out of 10||90|
|DeltaGamer||May 26, 2011||9 out of 10||90|
|Gameswelt||May 20, 2011||90 out of 100||90|
|Splitkick||Aug 03, 2011||9 out of 10||90|
|Joystiq||May 31, 2011||80|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Who's playing Witcher 2?||17||St. Martyne (3539)
Jul 03, 2011
Added Game Modes/Settings (Patch v2.0)
This is a new gameplay mode that is separate from the main adventure and narrative of The Witcher 2. In this mode, Geralt of Rivia duels a variety of foes to the death in a gladiatorial arena located in an unnamed town somewhere in the Northern Kingdoms. In addition to winning gold and valuable items, players also receive points for their wins. They can then post their point totals on-line to compare their achievements against those of other blood sport enthusiasts around the world. Geralt can encounter both foes and allies in the arena. He can recruit the latter for a fee to assist him during his most challenging clashes. To post your point totals to the forum, you must be registered and have a forum account! Register and establish your account directly through the game launcher or go to www.thewitcher.com. You can then log in to your account via the launcher.
IMPORTANT: Players using mods to alter their character attributes and statistics will not be able to post their point totals from the Arena to the server. This is a necessary precaution to prevent any attempts at distorting competition or misrepresenting player achievements.
The game tutorial takes the form of a brief adventure during which players learn how to use a range of game mechanics and functionalities. Assuming the role of game protagonist Geralt of Rivia, players save a wounded knight named Bolton of Ironford while learning game controls as well as the basics of combat and alchemy. This transpires step by step as the tutorial guides players through a series of minor missions. Upon completion, based on demonstrated abilities, the tutorial recommends the difficulty level which the player should choose in embarking on the main adventure of The Witcher 2.
- Dark Difficulty
The ‘Dark’ difficulty setting is the most demanding difficulty level in gameplay terms. Under this setting, each and every foe represents a significant challenge. In addition to raising the difficulty bar, the module includes several new sets of equipment/items that are linked through a dark legend detailed in the Journal. Once all their components have been collected and donned, the Blasphemer’s, Oathbreaker’s and Kinslayer’s outfits provide great advantages in combat. The swords included in the outfits strip opponents of Vitality while supplementing the witcher’s. However, given that they are cursed, the swords provide no benefit and harm Geralt by sapping him of Vitality as long as the outfits to which they belong remain incomplete.
Amendments to the Game Manual (English)
- Page 9, Map panel – the map can also be scrolled using the mouse (LMB + mouse move) or the keyboard cursor keys.
- Page 10, Key binding - you can also custom bind keys using the configuration tool built into the game launcher.
- Page 27, Bombs – the ‘Beehive’ bomb should be labeled the ‘Grapeshot’ bomb as this is the name used for the weapon in the game.
- Page 31, Quick casting Signs - Signs can also be quick cast by pressing the following: 5 for Aard, 6 for Yrden, 7 for Igni, 8 for Quen, 9 for Axii.
DLC Content (included in patches)
- Equipment (available in inventory at the beginning of the game):
- Blue Stripes Combat Jacket
- Ultimate Alchemist's Outfit
- Ultimate Mage's Outfit
- Ultimate Swordsman's Outfit
- “Finisher Pack” – bonus finishers available from the beginning of the game
- “Mysterious Merchant” - character who can first be encountered in the harbor in Chapter 1 of the game and then in all other game chapters
- “Troll Trouble” - start this quest by finding the relevant notice on the notice board in Chapter 1 of the game. Look for the troll just outside of Flotsam, by the ruined bridge in the forest.
- “Barbers and Coiffeuses” - for a small fee, Geralt can get some merchants to change his hairstyle. Search the notice boards.
- "A Sackful of Fluff" is an additional quest in Chapter 2 of the game. To start the quest, visit the eccentric Elthon, who inhabits a solitary hut near the quarry outside Vergen.
LegalAfter CD Projekt RED announced that THQ would distribute The Witcher 2 on the Xbox 360, Namco Bandai filed a lawsuit against the developer (announced on July 7, 2011). Namco Bandai also alleged in the suit that CD Projekt RED had breached their contract when it removed DRM protection without their knowledge.
In response to the lawsuit Adam Kicinski, CEO of CD Projekt RED, said:
"As with most cases, we first tried to end the dispute peacefully. Attempts failed and because of this, we hoped that our partner would send the case to the court. The agreement that we signed last year, concerned only the distribution of “The Witcher 2? for the PC. The records were carefully clarified to avoid any ambiguity.Dec 8, 2011: The ruling was in favor of Namco Bandai as the European distributor for the Xbox360 port due out in 2012.
Namco Bandai have options when choosing the priority of our distributor’s version of the Xbox 360. It could use, but not taken advantage of certain preferences. In this situation, we chose the offer that THQ made us.
Our financial situation is very good at the moment and the lack of a few million does not have any impact on current activities. Withholding of payments means only that after some time, our partner will have to give us the money.
I hope that the whole thing will end with a pre-litigation settlement. If it doesn’t, I am sure that we will win the case and then the loser will pay for our lawyers."
- 2011 – PC Exclusive of the Year
- GameStar (Germany)
- 2011 - #2 RPG of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- PC Games (Germany)
- Issue 01/2012 - #2 Best RPG in 2011 (Readers' Choice)
- Issue 01/2012 - #3 Best Collector's Edition in 2011 (Readers' Choice)
- Issue 01/2012 - #5 Best Game in 2011 (Readers' Choice)
Related Web Sites
- UHS hint file for The Witcher 2 (gradual hints to help you with the game at your own pace)
The Witcher 2 Game is based on the prose of: