Forums > Game Talk > What makes a hardcore gamer?

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/13/2011 11:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Proficiency in fighting\shooter\platformer games? The stamina to play arcade games for hours? An in-depth knowledge of RPGs? MOD makers? Those who only play games from the 16 bit era? Or just a person with a wide variety of taste in games that has skill in all them? (I consider myself as part of the last one.)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 3/13/2011 11:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm. I've heard the term "hardcore" used with equal validity in all the ways you've referenced. So I guess I don't know.

vedder (71207) on 3/14/2011 5:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Indeed I've seen it used for just about anything.

Personally I like the following distinction.

Hardcore games go:

incorrect click/action --> "BOOM you're dead. Start Over! No points for you!"

Casual games go:

incorrect click/action --> "No silly, click that one, that's right one. Here's 1000 points anyway. Yes, now you clicked the right one, because I greyed out everything that was wrong. Here's another 1000 points!"

It's not black and white of course. It's a scale from one to the other and some games tip more to the left and others more to the right.

Most Facebook games adhere to the last dogma. Every click you make in those games yields a reward (money, XP, and/or items). There is no right or wrong. There's just mindless clicking, until you've reached the clicking limit for today and have to wait for tomorrow. A mechanic designed to make sure people don't reach XP levels for which the content isn't yet made.

Indra was here (20750) on 3/14/2011 1:16 AM · Permalink · Report

OCD.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/14/2011 2:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Masochism. Don't forget masochism. I have a mini Genesis plug in that has Street Fighter 2 and Ghouls and Ghosts. I've beaten SF2, but I never beat Ghouls and Ghosts. I made it all the way to level five, but gave up after I couldn't get out of the first hallway. But now it's not working, and I have the sudden urge to play it again. On hard. I want my ass kicked until I get it right. I can think of no other game right now. (FFVIII is on hold, because my PS1 is on the fritz.) I'm cruising Ebay for copies right now. So yeah, masochism. 8D

Zovni (10504) on 3/15/2011 1:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]OCD. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]

Amen.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/14/2011 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I would say generally someone who calls video games their hobby, and not just a pastime. Who is somewhat interested in what games are released and are in development, frequents sites or reads magazines with such information, and has developed their own taste in games. In contrast to someone who just spontaneously downloads or buys some games to kill some time or have something to play with their friends.

Compared to the world of music, non-hardcore are the ones who turn on the radio for some background music, hardcore are the ones who check out the week's new releases and browse the record store for additions to their very personal collection.

mobiusclimber (235) on 3/14/2011 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

I think there's a difference between a hardcore gamer and a collector (tho they can be the same person, they're different aspects). And yeah I think it does all boil down to masochism with a dash of sadism. The need to make the game your bitch, basically, even while it makes YOU its bitch over and over again. "Until We Win" is the chronicle of one such "hardcore gamer." Youtube is littered with speed-runs and all-white-mage playthrus of other ones.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/14/2011 4:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I have wrongfully considered myself to be a hardcore gamer then =) if a game starts making me its bitch, I tell it to screw itself, and pop in another one.

vedder (71207) on 3/14/2011 4:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Pfft, you're so casual!

(I sometimes launch a hex editor, to cheat ¬.¬ But then again, I did finally finish VVVVVV)

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/14/2011 5:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Pfft, you're so casual![/Q --end vedder wrote--]

I am, right? It was a rather forced change in my approach to games once I realised how many games I had, and how few of them I really played.

Although if I really like a game, I usually play them at least 2-3 times, and I am not content until I have seen every nook and cranny and secret, absolutely 100% of what they have to offer. I have even been known to extract game assets to make sure I haven't missed out on anything XD

Indra was here (20750) on 3/14/2011 5:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start mobiusclimber wrote--]And yeah I think it does all boil down to masochism with a dash of sadism. The need to make the game your bitch, basically, even while it makes YOU its bitch over and over again. "Until We Win" is the chronicle of one such "hardcore gamer." [/Q --end mobiusclimber wrote--] Welcome to my world.

Gaming has nothing to do with entertainment and everything to do with frustration. :p

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/14/2011 5:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Just read this on another site:

"How can you say Farmville is just a casual game when people set their alarms for the middle of the night to tend to their crops?"

