Forums > MobyGames > S.I.F.T. - a MobyGames Tool.

Matt McLemore on 1/25/2011 11:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Hello. This is my first post at MobyGames.

I created this tool which will compare the names of games at MobyGames to a dat file. I know that MobyGames isn't concerned about whether or not the titles of games at MobyGames match a dat file, but it is still a great way to find and correct possible errors in titles at MobyGames.

Two examples from the Readme.txt: “The genesis.ini has a section named 'Adventures of Yogi Bear'. This Cover Shot proves that it is incorrect. http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/adventures-of-yogi-bear

Although no cover shot is shown, alternate names may be listed as in this example. http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/sink-or-swim Use the 'view list' option (Described below) to find the correct dat name. In this case 'Man OverBoard SS Lucifer'”

Currently the program only helps to identify a game that might need renaming, without any type of output. It would be very simple for me to create a list of Url's along with the new suggested name if that seems appropriate. Give S.I.F.T. a try, and let me know if you find it useful, or if I can help in any way.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3fs5jrnfcb6pg45/Moby%20S.I.F.T.7z

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/25/2011 11:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm.

Well, where does the information in the .dat file come from?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 1/26/2011 12:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Hang on -- are we comparing titles to use Moby's covers to correct the dat or the other way around?

Indra was here (20752) on 1/26/2011 12:46 AM · Permalink · Report

suspicious

Matt McLemore on 1/27/2011 12:33 PM · Permalink · Report

The dats are from: http://datomatic.no-intro.org/

I provided this as a way to correct Titles at Moby. Or at least to find possible incorrect titles. As I said, The program currently does not output anything. If you would like me too, I would be happy to output a list of URLs, along with the suggested new name that the user can submit. Or whatever may suit your needs. Right now, I just need to know if there is interest in this.

So far as suspicious. I am a well known member of the emulation community. In most places (GameEx, Hyperspin, Emumovies) I am known as 'Tempest'. At Autohotkey.com, and BYOAC I am known as Morpheus because the user name Tempest was taken.

If you are concerned with the program being a virus, you can use Sandboxie to try it out.

If there is interest in further development, please let me know.

Indra was here (20752) on 1/27/2011 1:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It lives! Sorry 'bout that. This part-time jig as an amateur spam-bot detector tends to make me jumpy. :p

To answer your question, BurningStickMan's question up there needs to be clarified a bit. Where does http://datomatic.no-intro.org/ get their title names from?

The thing is, everything here requires a verifiable source for approval. Preferably first party (publisher/developer) or third parties with some acknowledgeable repute. Even if there are some discrepancies detected between the titles in datomatic and MobyGames, what kind of title is it? For example, is it simply incorrect or an alternate title? If it is an alternate title, what type (e.g. Antarctic release title)?

So, as a matter of practicality, anyone who does use your program, must eventually commit additional research to identify the title correction, for it to be even remotely considered by the approvers. Thus, unless there are additional features in the future that may help verification, I'm afraid this isn't terribly useful as far as MG policy goes.

Matt McLemore on 1/27/2011 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

No problem so far as worrying about spam.

I understand a little bit about your policies regarding verification. That is why I do not want to submit a list to you myself. I am NOT recommending that you take the dat names at their word. What I am suggesting is that if someone that you do trust here at Mobygames wanted to use my program to take a look at possible file names issues, that my program would be most useful. I tested using the genesis dat, and ini file that I provide in the download. I can tell you that if my program says that the name of the game in moby is wrong, then it probably is. My program will take you directly to the page at Moby, and most of the time you can verify yourself by looking at the Moby cover that the game is indeed titled incorrectly.

