Forums > News > No Australian release for Blitz

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 1/20/2007 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Blitz: The League, an American football game that involves strong violence and drug use, has been rejected by the OFLC. Blitz allows players to use steroids before a game to improve performance. We all know that any responsible adult is not going to use steroids, whether they play sport or not, but since I am not interested in sports, I have no need for this.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/21/2007 2:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Does the use of steroids lead to a mini-game where you try to kill your family? Any responsible adult game designer would have included that.

Maw (832) on 1/21/2007 7:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I seem to remember Duke Nukem 3D lets you use steroids and the Australians had no beef with it. (Yeah, I know it was censored due to strippers and whatnot but the steroids weren't targeted in any way).

Reborn_Demon (127) on 1/21/2007 9:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Grand Theft Auto, a game that included guns, killing, blood, prostitutes, gang wars, swearing, hijacking, police attacks (among other various things), WAS released in Australia but a game with only steriods and swearing was BANNED!?

Woah, way to send a message to the kids; "It's alright if you kidnap that girl, shoot that man, blow up a few more cars - as long as you don't touch my stash of steriods!"

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 1/22/2007 12:20 AM · Permalink · Report

As if Americans were planing on buying it anyway.

Luis Silva (13443) on 1/22/2007 3:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I think the issue here is "Steroids on sport".

NatsFan (68) on 1/22/2007 2:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I hate steroids, they ruin the sport.

D Michael (222) on 1/24/2007 4:10 PM · Permalink · Report

You know, this seems really odd to me. Most western countries such as those in Europe, and Australia, NZ, etc. have very liberal perspectives and policies when compared to the US, except when it comes to video games.

Things like public nudity and nudity in common magazine ads (Calvin Klein for example) are the norm in places like Germany and other Euro countries. Some of these countries allow for open drug use, and others still have very liberal perspectives that otherwise thwart censorship. Yet when it comes to video games, the opposite is true.

Australia may be a bit different, but is still a nation with extreme liberal public policy when compared to the United States. I don't know why countries such as these do a complete 180 when the subject matter in question is video games.

DarkBubble (342) on 1/24/2007 7:13 PM · Permalink · Report

It's like removing the word "ninja" from games (Ninja Gaiden became Shadow Warriors) or swapping robots in place of anything human or humanoid in Contra, turning it into Probotector. It makes no sense.

Dear Game Industry,

Keep your sports out of my drugs.