Parf (7871) on 3/15/2011 1:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought this was an interesting way of looking at it:

http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comic/2010/11/04/yo-momma-is-so-hardcore%E2%80%A6/

Pseudo_Intellectual (66532) on 3/14/2011 5:51 PM · Permalink · Report

MOD makers?

Presumably you mean people who customize games, but what you have written is people who write Amiga computer music.

Adzuken (836) on 3/14/2011 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

The word "hardcore," in this context, basically means to be fiercely loyal to something. Hardcore gamer doesn't really mean much, but people like to wear it as a badge of honour, as though they earned it. Yeah you earned it, but only by sinking hours into the past time.

I hate the term because it can apply to anyone from the World of Warcraft or Minesweeper addicts to the professional StarCraft players, and it's really difficult to argue that it doesn't. If you want to tag yourself with a label, I recommend something more creative. A "gaming hobbyist," or a "game buff." If you're concerned about your achievements, how about a "hard mode hero." If you collect and play rare games, "a game connoisseur" (which sounds rather egotistical, but so does hardcore gamer).

I may be a bit bitter, but this discussion comes up a lot for some reason. I'd prefer it if the term just drank some drain cleaner and died somewhere.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/14/2011 8:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]If you collect and play rare games, "a game connoisseur"[/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

I'll take it! Magnificently posh

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/14/2011 9:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]The word "hardcore," in this context, basically means to be fiercely loyal to something. Hardcore gamer doesn't really mean much, but people like to wear it as a badge of honour, as though they earned it. Yeah you earned it, but only by sinking hours into the past time.

I hate the term because it can apply to anyone from the World of Warcraft or Minesweeper addicts to the professional StarCraft players, and it's really difficult to argue that it doesn't. If you want to tag yourself with a label, I recommend something more creative. A "gaming hobbyist," or a "game buff." If you're concerned about your achievements, how about a "hard mode hero." If you collect and play rare games, "a game connoisseur" (which sounds rather egotistical, but so does hardcore gamer).

I may be a bit bitter, but this discussion comes up a lot for some reason. I'd prefer it if the term just drank some drain cleaner and died somewhere. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

I like hardcore gamer. It sounds like it would either scare people or make people think I live in my parent's basement. "That insult means nothing! My parents don't HAVE a basement!" It's true. Just a crawl space. It's dark, dank, and ocasionally has bats. 8D

Indra was here (20750) on 3/15/2011 2:55 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]The word "hardcore," in this context, basically means to be fiercely loyal to something. Hardcore gamer doesn't really mean much, but people like to wear it as a badge of honour, as though they earned it. Yeah you earned it, but only by sinking hours into the past time.

I hate the term because it can apply to anyone from the World of Warcraft or Minesweeper addicts to the professional StarCraft players, and it's really difficult to argue that it doesn't. If you want to tag yourself with a label, I recommend something more creative. A "gaming hobbyist," or a "game buff." If you're concerned about your achievements, how about a "hard mode hero." If you collect and play rare games, "a game connoisseur" (which sounds rather egotistical, but so does hardcore gamer). [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--] Not for me. Being good at one game isn't hardcore. Just a fanboi. I'd be Mega Hardcore if this were applicable.

Indra was here (20750) on 3/15/2011 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Just out of curiosity. How many people here think hardcore gaming has to do with fun? Before any elaboration, at this point of my life (as a hardcore gamer...whatever that is), it's not about fun or entertainment.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/15/2011 5:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't. Considering the way hardcore has been defined so far in this thread, I think it is when obsession and maybe even addiction become more important than fun and entertainment. Hardcore seems to be the willingness to put up with long stretches of time where a game isn't fun, in order to reach a certain level of proficiency or some kind of reward.

