Forums > MobyGames > MobyRank average score

heretic44 on 1/15/2021 3:10 AM · Permalink · Report

The MobyRank feature is great for rating old games reasonably. But why don't show the average score? I made the calculation of the average for some games required by hand. This process is very annoying. Most games have 20+ critics.

And i don't mean the good overview of user ratings. User ratings seem to be not so accurate. They miss the higher and lower end of the score. But averaging the critics and value them is a great approval.

Do i miss something or why don't show the calculated average?

chirinea (47516) on 1/15/2021 11:13 AM · Permalink · Report

We used to have the average displayed on the main page for each game that had at least 5 scores on file, but since many games lacked an average for having less than 5 scores, the owners decided to have that functionality removed. You can read more about this decision here.

Victor Vance (18137) on 1/15/2021 10:54 PM · Permalink · Report

...and most of us would like to have it back!

lights out party (86958) on 1/16/2021 2:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I'm still upset about that.

Cavalary (11448) on 1/16/2021 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Same...

Cantillon (79434) on 1/16/2021 4:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Same here. If no place on the main page, so be it. But why can't it go on the reviews page?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66471) on 1/18/2021 6:22 AM · Permalink · Report

it is functionality that I also have enjoyed using in the past, and no longer have the option of tapping.

lights out party (86958) on 3/22/2021 7:45 PM · Permalink · Report

It's made the reviews and score sections a lot messier, for sure.

eddiecochran on 6/18/2021 7:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Sorely missing it for 1.5 years now ...

Cavalary (11448) on 6/19/2021 12:10 AM · Permalink · Report

It's been so long? Wow... Wonder how long till it'll be a sign of being a "veteran" around here to even remember it :/

eddiecochran on 6/23/2021 7:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh boy. Just saw that they also wiped all links to the top list page. What did they thinking?

Fortunately the site still exists, you just have to enter the URL manually:

http://www.mobygames.com/stats/top_games

I badly hope this is a concession to the community and not just a volatile in-between state.

One tip to get the most out of the top list page: Go to tab "Best by Year", choose a particular platform, then choose all appropriate years one by one.

WONDERなパン (17284) on 11/10/2021 6:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh my god, this is helpful. Had no clue that page existed. Bookmarked. THANKS!

(also we should bring back the averages, this is silly)

heretic44 on 1/16/2021 4:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that.

Bozzly (1107) on 6/20/2021 8:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]We used to have the average displayed on the main page for each game that had at least 5 scores on file, but since many games lacked an average for having less than 5 scores, the owners decided to have that functionality removed. You can read more about this decision here. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

True, a lot of games don't have an average score due to having less than 5 critic reviews. But those scoreless games should matter little, considering most of them are obscure titles that only a few people care about.