Forums > Find a game > [Solved] The Factory

NobodysSon (13) on 3/9/2017 11:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So, this is a something I was playing in elementary school on an Apple ][ somewhere between 1982 and 1987.

In the game you were shown a shape and had to choose a variety of machines for a 'blank' to pass through in order for that shape to be created. The different machines did things like rotate the shape 90 degrees, punch holes in it, color it, etc.

When you thought you had the right machines set up in the correct order, you would run the blank through them all, and if the end result matched the goal shape you won. It was supposed to teach logical thinking, I suppose.

I've searched through the puzzle and educational software for the Apple ][ but I can't find a match.

Anyone know the software I am talking about?

Thanks in advance!

Rwolf (22867) on 3/10/2017 8:09 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

There was an educational (logic) game called 'The Factory' (1983) by Sunburst that matches your description. It's not been submitted on mobygames yet, but here is a link to a 1985 review of it, and some other games from the same publisher:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue56/125_2_Reviews_Sunburst_Educational_Software.php

I'm not sure if it was released on it's own, or in a bundle with other educational games. (I did find a version of it, so it will be added eventually)

NobodysSon (13) on 3/11/2017 4:40 AM · Permalink · Report

That is indeed that game, Rwolf! Many thanks for providing the answer.

As is probably the case with many that post here, it is great to put it to rest at last.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 3/11/2017 1:28 AM · Permalink · Report

This sounds like the epitome of Apple 2 educational gaming.

NobodysSon (13) on 3/11/2017 4:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]This sounds like the epitome of Apple 2 educational gaming. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

I guess it left quite an impression on me that I remember it after all this time!