I have probably posted this link before, but this article fits well: 5 Creepy Ways Video Games Are Trying to Get You Addicted

Parf (7871) on 3/15/2011 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Yet another reason why I hate MMOs. :\

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/17/2011 3:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

If game isn't fun, it's not worth my time. I like difficulty in my games. But only if it comes from intentional game play design choices made by the developer. (AKA, you die, it's your own fault.) Bad camera, twitchy controls (A pet peeve.), sluggish controls, "leaps of faith", cheap hits, sending you back to the start of the stage after you die are things that make me hate a game. Example-Mad Maestro. I wanted to like it. I really did! But the damn controls were so touchy I couldn't make it half way through the first stage! I sold it somewhat reluctantly because I wasn't sure if I had given it a fair chance. But I have enough of a backlog, and shouldn't be adding "mabye I'll play it" to the pile.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66532) on 3/17/2011 4:24 AM · Permalink · Report

There's something to be said for Cat Mario and the other "killl you repeatedly for relying on your genre assumptions" works, but I don't know if it's that they succeed as GAMES or as COMMENTARY ON games.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/17/2011 12:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]There's something to be said for Cat Mario and the other "killl you repeatedly for relying on your genre assumptions" works, but I don't know if it's that they succeed as GAMES or as COMMENTARY ON games. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

Good grief, Cat Mario just looks sadistic. It's definitely a commentary on hard games.

vedder (71207) on 3/17/2011 2:11 PM · Permalink · Report

See also I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie - The Game

Indra was here (20750) on 3/17/2011 12:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]If game isn't fun, it's not worth my time. [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Actually, when I think about it, I don't recall the last time I had fun. I'm not entirely sure if I understand the word now either.

Fun? A threesome sounds fun, but there doesn't seem anything fun about it. Hard work mostly, not fun. :p

Klaster_1 (57610) on 3/17/2011 1:40 PM · Permalink · Report

So, why do you play games? To challenge yourself?

Indra was here (20750) on 3/17/2011 4:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]So, why do you play games? To challenge yourself? [/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--]Hardly. A narcissistic megalomaniac needs not to prove one's self worth. Probably somewhere between habit, time waster, activity to inhibit wild thinking, and don't have anything else better to do. If I were to honestly narrow it down, my best bet would be between habit and not having anything else better to do.

I would suspect, if I were to be happily married, I'd gradually give up gaming completely.

Sciere (930965) on 3/17/2011 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

nailed it

BurningStickMan (17916) on 3/24/2011 4:45 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--] If I were to honestly narrow it down, my best bet would be between habit and not having anything else better to do. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]

I.... I can't really argue this.

stares in awe at a wasted life

ResidentHazard (3555) on 3/15/2011 9:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Contra.

Indra was here (20750) on 3/17/2011 10:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I remember a time when I was young and stupid (now just stupid) a former somebody bought me 10 playstation games. Couple of months later, she was genuinely surprised that I only played one of the games.

Don't see a reason to try new merchandise when I'm not done with the old.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/19/2011 11:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I know this. And it doesn't go particularly well with being a compulsive collector.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/19/2011 11:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I haven't been to GameStop in a while for precisely that reason. And what's worse, I still have a huge list of games to get while I'm still young, and presumably, play until I get old. 8/

Parf (7871) on 3/20/2011 10:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Looking over that list, I'd say that a bunch of them are really short if that's any consolation. ;)

Oh, and some of them aren't really that good either. :p

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/20/2011 10:59 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Why do most of the good games have to be so short?! I know some on that list aren't the best, but that's almost every game I've ever wanted since I started gaming. What's more, I'm not even finished with it! I still have to cover the handhelds and the PC. Aquiring some of these games looks like a expensive proposition, so I'll probably be broke when I'm old too. 8D

Edit-Are there any games on that list I really want to avoid?

Lain Crowley (6629) on 3/21/2011 4:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not really. Any of the misses on that list are either pretty short, or you figure out they aren't worth playing fairly quickly. Personally my skip list would be Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron III, Twilight Princess, Beach Spikers (unless you have someone to play with. The game isn't co-op only, but it should be), Front Mission 4, Halo 2, Darkwatch(I wrote a review of it!), Maken X, Banjo Tooie, Persona, Parasite Eve 2, and Vib Ribbon (rip the soundtrack and then buy audiosurf on steam). None of them are terrible games, but life is short and they aren't worth the time.

Well, except for Rogue Squadron III. That game is awful. If you want to know how to go from a best selling N64 game, to the second best third party launch game, to a dead franchise, RSIII is it. Then again it does include every RSII level in a co-op only mode, so it would be worth playing for that (and only that).

