🤔 How many games has Beethoven been credited on? (answer)

Forums > MobyGames > Credits.

Edwin Drost (9676) on 3/8/2021 1:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Something that bothers me and wants to talk about it.

While I was STILL working to submit some games (and having trouble with the right words) I soon discover that someone (and I am looking at YOU) has already done the credits while the whole thing WAS NOT EVEN FINISHED IN WIP!!!

Maybe you want to help, but it really does not help me at all. It just comes off (in my eyes) as if someone want barge in other people work, because they really do not care about or respect the person's efforts to complete it in best perfect way on their own and gets someone else points in the progress. Not that I really care about the points though, but it still sucks. Why doing this and can you just stop?

How do others feel if it happened to them? Do people find it okay or do they have the same feeling about it as me?

PS: My apologies if it is a bit unclear, but sometimes its hard to find the right words on how I feel. If you know what I mean.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 3/8/2021 4:05 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember this happening to me when I was a new contributor and being dismayed. Now if I see it has happened I'm thankful that someone has taken the work off my plate 8)

(but really, now I just do credits submission at the start along with everything else)

lights out party (85358) on 3/10/2021 7:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I know I did this once by semi-accident (I didn't realize at first that the game was not yet "official"), but I I don't think it was one of yours.
Still, I think you're right and you have made me more conscious of it for the future. Personally I find entering credits quite fun, so I wouldn't want it to happen to me.

Patrick Bregger (303232) on 3/28/2021 4:11 PM · Permalink · Report

It was probably an honest mistake (I sure hope it wasn't me). For admins (and maybe approvers?) WIP and pending entries look almost the same as approved ones: only the URL is different and they can't be found with the regular search - but there is a admin search which finds them nevertheless.

We usually don't add content to non-approved game entries. It would be a stupid idea because the game entry may be abandoned or rejected and then the additions would be gone, too. To prevent this, you could start the credits submission first thing after starting your game entry - then the approver/admin gets a green warning text when trying to add credits.

MrFlibble (18361) on 3/28/2021 6:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Recently I discovered the new feature (not sure how new it is though) of being able to make additional submissions to a newly created, not-yet-approved game entry. I think it's an overall very useful feature to have, because previously you'd need to see your submission through the approval queue before being able to add anything relevant, like credits or additional release dates, which you might have already had on hand at the time of the original submission.

However I was not aware that approvers can add something to a pending submission too.

My opinion is, because approvers cannot know if the user who submits an entry is ready (or even willing) to make additional submissions like credits etc., it would be ethical to give the users a chance to do it themselves, let's say a week or so after the submission is approved. I guess it is not at all critical to have credits available right away.

From my personal experience, previously I noticed a couple of times that an approver would add the game that I submitted to some fitting game group. I don't mind this happening but because it does not occur consistently, I cannot solely rely on the assumption that an approver will always do it instead of me or some other user. I guess I wouldn't mind someone taking care of the credits for me, but in a way, that would be trying to drop off some of your own burden on someone else. And again, me nor anyone else cannot expect that an approver will always take care of these things.

I guess that in a way, the practical general rule here at MobyGames is first come, first served. But the approvers have an advantage over regular users which needs to be factored in too.

Patrick Bregger (303232) on 4/1/2021 7:19 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--]Recently I discovered the new feature (not sure how new it is though) of being able to make additional submissions to a newly created, not-yet-approved game entry. I think it's an overall very useful feature to have, because previously you'd need to see your submission through the approval queue before being able to add anything relevant, like credits or additional release dates, which you might have already had on hand at the time of the original submission. [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--] On the last page of the new game wizard (proof-reading) is a link which says "add additional content" or similar, then you can add everything like it was approved. This is not a new thing, it has been there at least since I joined the site in 2009. I am also pretty sure everyone can add pending games to game groups, only the removal is restricted.

Rwolf (23137) on 4/1/2021 4:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It took me awhile to find that link, but it is good for making a more complete submission; provided you are sure about the entry details - it would be irritating to add a lot of credits only to find the game already exists under another name, for instance.

And I don't think unapproved titles in queue can be added to groups, I've tried that with some of the recent FST flightsim games that Mr Flibble had submitted, when I made the FST game group.

Another tip: the numbered steps in the game submission sequence can be directly accessed by clicking on one of the numbers in the top chain list, instead of next/previous until you get to where you want to go, that also took me awhile to figure out (by mis-clicking, I think). I tend to use this method to quickly go back to the start and fix any spelling errors in the description.