Two Examples: The genesis.ini has a section named 'Adventures of Yogi Bear'. This Cover Shot proves that it is incorrect. http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/adventures-of-yogi-bear

Although no cover shot is shown, alternate names may be listed as in this example.
           http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/sink-or-swim
           Use the 'view list' option (Described below) to find the correct dat name. In this case 'Man OverBoard SS Lucifer"

Matt McLemore on 1/27/2011 9:30 PM · Permalink · Report

The genesis.ini information is a list of Game names and URls from Moby.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/27/2011 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt McLemore wrote--] Two Examples: The genesis.ini has a section named 'Adventures of Yogi Bear'. This Cover Shot proves that it is incorrect. http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/adventures-of-yogi-bear

Although no cover shot is shown, alternate names may be listed as in this example.
           http://www.mobygames.com/game/genesis/sink-or-swim
           Use the 'view list' option (Described below) to find the correct dat name. In this case 'Man OverBoard SS Lucifer"

[/Q --end Matt McLemore wrote--]

I think I'm following what you're trying to do here. I'm not sure it's going to help like you think though, because I'm not sure these titles are actually "incorrect"

First, be aware that official policy is that the U.S. title is supposed to be used for the entry. As names frequently changed with localization, we have to just pick one territory (U.S. was chosen) for the main entry, and cover the rest as alternate titles.

So in the case of the Yogi Bear game, you're looking at a European cover. Without the U.S. cover we don't know for sure, but my guess is the U.S. release is indeed "Adventures of Yogi Bear". This would have been confirmed at the time of the entry's original approval.

The European title "Yogi Bear's Cartoon Capers" is correctly added as an alternate title. So this entry actually is correct, as far as Moby standards are concerned.

Does this make sense?

Lain Crowley (6629) on 1/27/2011 10:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Found a SNES cart that confirms Adventures is the north american title.

Indra was here (20752) on 1/27/2011 10:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

In addition to what BurningStickMan said above, I don't see much of a problem. The title errors you mentioned are already listed in the alternate titles. The main title we use here by default is (unfortunately) the US title (when not available, any English title, followed by original title release).

BTW, the just to make things clear. If the title in the coverart happens to be different from the main title display, it does not mean that the main title is incorrect. Just that the coverart is probably not the US release.

Matt McLemore on 1/28/2011 3:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Ok. I just wanted to offer it if would be helpful to you in any way. Thanks for your time.

Indra was here (20752) on 1/28/2011 7:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Aye. Sorry we couldn't use your tool.

<hr />

Which got me thinking. If the release info displayed is the main rapsheet is let's say German. Wouldn't it be odd if the main title name is a US title? I mean visitors do not know that the main title displayed is by default the US title, nor is there any indication in the game rapsheet saying that it's the US title.

If you type down titles repeatedly fast, you get some really interesting results. Er, nevermind.

vedder (71174) on 1/28/2011 8:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I think Rob mentioned something about work on a new way to handle alternative titles for different countries. So I'm kind of hoping that once this is done, users can opt to change the main title to the original release or their home country release.

What would be nice is if it showed a flag or something next to each title.

Klaster_1 (57610) on 1/28/2011 8:35 AM · Permalink · Report

That should probably come in rather soon, since all alternative title submissions are getting escalated for at least a week now. I hope so.

beetle120 (2415) on 1/28/2011 10:57 AM · Permalink · Report

This tool could be helpful in finding if that alternative title has been added yet. Also makes me think that we should run bots though the database to find any logic errors that the approvers may of missed, doesn't meet the new standards, or things that still need to be added. Like for example checking reviews made before the review source founded date; flagging short game descriptions; comparing this database with another like OFLC, if there is an offline database made/available for finding missing classifications; or a quick cover check that can manually checked with the cover on the left and all names of that game on the right so the user can quickly next, next to add alt names.

Just an idea.

vedder (71174) on 1/28/2011 11:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Automatically adding easily mineable info such as release info and covers from certain online portals such as Steam and GOG.

Indra was here (20752) on 1/28/2011 1:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start beetle120 wrote--]This tool could be helpful in finding if that alternative title has been added yet. Also makes me think that we should run bots though the database to find any logic errors that the approvers may of missed, doesn't meet the new standards, or things that still need to be added. [/Q --end beetle120 wrote--] We're practically centuries behind wikipedia in this regard. You'd have to ask some of the more senior approvers about this. Used to be a discussion about it, before my time.

Like veddar said, if the software could be adapted to data mine something else, like hard-to-find release dates, that would be something.

Matt McLemore on 1/29/2011 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

If you guys come up with an idea of something that WOULD be useful to you I would try to accomodate. I will keep an eye on this topic.