Forums > Game Forums > Neverwinter Nights 2 > Snore...

Indra was here (20755) on 5/22/2007 12:44 PM · Permalink · Report

After restarting the game 6 times, I finally reached Neverwinter. Er, does someone actually like this game? Crappy interface, sluggish combat and movement. Hell, I wasn't expecting this to be a sequel for Neverwinter Nights 1.

Is there actually anything good to expect from this game. So far, I'm insulted.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/22/2007 3:27 PM · Permalink · Report

You are kidding, right? Don't tell me you don't like the fantastic dialogue, the appealing characters, the detailed world, the atmosphere? This game is of typical Obsidian/BioWare quality. I'm currently playing it and loving every moment.

It's weird to hear that from somebody who always says story is his top priority... well, NWN2 is just about good story-telling. It might be linear and all, but in many ways it is a huge improvement over the predecessor.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 5/22/2007 11:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I liked it. That courtroom scene is just pure brilliance. Sluggish movement? Do you mean that animation is lacking or that its just too slow. If it is the first one then youre right (the facial impressions and combat really are bit lacking), if it`s the second then perhaps it is your system? If your somewhere around my system (2,8 GHz, Radeon 9600, 512 RAM) then you really should do without bloom... full shadows (you should always have shadows on... Neverwinter Nights series basically IS about real-time dynamic shadows) and 2x anti-aliasing were enough for me on 1024x768. Might drop a few in drawing distances also.

Anyway, I loved the dialogue and the story. And I think that Neverwinter Nights 2 is a lot like Final Fantasy if it had: branching dialogue, good and evil endings, more local events less worldly events, more traditional fashion sense, more dryer and political approach to story, skill points used effectively in dialogue, betrayal scenes depending on your relationships with your companions and so on. If we ignore all that then NWN2 plays just like FF game... that is that it delivers an entertaining story in slightly faulty (and linear) means. I was happy in the end... not "OMG I will fight and die for this game and kill everyone who dares to say something that is not praising at all about this game!!!"... just happy.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/23/2007 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--]And I think that Neverwinter Nights 2 is a lot like Final Fantasy if it had: branching dialogue, good and evil endings, more local events less worldly events, more traditional fashion sense, more dryer and political approach to story, skill points used effectively in dialogue, betrayal scenes depending on your relationships with your companions and so on. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--] My impression exactly. And in general, I really want to applaud to Obsidian (and BioWare before) for talking from Japanese RPGs what they do best. Obsidian's RPGs have tight story-telling and detailed characterization, without the unfortunate nauseating cuteness and simplistic dialogue that plague most Japanese RPGs. And I want to applaud Squaresoft for taking from Western RPGs what they do best (combat system and exploration) for their Final Fantasy XII.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/23/2007 9:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

My current specs:

• Intel Core 2 1.86 Ghz.
  • 1 GB RAM
  • NVIDIA GeForece 7300 LE That should be enough for this game. After all, it worked for Oblivion and Company of Heroes. Not quite sure why the high specs. The previous Neverwinter worked damn great on mediocre specs. Argh, now I have to restart for the 7th time since I found a darn bug in Neverwinter. What do PC games have against me? Oleg. I only enjoy the story, if the game mechanics work right. Is there an option for autopause?
  • I hate it when my character keeps bumping into monsters after he opens up a stupid door.
  • I hate it when I chose a wrong stupid feat that turns out to be worthless
  • I hate it when the pause button doesn't seem to work properly, and attacking often ends up making your character move instead of attacking
  • I hate it when everytime you enter a room, you see a black wall and you have to move your camera to see your characters.
  • I hate it when I click one branch of a dialog and try another branch, the damn answer is the same. Argh. PS. Fantastic dialogue, the appealing characters, the detailed world, the atmosphere? You referring to Oblivion?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 5/23/2007 12:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Why do you have to restart all the time? What kind of a bug it was? And why can`t you continue playing if you have chosen a wrong feat? The feats are not that important... you can still kill stuff very effectively.

And about the dialogue choices giving the same answers... yeah thats typical of Obsidian/Bioware RPGs. Basically the idea is to gain information or suffer through a story-scene but for the sake of role-playing you are given a chance how your character says or asks for something during that moment (it`s basically a leftover from imagination-based gameplay... "Ugh, my character is witty so I´ll go with the witty response.") . But skill-based dialogue choice like those of Awareness, Taunt, Diplomacy, Intelligence,etc. really do produce different response. For me it was fun to outwit Torio. The story outcome is still the same but the way there was a lot more satisfying.

