DescriptionZork II: The Wizard of Frobozz is a text adventure, a sequel to the classic first Zork. Once again, the game is set in the Great Underground Empire, but this time the main goal is to face off against the titular Wizard.
Like its predecessor, Zork II plays like any other text adventure: there are no graphics - only text - and the player types commands such as "lift cage" or "examine robot".
There are no promo images for this game
- "Zork II: Le Magicien de Frobozz" -- Canadian French title
- "Zork 2" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
|The largest, toughest, and most buoyant game of the trilogy||DOS||Colin Rowsell (45)|
|A sequel that actually lives up to the paradigm established by the original.||DOS||Mirrorshades2k (273)|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||DOS||May 25, 1998||100|
|Zzap!||Commodore 64||Aug, 1985||92 out of 100||92|
|Amiga Power||Amiga||Jun, 1991||81 out of 100||81|
|SPAG||DOS||Dec 13, 1997||6.4 out of 10||64|
|All Game Guide||Apple II||1998||60|
|64'er||Commodore 64||Aug, 1984||Unscored||Unscored|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Game Statistics(From The New Zork Times Vol.3 No.2 Spring 1984)
Some statistics about Zork 2:
- Apparent number of rooms (those seen by the player): 81
- Number of rooms: 86 (for various arcane programming reasons, some locations are inaccessible to the player)
- Number of different ways to die: 50
- Number of words in vocabulary: 628
- Number of takeable objects: 49
ParodyAs was its predecessor, this game was skewered the following year (1989) by a satirical follow-up game by Bill Larkins entitled Pork 2: The Gizzard of Showbiz.
SubtitleThe odd phrase "the Wizard of Frobozz" of course derives from L. Frank Baum's book The Wizard of Oz.
(Temporary) free distributionAs part of the release of Zork Grand Inquisitor, Activision released Zork II as freeware. (Currently the links to download the game are dead at activision.com, but the game is available at numerous fan sites.)
Other trivia submissions by Belboz and Chris Mikesell
Related Web Sites
- Infocom homepage (At this site you can find information on ALL of Infocom's interactive games, Infocom related articles, sample transcripts, InvisiClue hints, walkthroughs, maps and information on buying Infocom games today.)
- The Commodore Zone: Zork II (introduction, images, related links and comments area.)
- The Infocom Gallery (High-quality scans of the grey box package and manual of Zork II.)
- Zork II on iFiction (Play Zork II through your web browser!)