Forums > News > What was the favorite game you played in 2017?

Simon Carless (1834) on 12/17/2017 1:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, it's almost the end of 2017, so rather than ask 'what was your favorite game of the year?', I know that a lot of MobyGames contributors and readers don't necessarily play, uh, new games.

So here's the alternative question - what's the best game that you played during 2017, whether old or new, and why? (And a happy upcoming holidays to you all!)

Plok (216829) on 12/17/2017 1:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Definitely Saints Row 2.

Since I'm a PC-only gamer, this means that I had to torment myself with one of the worst PC ports of all time. Fan-made mods fix a lot of the issues, though.

Before this game, I didn't really feel sandbox games, or non-linear progression that much. Character customizability, story and the amazing world immersed me so hard that it changed these sentiments for me. It was the biggest surprise I had while gaming in the past 365 days.

Victor Vance (18115) on 12/17/2017 2:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Well as a car enthusiast i think i enjoyed playing "Test Drive Unlimited 2" on the PlayStation 3 again the most this year. Second would be either "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" or "Red Dead Redemption" (both also on the PS3 and also played before already).

The most games i played in 2017 were more or less a bit disappointing especially what i had played on the PlayStation 4.

Patrick Bregger (302821) on 12/17/2017 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

The best of 2017:

1) What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)

2) The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (PC)

3) Ace Attorney Trilogy (3DS)

4) One Finger Death Punch (Xbox 360)

5) Bulletstorm (PC)

6) Zero Escape: The Nonary Games & Zero Time Dilemma (PC)

5) Torment: Tides of Numenera (PC)

8) Yakuza 3 (PS3)

The worst of 2017:

1) Thi4f (I actually did not play it in 2017, but it deserves the top spot for all eternity)

2) The average uninspired crap on XBLIG.

Cavalary (11446) on 12/18/2017 11:06 AM · Permalink · Report

tries to figure out how can 5 be a typo from 7 :p

Patrick Bregger (302821) on 12/18/2017 4:44 PM · Permalink · Report

That's easy! Change the order around in the last second...

vedder (70974) on 12/17/2017 3:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I played The Witness early this year. That definitely reached my all time hall of fame! Other highlights that I played this year were Torment: Tides of Numenera which is a great modernization of Planescape Torment. Dishonored 2 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided because I'm a sucker for this type of games! SOMA for being creepy. Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap for making me relive my favourite childhood game in a superb remake! Rocket League although I stopped playing it somewhere this year.

vedder (70974) on 12/30/2017 4:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd like to add Tomb Raider (2013) to my list. Very pleasantly surprised! My favourite Tomb Raider!

Patrick Bregger (302821) on 12/30/2017 6:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I could never get into the Core Design Tomb Raiders, but I enjoyed the reboot as well. Everything gameplay-related was very well made, fantastic setpieces, but the narrative was stupid.

I also recommend Rise of the Tomb Raider, I liked it even more.

Flapco (46056) on 12/17/2017 6:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Mostly played some classic older games this year:

1. Donkey Kong Country Returns Wii

2. God of War I & II PS2, God of War III PS4

3. Sin & Punishment: Star Successor Wii

4. Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands Wii

5. Ratchet & Clank 1&2 PS2 (though I liked 3 the most but played that one last year)

6. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy PS2 (I finished all three this year but liked this one the most)

7. The Scorpion King: Rise of the Akkadian PS2

Worst:

1. Xena: Warrior Princess PS2

2. Masters of the Universe: He-Man - Defender of Grayskull PS2

3. Soulcalibur: Legends Wii

Most surprising budget title:

1. Gadget & Gadgetinis PS2

Patrick Bregger (302821) on 12/17/2017 9:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I also played God of War this year (PS3 version) and thought it was boring, Gore and tits were good enough to please my inner twelve-year-old, but it lost its appeal very fast. I also hated the quick-time events.

MAT (240988) on 12/18/2017 6:40 AM · Permalink · Report

God of War game was amazing on PS2 in 2005, the HD versions not so much. However, God of War III was totally awesome!! Making all those gods and giants fear as Kratos take them all down, it was utterly amazing. Played GoW 3 on PS3 several years ago though.

Flapco (46056) on 12/18/2017 8:24 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I agree that the quick-time events could have been left out. The final quick-time events I completed with more luck than skill. I really liked the ancient Greek setting though.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 12/17/2017 8:17 PM · Permalink · Report

A big year, finally got my PS3 hooked up and got to experience something remotely like modern gaming. (Ahh, so this is what everyone was talking about with Little Big Planet...) But most of my experiences were still on mobile devices, so for new games Seedship and Universal Paperclips remain near the top of my mind. Most of my home gaming experiences were with old kids' games to play with my 5-year-old daughter, so I've really got to hand it to Humongous Entertainment, all of their adventure games, which we have now seen repeatedly (and with gratefully playthrough-unique changes!) have had a lot to enjoy. They never got taken seriously back in the day by the hardcore adventure acolytes of Sierra and Lucasfilm, but their games are the equal of those if not exceeding them.

