Forums > Game Forums > The Two Towers > Another MUD backdoors its way in here...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 6/3/2011 3:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Last time via the DOS and Windows platforms, this time as a browser game. Does anyone remember what was missing from the Terminal software platform last time?

Sciere (930525) on 6/3/2011 3:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm sure you know, but it got in as a regular browser game: http://www.t2tmud.org/client

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 6/3/2011 4:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Something just rubs me the wrong way when the only date on file is 2010 and then in the description it says that the game has been running since 1994. Most games for many historical platforms can be made to run through web browsers one way or another, but documenting them here that way exclusively isn't the most honest or accurate approach to take. Sure I'd rather do this than not list the game at all, but there's a superior third option hypothetically at our disposal...

Indra was here (20755) on 6/3/2011 4:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Just tweak the description a bit. Since the 1994 release isn't the browser one. Might as well do a MUD game group while yer at it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 6/3/2011 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

The problem isn't with the description -- which is trying its game best to tell the broadest truth possible. The entry isn't for a browser game but for the overall game, which is the same plum thing but with a much longer lifespan.

Has this approval just come through after languishing since October of last year?

A game group might be a good start; we started documenting home-executable Flash games that way which eventually, it seemed, led to the browser platform. Incremental progress.

(The group would at this point include this, Discworld MUD, and Legends of Future Past.)

For point of reference, here are prior conversations (some approvers-only) we've had on the subject:

http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,4/dgm,114156/

http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,8/dgm,130490/

http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,1/dgm,130727/

http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,8/dgm,141704/

Indra was here (20755) on 6/3/2011 5:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]The problem isn't with the description -- which is trying its game best to tell the broadest truth possible. The entry isn't for a browser game but for the overall game, which is the same plum thing but with a much longer lifespan. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Like I said. Tweak the description so it only describes the browser game. Add additional information to identify the whole telnet game too, but the distinction should be obvious.

Do the game group and I'll revise accordingly. Hopefully if it reaches a few gazillion games, it'll warrant a new telnet platform or something the nerds here have better knowledge of.

Haven't touched a MUD in decades (dang teenagers keep bothering me to chat, when I want to do is cleave orc heads). I vaguely remember the last Java-based MUD I played actually had 2D graphics. Could be 3D for all I know by now. :p

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 6/3/2011 5:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Taking the original date out of the description further buries the game's fundamental truth. Are you suggesting I hide it somewhere in trivia?

I advocate putting that kind of information first and foremost as a kind of protest -- I make a special effort to also mention other unsupported platforms games were released for, and when, in game descriptions, especially when the games' original platforms aren't supported ones. (I did this a lot with the BBC; now that it's here, I don't bother with it so much 8)

Indra was here (20755) on 6/3/2011 6:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Taking the original date out of the description further buries the game's fundamental truth. Are you suggesting I hide it somewhere in trivia? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]No, in the same description. Aaaaaargh.

Example:

Two Towers is a free, text-based multiplayer online RPG set entirely within Tolkien's world of Middle-earth. It is an interactive world with over 100,000 rooms. There are hundreds of quests, with rewards great and small. The Two Towers has an active community of players from around the world who come together to play online.

The game was originally introduced in 1994 on telnet servers...(this is the part where you go on a nerd rampage)...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 6/3/2011 5:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm tempted to answer CP's call for a Featured article with a history of MUDs (or homebrew Z-code games, or some other substantial body of work officially unsupported here), but that's a lot of work for a spiteful gesture.

Tom Tildrum (14) on 6/7/2011 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I've submitted an edit to clarify the issue of dates and browser play. To answer the other question, no, the game hasn't been waiting since last October; I submitted this recently. No idea what poster Marli Neyer did or didn't do back then.