Forums > MobyGames > Metro Apps

MrMamen (11747) on 8/3/2012 5:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Just wondering, what platform should Windows Metro apps (for windows 8) go into? Windows, Windows Phone, or a new category?

vedder (71144) on 8/3/2012 6:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd say either Windows or a new Windows 8 platform, not Windows Phone in any case.

Kabushi (261374) on 8/3/2012 6:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't think a new Windows platform is likely. Is the difference between 7 and 8 greater than between XP and Vista?

vedder (71144) on 8/3/2012 7:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Comparable I'd say. Windows RT (The ARM processor version of Windows 8) probably should be a new platform though.

Unlike Vista and Windows 7 however, Windows 8 is going to have a lot of games that aren't backwards compatible due to them being Metro apps.

MrMamen (11747) on 9/27/2012 12:07 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Comparable I'd say. Windows RT (The ARM processor version of Windows 8) probably should be a new platform though.

Unlike Vista and Windows 7 however, Windows 8 is going to have a lot of games that aren't backwards compatible due to them being Metro apps. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] So. Windows 8 is arriving soon. Some games are already available for windows RT (Windows 8). Time for an update?

MrMamen (11747) on 8/3/2012 7:36 PM · Permalink · Report

As you probably know, Windows 8 comes in two modes. Desktop mode which is very similar to Windows 7, except that the start menu is removed, and a metro mode. New devices with windows phone 8 should run more or less the same metro version. I think it is a requirement that all apps released into windows 8 marked should be able to run both on windows 8 and windows phone 8. They will share the same interface and structure. I think the proper name for the metro mode of windows 8 (at least for phones) is Windows RT. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT

qwertyuiop (52295) on 8/3/2012 11:37 PM · Permalink · Report

The RT mode of Windows 8 is significantly different in technical, interactive, and distribution methods, and I definitely want it to be a new platform.

1) On a technical level, RT apps run in a sandbox, are not allowed to interact with the root system in many ways, and generally resemble a Windows Phone app more than a Windows program.

2) Interaction-wise, they must run full-screen, and many are designed primarily for touch-style interaction.

3) For distribution, everything must go through the Microsoft Store, and pass certification.

RT apps will not work under older versions of Windows. (Unless the RT interface is backported or something.) Older apps will not work under RT, which is why the desktop mode is included.

Rola (8482) on 8/4/2012 12:18 AM · Permalink · Report

From what I gather those apps should get own platform here.

Instead of my usual "I have bad feelings about this":

Valve says "I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

Blizzard tweets "not awesome for Blizzard either".

chirinea (47507) on 8/4/2012 1:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]From what I gather those apps should get own platform here.

Instead of my usual "I have bad feelings about this":

Valve says "I think Windows 8 is a catastrophe for everyone in the PC space."

Blizzard tweets "not awesome for Blizzard either". [/Q --end Rola wrote--]"The big problem that is holding back Linux is games". Maybe Gabe Newell saying that will make people hear.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/4/2012 2:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] "The big problem that is holding back Linux is games". Maybe Gabe Newell saying that will make people hear. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] And if you were to deal with some stubborn heathen that refuses to hear Maese Newell's words, you can always throw numbers at them.

Klaster_1 (57610) on 8/4/2012 4:15 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just to clarify things for myself, do Windows 8 HTML5 and RT native applications differ?

qwertyuiop (52295) on 8/22/2012 3:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]Just to clarify things for myself, do Windows 8 HTML5 and RT native applications differ? [/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--] There are 3 ways to write a RT application. HTML5, C#, and C++. All three are in the same sandbox, and generally are just different ways to write the same application. So, not in any way Mobygames cares about.