Forums > MobyGames > Cancelled/discounted platforms?

Dave247 (64) on 1/4/2021 1:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Is there a way on Mobygames to show when a game has been cancelled or discounted on a particular platform? Say after release the developer decides to discontinue support for Linux, and remove the build from Steam meaning there would be no longer any way to access it.

Is there a particular way to submit it as a correction? I had a read through the guidelines but couldn't find any mention of it, and I would think simply removing it wouldn't be correct either. Ore maybe this is something that just simply isn't tracked on Mobygames?

Rwolf (23126) on 1/4/2021 2:06 PM · Permalink · Report

No, we don't track game cancellations like these, as far as I know. Ther ownership of a game IP can transfer to other companies and they may be revived after awhile, like on GoG etc. This is just registered as a new release for Mobygames, but the old releases ending are not tracked as such.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 1/4/2021 3:41 PM · Permalink · Report

You can track that in trivia, if you like. Or even like this, in forum posts 8)

lights out party (85764) on 1/10/2021 4:28 PM · Permalink · Report

In most cases when a game is discontinued for Linux on Steam, if you own it you can still install it if you're on Linux even if it isn't promoted or updated. There are exceptions, though.

Physical games go out of print and become unavailable all the time, and there are still ways to get discontinued games even if they're not sold as they still exist.

Foxhack (32099) on 1/11/2021 4:10 AM · Permalink · Report

I've never heard of any Linux builds that were permanently yanked, what game(s) are you talking about? I'm curious, more than anything else.

Anyway, even if the platform is no longer legally available, just like you said, there's other ways of obtaining or playing the games. Besides, we track releases, not availability (that goes in trivia)

lights out party (85764) on 1/11/2021 4:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

What comes to mind is Echo Tokyo: Phoenix.
I believe every game from that studio had its Linux version pulled in the same way after they stopped supporting Linux/Mac, though I don't know about continued availability on Mac as I don't have one.

I'm quite sure I've encountered at least one more case, but I can't recall which game it would be right now. It's definitely rare.

firefang9212 (81837) on 1/16/2021 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

An example I'm aware of is 911 Operator. The Linux version of that was dropped a few months after the game's launch due to technical issues.