Josh Gunderson (30) on 12/17/2017 8:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm really diggin Divinity: Original Sin II.

Others of note: Stellar Overload, Factorio, Big Pharma, SHENZHEN SOLITAIRE.

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (569361) on 12/17/2017 8:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Mine just has to be Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

Not only one of the most anticipated Nintendo/Zelda games for me, but also because of the new game console (the Switch). Completely revamping the play-style of "go here, do that" into "meh, your awake, do your thing, we'll wait what you gonna do when ever whatever".

Art style/Graphics, play-style, open world. I like everything about the game, i just need to mention the things i don't like: "The freaking breakable weapons". A toothpick can take more damage before breaking, than some of these weapons. But all in all, love it.!

PS. Huge Legend of Zelda fan here! :P

• 2. Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
  • 3. NieR: Automata (PC/PS4)
  • 4. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (PS4)
  • 5. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)

GTramp (81961) on 12/18/2017 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Played a lot of games this year, as usual. Both new and old, co-op and solo.

Really enjoyed these ones:

1. Resident Evil 7 (with DLCs, 2017, PC). Amazing how the transition to 1st person changed the game. Really enjoyed the story, presentation and gameplay. Now that two new DLCs have been released I can't wait to try them (just after I finish Bully: Scholarship Edition).
  2. Overcooked (2016, PC). Very enjoyable in co-op with a kid. Had a lot of fun! Last boss though... ugh.
  3. Rise of the Tomb Raider (with DLCs, 2016, PC). The game brings nothing new that we haven't seen before, but still it's very enjoyable. And I'm a Lara's fan, so I couldn't miss it. One of the DLCs, where you need to survive in the woods is really good. Permanent death makes this kind of game play so much better.
  4. Inside (2016, PC). I knew exactly what this game was going to be, an artistical continuation of Limbo, but it amazed me none the less.
  5. La-Mulana (2012 remake, PC). A 2D exploration game of gargantuan proportions. It's just shockingly vast and cryptic.
  6. The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1995, Genesis). A graphical and audio marvel showing what good old Mega Drive was capable of. The gameplay in general takes getting used to, but it's beatable once you start to think of it as a side-scrolling shmup. It's been on my backlog since late 90-s.
  7. The Adventures of Tintin: The Game (2011, PC). I expected it to be a cheap movie tie-in, but in reality it's a fun yet simple game. The co-op mode was quite good.
  8. Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron (1993, Genesis). Arguably worse than the 1st Toejam game, but still very enjoyable in co-op.
  9. Metal Gear (1987, MSX, played on PS3 as a bonus game in Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence). Still awesome game after all these years. I think I enjoyed it even more than MGS3, and definitely more than MG2, available on the same disc. It's so simple, yet so clear and fun.
  10. Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (2013, PS3). Created by a different developer, it still captures the essence of Sly games masterfully. Completed it just yesterday.
  11. Kirby Super Star (1996, SNES). I think it was a good move to divide a Kirby title into 6 different games.
  12. Cuphead (2017, PC). Well, it was beautiful and fast. But sadly, I can't remember any standout moments several months after beating it.

MAT (240988) on 12/18/2017 6:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox One, 2013), it took me a while to get XB1 console, even though I had this game for a while, but it was one of the main reasons why I got the console, and it did deliver greatly. I like roman era setting in games, and the graphic looks awesome still in 2017.

The other was Firewatch (Windows, 2016). It was very graphically pleasing and despite not having direct conversation with on screen NPCs, ambiance was amazing and talking to another person from a nearby watchtower all the time was really cool as much as it was mysterious. For an indie game this sure looks like an AAA title to me. One of those games where you don't have to fear anything or fight all the time, yet still explore both beautiful and dangerous areas.

Kennyannydenny (128158) on 12/18/2017 11:04 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

• 1) Rise of the Tomb Raider - I really like action-adventure games and this was a great installment. Exploring, good story.
  • 2) Divinity: Original Sin II - What an amazing game! I'm playing it with two friends and have hundreds of hours already in it. Completed my first playthrough a couple of days ago and we're going to start a second tonight. Amazing story, so much choices and things that influence the story, many great areas, fun combat mechanics, my number game this year and probably in the top 5 of ever.
  • 3) Middle-earth: Shadow of War - Really fun to play, especially with the nemesis mechanic. I've written a review about this one here on Mobygames as the game does have its flaws, but its still worth playing.
  • 4) Pokemon Ultra Sun - I've bought a Nintendo New 2DS XL a month ago and bought Ultra Sun with it. This was my first Nintendo system ever and I really enjoy playing this game, catching Pokemon. It's also my first handheld ever :P
  • 5) Total War: Warhammer II - I normally never enjoy any grand strategy games, it's just too overwhelming. But with Warhammer II I thouroughly enjoyed it.

