🤔 How many games has Beethoven been credited on? (answer)

Forums > MobyGames > Poll: Which is the top RTS Strategy?

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/28/2011 9:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Out of the following which is the top RTS Strategy?

• Booming: Leaving your base relatively defenseless at the start as you quickly climb the tech tree eventually creating super-units.
  • Cheesing: Setting up teleporters or turrets just outside the your enemy's base to constantly attack them.
  • Raiding: Sending out small teams of troops to knock out any straggling squads or undefended posts to distract the enemy.
  • Rushing: churning out many of your cheapest, nastiest soldier to quickly destroy the enemy.
  • Turtling: Building up your base and your defenses until they are nearly impenetrable.

This poll was Contributed by beetle120 (2318) on 19.04.2010.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/28/2011 9:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q]Turtling: Building up your base and your defenses until they are nearly impenetrable.[/Q]

I am notoriously bad at strategy games. In multiplayer matches, I am usually wiped off the map before the game has really started. That's possibly the main reason why I play them very rarely. But if I do, turtling is my strategy of choice. I found that with all of my strategic and tactical inability, it allows me to survive the longest... I lack the multi-tasking capabilities required for more offensive strategies. So if you're as bad as I am, it's definitely the top strategy.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 2/28/2011 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't play many rts games, but I usually go with the turtle strategy. It's quite satisfying to see a Zerg rush fail miserably when they come up to the gate. 8)

beetle120 (2415) on 2/28/2011 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

First of a few "Out of the following..." polls I submitted.

Not a big RTS fan but know people who are. Turtling would be my strategy of choice (never really attack the enemy until I have a super army 5x more powerful then the them) but have a friend that says Rushing is the best in AOEIII.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/2/2011 3:06 AM · Permalink · Report

AOEII happens to be the game where I remember most humiliatingly losing in the few RTS multiplayer matches I've played. The time periods are really tricky. Just as in Empire Earth, I used to be taken off guard by how quickly my opponents reached the highest technological levels.

Indra was here (20752) on 3/1/2011 2:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Build walls at least seven rows thick and wait for the opposing human player to surrender without even engaging in one single battle. Worked at least thrice for me.

Starbuck the Third (22601) on 3/1/2011 12:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Turtling is the tactic for me as well. Or to be more exact, it's what I call the turtled bulldozer approach, and it goes like this:

• Step 1: build big, fat base defenses.
  • Step 2: build big, fat army
  • Step 3: I won't insult your intelligence by telling you what this is, as you've probably guessed