🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Sam & Max: Episode 4 - Abe Lincoln Must Die! > Telltale frees Lincoln!

DJP Mom (11333) on 11/12/2007 6:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I wonder if I'm missing some little nuance, that no one has mentioned this, but Telltale is giving away Sam & Max Episode 4: Abe Lincoln Must Die! at Gamespot and FilePlanet as a promotion for the new episode.

chirinea (47495) on 11/12/2007 1:40 PM · Permalink · Report

OK, I'm already waiting in the line to download it, but I have to ask: is it ok to play it if I didn't play the previous ones? Am I missing some plot info here?

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/12/2007 4:48 PM · Permalink · Report

No, while there is a main story arc covering all the episodes, the connection between them is very weak. There might be some confusion however. Example: the characters Sam & Max are already familiar with, but you meet them for the first time. Still, all of the jokes and plot are episode-specific and do not require any knowledge of the previous episodes.

My advice for you is to go ahead and play it. Lincoln is a actually a second best episode right after the nerdy Reality 2.0.

And that musical number is the best moment of the whole season.

chirinea (47495) on 11/12/2007 4:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Right, thanks, I've already installed it and I'll start playing as soon as I get some free time (can't play it at work =P). And for those of you interested in the game, you can download it directly from Telltale's website (for those of you lazy about registering at Gamespot or FilePlanet and waiting in the line).

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/25/2007 5:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Finally got myself the taste of that episodic gaming. I must say I really like the idea. And of course I loved the game also.

chirinea (47495) on 11/25/2007 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Awesome game. Too bad it is short, but I guess that's what episodic games are about. Made me think about buying the other ones...

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/26/2007 3:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

And that's the reason why I am so amazed by the idea of episode gaming. Cause the individual episodes take only couple of hours to finish. And that's great cause how much time can we spend on games anyway.

At most, only a few big games can be managed. And thus episodic gaming is the answer to our "time" problems.

And they don't even need to have great gameplay (great as in ambitious, branching storyline based a la Pandora Directive). Ignoring the one part in this episode, I really didn't notice how I played it. In truth, it's actually the classical linear puzzle-based adventure game, but I didn't notice it until I discovered that I always missed one spot and thus couldn't continue.

It's simple, it's effective and I think it promises a great future for story-based games. I really hope for the Prison Breaks and Heroes of episodic gaming.

Though what I'd really want to see is "Early Edition" as episodic adventure game :-).