Is it an unnecessary gimmick (since the main story doesn`t change from those things like which companion dies or which thing you said)? Why not just do a linear story in FF way then? Well, I think that those small things improve the overall experience. Illusion of choice is sometimes as important as the real choice itself.

Hmm... it really seems like your computer and NWN2 are in a love-hate relationship. I have yet to see those kinds of annoyances. You do have the latest patch? If Neeshka has a tail then youre patched, if she does not then obviously youre not patched. Also have tried changing the camera style? It is possible to play it in Kotor style... camera from behind, WASD movement.

I must say that you and I have very different view on bugs. My attitude towards bugs is that nothing shall come between me and the game. But you are right about bugginess. Obsidian currently has followed Troika`s footsteps in that area.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/23/2007 1:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Nope Neeskha doesn't have a tail. I don't either (Playing a Tiefling) Argh. Nice tip, the tail thing. Should qualify as trivia. Yeah, just checked. Version 1.00

If you're asking why I restart all the time, its probably because through all the years I seem to have discovered a curious mental condition, that requires me to have and create the "Perfect RPG Character". So I tend to restart an RPG many, many times after continuous play, just to get the feel of it. The only difference between me and Oleg is, I know I have a mental condition :)

Bug i'm currently facing: In neverwinter. Just joined the Guard watch or something. Have to visit 4 patrols. Clicked the first patrol, but could not click on the other patrols.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 5/23/2007 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh poor you... then really patch. I think that you may even end up liking the game if you get to Act II. The best that the game has to offer are in that chapter. But do take a break from the game... smoke a lot of weed and forget everything about it :-)... then start replaying.

That`s one weird bug. I think they should just trigger automatically when you get near them. Try quicksave and load. If that does not help then I think it is also possible to forcetrigger them with CheatConsole... but that needs some hours spent in the official forums.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/25/2007 5:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Just patched the game. WHAT TAIL? TIEFKA STILL DOESN:T HAVE ONE!

Oooh, different game now its patch. Still sucks. But not as much as v.100

Now my NPC have a bad habit of killing each on occasion. Stupid bug. Do developers actually play their games, I wonder sometimes really.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 5/25/2007 6:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sure they play. Thats why they release patches out all the times. The original Neverwinter Nights already had one of the greatest custom supports. Neverwinter Nights is not only a game, its a community. The things that were done with the original NWN in the last year were far more interesting than the game itself.

As to the tail. Are you sure its the latest patch? Or perhaps the tail thing might need a restart? Never mind. Im sure the very word restart sounds as disgusting to you as it sounds to me.

I dont if its any help but here is the official NWN2 blog: updates, tips, programmers offering help, etc.

Edit: Ingore the blog, too technical. The forums are much more helpful.

But if that is all too annoying to you then Id advice you to stop playing... but dont throw away the cd`s. The best, that you as the owner of the game have right to receive, is yet to come.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/25/2007 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--]The best, that you as the owner of the game have right to receive, is yet to come. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

You obviously haven't the slightest idea of my reputation here yet. Muahaha.

<hr />

Downloaded the latest update straight from the automatic update thingy. No tail. My tielfling doesn't have a tale.

Chentzilla (227) on 5/31/2007 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--] Downloaded the latest update straight from the automatic update thingy. No tail. My tielfling doesn't have a tale. [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]

The tiefling character you create yourself won't have a tail. Only Neeshka (or what's her name?).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/31/2007 3:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Neeshka indeed. Sweet girl. Love it when they get horny :)~

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/23/2007 1:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, Oblivion can't run AT ALL on my computer it destroys the damn monitor or whatever, and I have yet to experience a big with NWN2 (although I admit that it runs slow). But so what? Do you care for bugs or do you care for characters, story, and dialogues? From what I heard, Oblivion is not really about those things... but correct me if I'm wrong.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/23/2007 1:12 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm old and cranky now, Oleg. Back in the day, I could spend 3-5 hours (or more) just creating the perfect AD&D character AND team, and would enjoy every god-damn minute of it. Now I can't be bothered anymore.

Put it this way, I will totally worship and defend a game as long it doesn't have bugs. But if the girl goes "cuckoo" on me for 1 second, I'm outta there. Games are supposed to be fun, not irritating. At least not at my delicate age. :)

KazikluBey (181) on 7/26/2007 11:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--]I liked it. That courtroom scene is just pure brilliance.[/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--] I too thought it was really good, until I realized that it doesn't matter even in the slightest what you say during the trial, since it ends up getting settled by combat anyway. Choice without consequence - a Bethesda, Bioware and Obsidian tradition. Why can't they make something interesting for a change?