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/21/2011 12:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Not really. Any of the misses on that list are either pretty short, or you figure out they aren't worth playing fairly quickly. Personally my skip list would be Mario Sunshine, Rogue Squadron III, Twilight Princess, Beach Spikers (unless you have someone to play with. The game isn't co-op only, but it should be), Front Mission 4, Halo 2, Darkwatch(I wrote a review of it!), Maken X, Banjo Tooie, Persona, Parasite Eve 2, and Vib Ribbon (rip the soundtrack and then buy audiosurf on steam). None of them are terrible games, but life is short and they aren't worth the time.

Well, except for Rogue Squadron III. That game is awful. If you want to know how to go from a best selling N64 game, to the second best third party launch game, to a dead franchise, RSIII is it. Then again it does include every RSII level in a co-op only mode, so it would be worth playing for that (and only that). [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]

I thought Front Mission 4 was a fairly well recieved game? And Rouge Squadron 3 sucks? Hmm, never knew that. I'll have to do some research on that one.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 3/21/2011 6:30 PM · Permalink · Report

FM4 would be the weakest game in the franchise if not for Evolved. Instead of wasting your time with it get your PS2 modded and then find the translation patch for FM5. Rogue (not a color!) Squadron 3 is killed by the on foot segments. There's a bunch of them added to most levels, and they're universally awful.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/21/2011 9:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]FM4 would be the weakest game in the franchise if not for Evolved. Instead of wasting your time with it get your PS2 modded and then find the translation patch for FM5. Rogue (not a color!) Squadron 3 is killed by the on foot segments. There's a bunch of them added to most levels, and they're universally awful. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]

But how strong is the series compared to similar games? If it's stronger, then even a weak game in it's series might be stronger than the competition theoretically.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 3/22/2011 6:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Man you haven't even played Final Fantasy Tactics, and I'll bet you haven't played a Tactics Ogre game either. You've got a long way to go before you run out of first rate SRPGs.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/22/2011 10:36 PM · Permalink · Report

OK, what about FM 3?

Lain Crowley (6629) on 3/23/2011 4:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Three is fantastic.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (101753) on 3/21/2011 5:21 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Edit-Are there any games on that list I really want to avoid? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Dare I ask why Bimini Run is on that list?

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/21/2011 12:11 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] [Q2 --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Edit-Are there any games on that list I really want to avoid? [/Q2 --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Dare I ask why Bimini Run is on that list? [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]

I thought it looked like a reasonbly entertaining game. Is there something wrong with it I'm not aware of?

Indra was here (20750) on 3/21/2011 6:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Why do most of the good games have to be so short?! [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Some gamblers know when to quit while they're ahead. Or become troll food for grumpy gamers like myself.

Too short is by far better than long and boring. My fanboi persona doesn't agree though.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/21/2011 12:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Then don't look into FFXIII. I've heard it takes over 30 hours to get past the tutorial. That's the total number hours I've put into FFVIII ! Then again, I don't if that game is any good.

Adzuken (836) on 3/21/2011 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Atari 2600 games don't take any time investment. They're typically no more than short diversions. The same goes for early NES games like Duck Hunt and Urban Champion. On the topic of Urban Champion, it's pretty lame. You can get some value out of it if you play it with a friend, but even then, it isn't that enjoyable. Metal Gear, despite coming from what would become a popular series, is excruciating. If you want to play the original, don't go with the NES version. Buy Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence instead, it comes with the MSX versions of the first and second.

Moving on, Boogerman isn't as fun as you might imagine. Despite its premise, it's an extremely generic and boring sidescroller. I'd give Banjo-Tooie a pass. It isn't as good as the original and has a tremendous amount of backtracking. Rogue Squadron 3 is only really worth it if you are looking to play a co-op version of Rogue Squadron 2. While I wouldn't say it's awful, it is crushingly disappointing, and it smells like suits had their hands in it.

Other than that, I either have no experience with some of these games, or I assume you have your own reasons for seeking them out.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/21/2011 9:55 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]On the topic of Urban Champion, it's pretty lame. You can get some value out of it if you play it with a friend, but even then, it isn't that enjoyable.

