Forums > Game Talk > Game series without numerals in later instalments

MrFlibble (18361) on 8/26/2013 1:05 PM · Permalink · Report

There's this pattern in how parts of a game series are somehow titled that has attracted my attention recently: the second part has the number 2 in the title but the third (or a later) part doesn't. Examples:

Age of Wonders - Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne - Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

Marathon - Marathon 2: Durandal - Marathon Infinity

Star Wraith - Star Wraith 2 - Star Wraith: Shadows of Orion*

Yendorian Tales Book I - Yendorian Tales Book I: Chapter 2 - Yendorian Tales: The Tyrants of Thaine

* The game was initially titles Star Wraith 3: Shadows of Orion but eventually the numeral was dropped from the title, as seen here and here.

Note that in all cases, the part without the numeral is not a spin-off or a branch of the main series, but a direct sequel.

I wonder what other game series have used a similar pattern?

Indra was here (20750) on 8/26/2013 1:27 PM · Permalink · Report

You have way too much time on your hands, dude. :p

vedder (71207) on 8/26/2013 1:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--]

Age of Wonders - Age of Wonders II: The Wizard's Throne - Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic

[/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--]

The next game in the series, currently in development is actually called III. I think Shadow Magic was considered more of a standalone expansion pack as was popular at the time.

I think with low numbers marketeers still hope that new players might buy both parts, but high numbers scare new players off because they are afraid they will be lost if they haven't played all the earlier games.

Indra was here (20750) on 8/26/2013 3:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]I think with low numbers marketeers still hope that new players might buy both parts, but high numbers scare new players off because they are afraid they will be lost if they haven't played all the earlier games. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]Well that certainly makes sense for story-related content of games of today. Though it wasn't that much of a problem back in the day considering the summary of previous episodes were included in the manual.

Doesn't make much sense for most strategy games or simulation games though.

Kabushi (261502) on 8/26/2013 1:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Certainly Worms must hold the record for most illogical sequel titles?

third game: Worms: Armageddon
eight game: Worms 4: Mayhem
eleventh game: Worms 2: Armageddon
fifteenth game: Worms 3

Patrick Bregger (303488) on 8/26/2013 4:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Command & Conquer (Germany)! They wrote themselves into a corner because they just had to call Red Alert "C&C2" instead.

Command & Conquer 2 (=Red Alert)
Command & Conquer 3 (=Tiberium Sun)
Command & Conquer: Generals
Command & Conquer 3

GTramp (81961) on 8/27/2013 10:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Bioshock 1 - 2 - Infinite

chirinea (47516) on 8/27/2013 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start GTramp wrote--]Bioshock 1 - 2 - Infinite [/Q --end GTramp wrote--]I thought about this one, but it seems that Infinite is a prequel, isn't it?

GTramp (81961) on 8/27/2013 11:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Timeline is so fucked up that noone can tell.

vedder (71207) on 8/27/2013 11:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Dark Forces
Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Parf (7871) on 8/27/2013 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Silent Hill 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 0rigins - Homecoming - Downpour

(not counting handhelds and spinoffs).

Yearman (29866) on 8/27/2013 2:57 PM · Permalink · Report

The Need for Speed series

2005 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted

2012 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Why bother with numerals or new game titles?

Parf (7871) on 8/27/2013 3:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Much like a lot of games which got "rebooted" lately... Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry etc...

Daniel Saner (3503) on 8/27/2013 5:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thief, Medal of Honor, Prince of Persia, Rise of the Triad, Shadow Warrior, Mortal Kombat, Bionic Commando, a few years back: Alone in the Dark, Turok, ...

Miss any? They really love doing this lately.

Rola (8482) on 8/27/2013 6:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I really hate and ridicule this. Also true for movies: "Star Trek" and you need to add [2009]

I understand that marketing may want to skip reference to Nth part of the series (but at the same time tries to exploit series' popularity? make up your mind!), but at least add a new subtitle.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 8/27/2013 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

It was in a review of the most recent X-Men/Wolverine movie that a critic on the BBC said: it's already the nth installment (I'm not sure about the number), they just don't number them anymore because they don't want you to know how many times they already tried to make a tolerable film, and failed.

By the way, the verdict was that they still didn't succeed this time around.