Indra was here (20755) on 5/30/2007 3:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Hah. Almost completed Chapter 2. Building my stupid stronghold and I'm still not impressed. Neverwinter Nights 2, prepare to be trashed.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/15/2007 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

So. When we will see you bashing NWN 2? Act 3 can`t take that long.

Indra was here (20755) on 6/16/2007 5:04 PM · Permalink · Report

sigh I restarted again and somehow lost the mood due to character development. Didn't finish act 3. Don't think I'll have any plans to either. I'll write a review sooner or later.

Indra was here (20755) on 6/30/2007 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Just submitted (finally) my mediocre review for Neverwinter Nights 2. I don't think I burned the game enough. May update it more with more adolecent whining.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/30/2007 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Good. You do that. Can`t wait to read.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/3/2007 2:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Wooohooo! Day one and people are trashing my review already....muahahaha!
    Truth hurts doesn't it?

Oops, where's the toilet....

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/3/2007 3:25 AM · Permalink · Report

No, what hurts is that a veteran RPG guy like you is unable to appreciate one of the best RPGs of recent years for inexplicably stupid reasons.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/3/2007 8:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Gah, dude. Personal taste a subjective matter (hey, I'm allergic to programming bugs...) Give me Fable any day. Now at least that's the first game I know where you hero can actually fart. Regardless that is has no use whatsoever. Pure genius! Muahaha.

But, I'm hurt Oleg. Especially coming from you. :)

Sciere (930525) on 7/3/2007 8:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I enjoyed the review, even though such RPGs don't interest me much anymore. It's amazing how much listing them on the front page has increased the visibility and piqued the interest of readers. Older reviews have had less exposure. Maybe we could nominate older, excellent reviews as review of the week (with some clarification) to get it back on the front page.

Now to find something similar to actually make people vote for a game...

Indra was here (20755) on 7/3/2007 9:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--] Now to find something similar to actually make people vote for a game... [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Good point, Steijn. A "rate this game" besides the new reviews section on the MG main page appears to be an excellent idea.

Sending powerful mental note to you-know-who

*3+14 vs 20 = miss. Gah...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 7/3/2007 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Now at least that's the first game I know where you hero can actually fart.

I recall it played a prominent role in an OddWorld game, plus a Comix Zone tip just mentioned a farting easter egg. I'd better stop before we end up with a game group.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/3/2007 9:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] I recall it played a prominent role in an OddWorld game, plus a Comix Zone tip just mentioned a farting easter egg. I'd better stop before we end up with a game group. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

Whoa! Two good ideas in a row. I can already think of a game group description that will totally get us banned in several countries!

Sciere (930525) on 7/3/2007 9:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm still in shock that a stylish game like Ōkami has the protagonist (a wolf) and opponents (other creatures) pee on each other as a form of intimidation or as an attack. Happens in the animal kingdom all the time I guess.

Hmm, Postal² has it too... game group? =)

• Peeing protagonists (intimidation)
    • Peeing protagonists (sadism)
    • Peeing protagonists (gimmick)

xroox (3895) on 7/3/2007 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

At this point I have to mention that in Hunting Unlimited IV, you can buy a bottle of deer urine and rub it on your face.

(This is one of many reasons why I'm never going to go hunting)

Kabushi (261212) on 7/3/2007 9:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That reminds me of what my next mobile game submission will be, which interestingly is categorized as a life style game. I don't want to know whose life style that is.

Soak your socks and you lose.

Indra was here (20755) on 7/3/2007 10:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Reading this thread, "lol" and "hahaha" doesn't even remotely describe my facial features right now.

• Pissing Protagonist Games.
  • Fart-Themed Games.
  • Sock Soaking Themed Games? Nah. Bad idea. Now where else can you find that? Don't know about the admins, but I'm totally for making these game groups. Seriously. :)

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/3/2007 10:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Reading this thread, "lol" and "hahaha" doesn't even remotely describe my facial features right now. [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--] Took the words right out of my mouth! :-) :-) Except I was going to say something about a good dose of adolescent humor being like a breath of fresh air, but then I re-read the posts and decided against it......

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 7/4/2007 8:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Reading this thread, "lol" and "hahaha" doesn't even remotely describe my facial features right now.

• Pissing Protagonist Games.
  • Fart-Themed Games.
  • Sock Soaking Themed Games? Nah. Bad idea. Now where else can you find that? Don't know about the admins, but I'm totally for making these game groups. Seriously. :) [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--] Don't forget Outcast where you had to rub yourself with the feces of some dinosaur-like creature to be able to swim to a certain island. The smell of the "Gorgor Zort" (as it was called in the German version) scared away the dangerous fish.