Moving on, Boogerman isn't as fun as you might imagine. Despite its premise, it's an extremely generic and boring sidescroller. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

When I was a kid, our family couldn't afford game systems, so my parents bought my sister and I a Power Joy. (AKA, a controller with lots of pirated NES games on it.) Urban Champion was one of the games on it. My sister and I had a blast with it! If it weren't for that, it wouldn't even be on the list. As for Boogerman, what can I say? I'm a sucker for a gimicky theme. 8D

Maw (832) on 3/23/2011 5:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] [Q2 --start Adzuken wrote--]On the topic of Urban Champion, it's pretty lame. You can get some value out of it if you play it with a friend, but even then, it isn't that enjoyable.

Moving on, Boogerman isn't as fun as you might imagine. Despite its premise, it's an extremely generic and boring sidescroller. [/Q2 --end Adzuken wrote--]

When I was a kid, our family couldn't afford game systems, so my parents bought my sister and I a Power Joy. (AKA, a controller with lots of pirated NES games on it.) Urban Champion was one of the games on it. My sister and I had a blast with it! If it weren't for that, it wouldn't even be on the list. As for Boogerman, what can I say? I'm a sucker for a gimicky theme. 8D [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

Ooh, I had one of those! My parents bought one when I was eight years old...Say goodbye to 2-3 years out of my life.

I had the Mega Joy, which advertised itself as "2000 games in one" although in reality there were only like 50 games started from different positions. I had a friend who had a Mega Gun, which was the Mega Joy with a lightgun attached.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/23/2011 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Cool, we weren't the only ones who had one of those! Ours had lots of off-beat NES games, like Combat, Mappy, Joust, Section Z, Karateka and other stuff along those lines. It did have Gradius and Duck Hunt though. I played DH so much the first day we had it my dad told me to let my sister have a turn! Which reminds me...

It's time for "Remember That Game!" You were a cowboy (?) on a moving train that had to rescue a girl at the other end of the train. It was kinda cartoon-ish, and guy you controled was short, with a big hat. I've been driving myself crazy trying to find out what it is!

Alaka (106760) on 3/23/2011 2:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] It's time for "Remember That Game!" You were a cowboy (?) on a moving train that had to rescue a girl at the other end of the train. It was kinda cartoon-ish, and guy you controled was short, with a big hat. I've been driving myself crazy trying to find out what it is! [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

I think Cowboy Kid has a part where you fight on top of a moving train.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/23/2011 9:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I FOUND IT! But it's a import! Still, woohoo! Another game to add to my list. Also, I remembered we had a Power Joy 2 (Yes, there was a second one.), but it doesn't have it. I also found another game I forgot about, Macross! I suppose I'll have to import a FamiCom now.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/10/2011 1:13 AM · Permalink · Report

I wonder where the line between hardcore gamer and hardcore fanboy gets fuzzy. I was playing Sonic 2 today and made it all the way to the mystical caves. The game is great, but it seriously bogged down by all manner of water. (AKA, aquatic zone.) And the casino zone was fairly infuriating. I've always thought of Sonic as the platformer of hardcore gamers. (No offense to hardcore Mario fans.) For the first few games, I could see it being preferred over Mario for a time, but around Sonic 3D it seems like it starts to decline. After Sonic Adventure 2 it seems like almost every game was worse than the last. I wonder why Sonic is still held in such high regard then? Is it for the original games and the potenital of the series to be good again? Or is it that the fanboys are the only ones still talking about him, and most other people have forgotten him? I suspect the former, but I'm still not sure. Thoughts?

Indra was here (20750) on 4/10/2011 1:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]I wonder where the line between hardcore gamer and hardcore fanboi gets fuzzy? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Fanbois see no manner of fault in their gaming style, preference, or taste, extensive knowledge of trivial gaming information no one really cares about, and preach it such with religious fervor. The hardcore gang is too busy with gameplay details to even give a dang.

Which basically makes me a hardboi fancore :p

Lain Crowley (6629) on 4/12/2011 11:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Sonic sells well because the kids love it.

dreamstealer (126) on 4/18/2011 7:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

A Hardcore gamer is someone who wastes too much money buying weird cooling devices for his PC then posting his temperature online to boost his e-penis assuming that anyone gives a fuck if he got his expensive overclocked ram 2 degrees lower. Then buying every new console in the market and still playing on your generation old Atari to look retro and hxc. And then learning every console command in counterstrike.