🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Overlord > Another Pratchett enters the literary fray?

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/27/2007 12:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Am I correct that Rhianna Pratchett, daughter of Terry, did dialogue and script for this game?

PolloDiablo (16852) on 7/27/2007 6:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes she did. She's done more game dialogues before.

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/27/2007 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Wonder if she has the family talent.

St. Martyne (3648) on 7/28/2007 10:44 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I can't imagine what I would become if I was brought up by Terry Pratchett! Although I am sure he must have been an excellent father.

Anybody played the game yet? Does it live up to the fame of Dungeon Keeper?

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/28/2007 2:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Looking around, it seems to be compared also to Pikmin for PC, though I hardly see the resemblance, aside from the "minions."

Here's the closing comments from the IGN PC review:

"Though Overlord borrows a lot from Pikmin, it's still a fairly unique game in its own right. The evil, yet light-hearted, humor and richly detailed world combine for a game that is worth diving into. A few issues with AI and the game's oftentimes confusing linear structure can present a few frustrating and disappointing moments. As is often the case though, the good elements outweigh the bad. The more polished gameplay, better controls, and cheaper price tag make this the version of Overlord to get."

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/29/2007 10:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start IGN reviewer wrote--]IGN reviewer said: "... confusing linear structure ..." [/Q --end IGN reviewer wrote--] WTF? O______o

Yeah, that's why I don't play lightgun games either, they're so complicated...

DJP Mom (11333) on 7/29/2007 10:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Oddly enough much of the rest of the review praised the game for it's non-linear qualities - exploring, etc...

DJP Mom (11333) on 8/3/2007 2:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, if anyone's interested there's a Joystiq interview with Rhianna Pratchett, and as I know some Moby people are fans of (readers of, if you prefer!) her father's work, here's what she says about him and games:

"My dad is a big gamer himself, but he doesn't have very much interest in point-and-click adventure games, like the Discworld titles. He had input into them, of course, and played and enjoyed them when they came out, but he much prefers first person shooters and stealth games. He was very into Half Life 2, Farcry and the Thief games. He also loves Oblivion and I just got him the expansion pack for his birthday."

"Is he looking forward to Heavenly Sword?"

"I don't think he'd know what to do with a PlayStation 3, to be honest. He's not console, he's completely PC. His PA bought him a PS2 a couple of years ago, I'm not sure it's ever been opened!"

Ha! A PC man!

Edit - link fixed, I hope :-)

St. Martyne (3648) on 8/3/2007 4:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Now that was completely unexpected! I have been reading Terry Pratchett since I was ten and he along with Douglas Adams is one of the most bright stars in humorous literature of past century. So hearing he's a gamer and more so a PC gamer is a song of joy to my heart. I am playing an Oblivion expansion right now, so I might say I'm playing now the same stuff as one of the greatest man on the Earth! Yupee!

Seriously, I think celebrities (TV, books or movies) should publicize their gaming preferences because that will certainly help to popularize gaming among the mature audience and attract more promising artists to games as medium for their ideas.

EDIT: The link doesn't seem to work. I get no article on the other end, just a bunch of links.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/4/2007 1:44 AM · Permalink · Report

If she was a good daughter, she'd bug Sony until they let Heavenly Sword come to the PC, as a gift for dad :D