Forums > News > Another MobyGames update

Brian Hirt (10407) on 6/8/2007 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I pushed out a new update to MobyGames today. The main changes that most people will notice is that the home page has changed. The home page has been redesigned to better highlight new contributions by the community. There have also been some changes made to MobyRank and some back end improvement to help the approvers out along with some various other fixes/improvements.

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 6/8/2007 8:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Pretty sweet.

I also notice that comments left to an approver can now be multi-line.

Kabushi (261375) on 6/8/2007 8:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Spotted a bug. On the top games list, the non-link text is grey, making it impossible to read.

tarmo888 (5258) on 6/8/2007 9:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

also, these new things on Main Page don't take account if i use pc.mobygames.com or j2me.mobygames.com or symbian.mobygames.com

i think there are more pages that doesn't take that account, like contribution rating stats (that would be sweet feature). ability to filter like that is super, lets not make more pages where this is ignored.

am i only one who uses that feature :D

Sciere (930969) on 6/8/2007 8:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The filter section for approvers is very nice. I just spotted another bug, when approving portraits (and likely bios), developers and users cannot longer be associated. This also doesn't work when using the manual function in the menu. When entering a user's name or the user id, the system always outputs that nothing can be found.

tarmo888 (5258) on 6/8/2007 8:33 PM · Permalink · Report

ahhaaa, thats why i lost access to mobygames for a little time. thanks for changes!

DJP Mom (11333) on 6/8/2007 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Ooh, nice!

Donatello (466) on 6/8/2007 9:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Pretty damn cool. At first I like was "Whoa!". It's funny how simple design changes can do that. It must be the magic of MobyGames!

DJP Mom (11333) on 6/8/2007 9:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It sort of looks like...Moby threw open the front door...kind of a "Come on in and sit down and partake" feel.

xroox (3895) on 6/8/2007 10:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

At first I was shocked by the change! Hehe, yes, it's funny how used you get to things.

Very quickly though, I realised that this is an excellent update that makes me check out more games because I can see a miniature screenshot or boxshot which intrigues me. Good work Brian!

Trixter (8954) on 6/8/2007 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Brilliant!! I love how the boxes line up with each other (even though they have different-sized rows) and how they resize with larger browser windows. Nice!

Игги Друге (46653) on 6/9/2007 12:12 AM · Permalink · Report

I suddenly find that I must scroll my browser window left and right, which I didn't have to do before. Even on simple windows such as the one for adding a new company.

Sicarius (61517) on 6/9/2007 7:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Browsing at 1600x1200 and the new front page looks awesome. But I've to say the new game group browser is for me the more important addition!

Thanks!

Reborn_Demon (127) on 6/9/2007 8:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Woah. The boxes kinda shocked me at first, and I thought that I may have cached a glitch or something at first glance. Love the idea, but I have mixed thoughts of it, but I'm sure I'll get used to it I suppose. Like I say, I love the idea of having (for example) the newest reviews showing their summary and game cover compared to the words "New review for...". Interesting update indeed.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/9/2007 8:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I am shocked. This feels so weird. I restarted a couple of times until I realized that it was not a glitch. I guess Ill get used to it... perhaps. I havent still quite grasped the new forums even. Takes me a while to find that interesting topic to which I just posted a few hours ago.

Terok Nor (42726) on 6/9/2007 10:23 AM · Permalink · Report

The source stats when approving MobyRanks don't seem to work correctly. Looks like the same stats are displayed no matter what the source is.

DarkBubble (342) on 6/9/2007 3:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I like it! It's clean and the layout's nice.

Depeche Mike (17454) on 6/9/2007 11:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I just got back and I really like it. Sorry for not saying it earlier.

Doppelgamer (184) on 6/10/2007 12:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Very nice all around. I particularly like the new search box.

tarmo888 (5258) on 6/10/2007 8:08 PM · Permalink · Report

"game group browser" has wrong link on ChangeLog page

DJP Mom (11333) on 6/10/2007 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I keep wondering if the logon screen is going to be fixed - "succussfully"? :-)

Guy Chapman (1748) on 6/22/2007 9:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Overall, I like it. It's a lot more eye-catching in presentation. Adding the game boxes is a nice touch.

Zonker (879) on 6/23/2007 1:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Maybe a little late, but am I the only one whose e-mail adress isn't showing up anymore in the profile? I can't even change it (neither "don't allow anyone to see my email address." nor "allow others to see my email address" in the configuration stays selected after I save a change). I think this happens since the update went online. Any way to fix that?

In other news, I really like the new main page. Helps a lot to occasionally find stuff for games one hasn't thought of looking into before (or discover new games).

Sicarius (61517) on 6/23/2007 2:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I have the same problem but I think that I already had it before the update. Not sure though.

My email was set to private the whole time and now I wanted to make it public but when I select it and save the setting, it still says (private) in my profile and when I go back to the settingspage, none of the two email options are selected.

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 6/23/2007 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I noticed this too. Brian's been out of town and so hasn't checked for a fix yet, but he knows there's... something.

gamewarrior (5039) on 6/23/2007 10:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I've noticed something else. When I submit any information and hover the cursor over misspelled words, I don't see a list of possible spellings. I'm not sure if this is just part of the update or what.