Haven't played Assassin's Creed Origins yet, but it's sitting on the self to be the next after i've completed Shadow of War's achievements.

Cavalary (11446) on 12/18/2017 11:21 AM · Permalink · Report

After an unusually strong start of the year, with Torchlight (bleah) and Driftmoon (if only...) played and finished in January, I ended up with an even worse "performance" than usual. Not counting the handful of "protest" games created here in February which I also submitted here and the very brief poking around again without actually advancing in Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker which was around that same time, just played, but didn't finish, Eschalon: Book I, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic and Disciples: Sacred Lands. Did finish the campaign of Disciples, but then started that "Divine Empire" series of scenarios included in the Gold Edition and stopped after 5 of the 21, poked through 6th after a while, recently, but not going well and stopped again. Currently poking through AoW:SM again, but wondering whether I'll even finish this scenario (3rd of Nomad campaign) before the end of the year.

So, best out of the 2 finished, obviously Driftmoon because Torchlight felt like somebody took the daily grind quests out of a poor F2P MMO and turned them into a single player game. Best out of the 5 that can "count", though things may change by the end (less so for Disciples, but still), probably AoW:SM. But nothing to write home about in general.

Sciere (930972) on 12/18/2017 12:43 PM · Permalink · Report

• Dishonored II
  • Hellblade
  • NaissancE (replay)
  • NieR: Automata
  • Overcooked (local co-op)
  • Superhot (replay)
  • Wolfenstein II

Karsa Orlong (151808) on 12/18/2017 2:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Uncharted 4 and The Last of Us. Perfect examples how the games for consoles should look like.

Harmony♡ (21847) on 12/19/2017 10:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

NieR: Automata was definitely my game of the year. Fantastic story and OST, and it's stuck with me for months after I finished it. I also played the PC port of Rez Infinite after missing out on the PS4 release, and yep, Rez is still one of my top games of all time. I have mixed feelings on the new content developed for Infinite, but it's definitely some really pretty eye candy.

I also finally picked up 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors (the original DS version) after what seems like years of people bugging me to play it. Now I know what I've been missing out on all this time. I'll probably end up checking out more of (Spike) Chunsoft's earlier games; even though their more recent stuff's been a letdown from me, I've really enjoyed all the games I've played from them from the 7th generation era.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to enjoy any recent console exclusives. I still don't have a PS4, and I was only able to get my Switch a couple weeks ago. Hopefully in 2018 I'll be able to catch up on all the releases I missed out on this year and last.

Adzuken (836) on 12/19/2017 3:01 PM · Permalink · Report

My favourite new game of the year was Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. After having a falling out with the series that culminated in the agonizing Skyward Sword, I'm glad to be back on board. Breath of the Wild reinvents a lot of the series' facets in positive ways. I can't say enough good things about the game, I absolutely adore it.

Mario Odyssey was also a fantastic release from Nintendo. It had a massive number of collectibles, and I was still able to complete the entire game. Even when everything was said and done, I still felt the need to go back to it. Absolutely stellar.

In terms of old games I experience for the first time, Fallout 2 was the big standout. After failing so hard to get past the opening temple section for the past few years, finally getting through it and experiencing the wide open world beyond was extremely gratifying.

Aside from that, I enjoyed Cuphead, but, as someone else here mentioned, it's not the sort of game that sticks with you. I went through a stint of playing through a number of the notorious Army Men titles and found World War to be the most surprisingly enjoyable one. Splatoon 2 was a great continuation of the series, but doesn't really add much to it. Mario+Rabbids, on the other hand, was surprisingly unique.

Tuomas Sääksniemi on 12/22/2017 12:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Favorite game I played that was released 2017 is NieR:Automata and best game I played 2017 is Dark Souls.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 12/22/2017 8:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Best game I played in 2017 that was released in 2017: the final expansion for "Dark Souls III". Best game I played in 2017 overall: the first Dark Souls (second time around), but the old "Planet's Edge" was pretty cool too :)

Evgenii Andzhe (18249) on 12/22/2017 5:44 PM · Permalink · Report

The game I did enjoyed the most this year is Horizon: Zero Dawn. I didn't expect much from the story and the game itself, but oh my god I was so wrong when I jumped to conclusions before a game was even released. The graphics in this game is fantastic. The storytelling, voice acting, and characters were surprisingly good. I never finished my platinum run, but I am planning to do it in January.