🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines > What kind of bloodsucker do you think you are?

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/23/2008 5:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

So after about ten hundred years, I've finally managed to put together the pc that can bear with the memory leaks of this f'ing game and I can enjoy it as it was meant by its designers (well, sort of, it's still buggy as hell). As I did countless times in the past, I went with the Malkavian female because given the chance I always choose playing a female character (it's just something I do, I don't think much about it... maybe since I'll have to stare at my character's ass for quite a few hours I'd rather it be a female's ass, I don't know) and I liked the idea of a demented clairvoyant of sorts, I thought it might make for some interesting dialogues.

Some nights into the game (I just finished the quest on the Malkavian dude's mansion, just met the vampire hunter guy and a bloodhunt's been called on Nines Rodriguez) and I'm positively sure I can say the dialogues for the Malkavian character are a gigantic waste of potential and a plain, out and out fucking piece of shit. I came in expecting random, hermetic pieces of prophecies and maybe a clever disjointed rant or two, and what I got was a shallow mongoloid making the kind of idiotic sentences you'd expect to read from your average Livejournal teenager.

It was a shame because I was beginning to enjoy Obfuscate quite a bit, but so much for the Malk, then. I restarted the game, and this time I went with the Gangrel female (so far I'm loving her powerful claws in close-hand fights, can't say much about her personality since her lines are pretty shallow too, though I admit not imbecile-shallow as my previous character) and the female Toreador (haven't gone too far with this one, I'm playing this one because I'm curious as to what her dialogue options would be, what with the whole sexy vampire thing and whatnot, though I don't have high hopes after the Malkavian fiasco :T )

Anyway, this got me to think: What did you, my fellow MG'ers, choose to play? Was there any particular reason? How did your character work out for you? Any critiques/highlights? Did you get a chance to compare between two (or more)?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/23/2008 6:39 AM · Permalink · Report

what I got was a shallow mongoloid making the kind of idiotic sentences you'd expect to read from your average Livejournal teenager

That about sums up my LARP Malkavian experience also 8)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/23/2008 4:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I played this awesome game two times; first time alone, second time with my wife. First time I chose a Brujah because I always choose the purest fighter for every first RPG playthrough.

Second time my wife chose a Gangrel because she likes animals.

Donatello (466) on 10/23/2008 5:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Tremere. The first time I didn't have much knowledge on the various clans and their histories, so my choice was superficial. After I completed the game I became fascinated with World of Darkness and started to do some research on various clans, disciples, organizations etc. and found out that Tremere clan fits me like a glove; secrecy, Thaumaturgy and strict, rigid hierarchy being the keywords here.

"We are more than vampires. We are the next step in Cainite evolution. We will direct the others if they allow us to do so, or we will stand alone if we must. But we will survive."

worldwideweird (29) on 10/23/2008 6:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Tremere here, too. I basically just liked the look of them, I guess. I thought "Bloodlines" to be an excellent game which was very well written and voiced (don't know about the Malkavians though).

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/23/2008 11:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--]Tremere. The first time I didn't have much knowledge on the various clans and their histories, so my choice was superficial. After I completed the game I became fascinated with World of Darkness and started to do some research on various clans, disciples, organizations etc. and found out that Tremere clan fits me like a glove; secrecy, Thaumaturgy and strict, rigid hierarchy being the keywords here.

"We are more than vampires. We are the next step in Cainite evolution. We will direct the others if they allow us to do so, or we will stand alone if we must. But we will survive." [/Q --end Donatello wrote--] I'm most likely gonna start yet another game with a Tremere character at some point too. I love the Tremere Regent (or whatever it's called), gay as it might sound :P The guy is quite charming.

Also I'm intrigued about the Nosferatu, mainly because I understand the gameplay changes dramatically since they can't even be seen by a human being without breaking the masquerade.

worldwideweird (29) on 10/23/2008 11:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Yep, I guess with Nosferatu and Malkavian you'd get some totally different gameplay in comparison to the other, more "normal" characters.

As for those, I think that one can make a choice just for style and decor. I liked the idea of the Tremere's mysteriousness and relative seclusion and I LOVED their "headquarters" (Vincent Price must have chosen its wallpapers), yet ended up playing a fighting character rather than a magic-user - entirely possible, one's just got to raise the right stats. "Bloodlines" doesn't really restrict the player very much in these matters.

Indra was here (20755) on 10/23/2008 7:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Tremere. Magi all the way. My ego was going to pick those snubby noble vampires...but they have better standards than me. I eat anything that comes my way. Nice rat. :)

I don't remember which patch, but after that patch you get even more spesific and weird titles for each race, which different specialities (ie. grave digger, psychopath, etc.)

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/26/2008 9:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Toreador male for the first time. My rig wasn't that hot at that time, so I replayed it again later with a Malkavian female. I had a lot of fun with her twisted way of expressing herself and especially with the way other characteres reacted to that nonsense.