Alaka (106760) on 8/27/2013 7:55 PM · Permalink · Report

The Syphon Filter series went the subtitle only route after the third one,

Rola (8482) on 8/27/2013 7:58 PM · Permalink · Report

For me there's always this contradiction:

It's the same good old thing! / It's NOT the same old thing!

• Hey, it's Star Trek Batman Wars! That good ol' thing! Buy, buy! We use existing franchise because it's already famous and we don't need to spend so much on marketing!

• It's totally different! Like, totally! Yay! Not that old thing for nerds! Our reboot is sooo cool even sexy girls watch it! Word.

Be it films or games: they want new blood (customers) even at the cost of alienating old fans; despite changing everything they're too hestitant to pump their money into a new name, so we get sequels and reboots.

Why skip numbers for games that aren't plot-driven, like racing games or Worms? High sequel number looks suspicious only because we worry about rehashed stories, these games were only about upgraded graphics anyway.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (101753) on 8/27/2013 8:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]Why skip numbers for games that aren't plot-driven, like racing games or Worms? High sequel number looks suspicious only because we worry about rehashed stories, these games were only about upgraded graphics anyway. [/Q --end Rola wrote--] On the flip side, there's Final Fantasy sticking numbers onto spinoffs and side stories and other numbers. See: Versus XIII becoming XV, XIII-2, or even Type-0 and Dissidia Duodenum 012 or whatever the hell it's called.

To be completely fair, I actually skipped Brotherhood and Revelations after loving Assassin's Creed II because I assumed they were side stories and I'd pick the main story back up when AC3 came out. Then I find out they're all part of the main continuity, and suddenly I can't be bothered to try to catch up.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 8/27/2013 10:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider 2

Tomb Raider 3

Tomb Raider Last Revelation

Tomb Raider Chronicles

Then we get into...

Lara Croft Tomb Raider Angle of Darkness

Lara Croft Tomb Raider Legend

Lara Croft Tomb Raider Anniversary

Lara Croft Tomb Raider Underworld

And so on. I didn't keep up after that last one, but that makes ten main TR games including the recent one. Then there are the handheld spin offs which seem to have little, to any order to them.

leilei (343) on 8/27/2013 11:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Angle of Darkness was the worst one, it made the series turn 180 degrees for a while.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 8/28/2013 3:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Underworld is what made me give up. I still like TR, but until one comes out that's actually about, you know, exploring tombs, I'm not really interested.

lilalurl (733) on 8/28/2013 6:15 AM · Permalink · Report

I hope you didn't miss the pun that leileil made based on a typo in the TR list :-)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (101753) on 8/28/2013 6:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Underworld is what made me give up. I still like TR, but until one comes out that's actually about, you know, exploring tombs, I'm not really interested. [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Didn't you hear? Uncharted sold eight billion copies so therefore every game needs to be an over-the-shoulder shooter with cinematic set-pieces where you commit mass genocide. When someone makes a game about exploring tombs and it sells eight billion copies, then people can start making games about exploring tombs. That's just how these things work!

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 8/28/2013 12:32 PM · Permalink · Report

The video game industry! A model of market efficiency !

Parf (7871) on 8/29/2013 4:05 PM · Permalink · Report

It's kind of funny how trends work in the video game industry... If someone makes a good game, everyone wants to make the exact same game without realizing that perhaps the success was more about good timing, many small things that clicked just right in the game and that abstract thing called "good game feel".

I just loved it when SquareEnix called Hitman and Tomb Raider failures because they didn't meet the sales goals, and yet the games sold several million units the first weeks alone... :|

Daniel Saner (3503) on 8/29/2013 11:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Or sometimes they just plain don't get what made a game so successful. I believe I mentioned that in my review of Grand Theft Auto, although it applies mostly to GTA III. After that one sold like crazy, every publisher wanted to have a "gangster game". They were chocked full of (involuntarily) caricatural badass characters, gangsta speak overload, and plenty shooting, blood, and well chavvy cars. But very few of them had an open game world, free mission structure, detailed and simulated environments... I don't think most of them got it even after Rockstar successfully applied the formula to completely different scenarios with Red Dead and Bully.

The only truly similar games of that time I can think of are True Crime and Mafia.