🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Ian Livingstone's Deathtrap Dungeon > Lots of screenshots and a few videos

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 1/7/2009 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I've taken quite a lot of screenshots for this game (443 to be precise) and since most of the screenshots you find online are old promo shots I thought I'd share some that show the actual game. I actually wanted to take a some more and order them properly, but since that's not going to happen anytime soon (and not too many of you are interested in seeing them anyway I guess), I'm just throwing out what I have. (There are still a lot of spoilers!)

You can download the screens here (about 25 mb).

I've also captured a few videos that you can view here

And here's a little preview:

(And yes, I did submit some of them, but they were rightfully rejected because they are enhanced, which I didn't know at first, because on the computer I used to capture most of them the respective menu didn't show up for some reason. Sorry about that Scierce and Servo.)

Havoc Crow (29861) on 1/8/2009 7:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--]most of the screenshots you find online are old promo shots [/Q --end Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--]

Aaaargh! Hate when that happens.

Similar thing's true for Half-Life and Wolfenstein 3D. For some reason, whenever any website/magazine wants to publish an article about these games, they end up using the promo shots from old versions of HL which have nothing to do with the game, or use only the screenies from the Macintosh version of Wolf3D.

jlebel (2190) on 2/28/2009 7:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Sorry to necropost, but I came across this thread and wanted ask about the enhancement you mention. Is this something you did (enlarged?), or did this enhancement happen unintentionally? Just wanting to know if this is something I should watch out for if I do screen shots for Windows games.

Havoc Crow (29861) on 2/28/2009 9:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I think he means that they have their brightness turned up (?)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 2/28/2009 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I kind of figured they were PS1-emulated taking advantage of the computer's ability to process textures and models beyond the PS1's.

jlebel (2190) on 3/1/2009 12:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Yep that makes sense; unintentional changes caused by an emulated environment. Thanks.

BTW, this game stinks!

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 3/1/2009 9:46 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start happy-porcupine wrote--]Yep that makes sense; unintentional changes caused by an emulated environment. Thanks. [/Q --end happy-porcupine wrote--] That's right. The only thing I intentionally changed was the resolution, because I think it looks closer to the real thing like this. With the resolution set to 320X240 the game looks even more pixelated than on the original PSX and you can barely tell what's going on. There are some other enhancements (the lighting effects for example), but as I said in the OP, I couldn't see that they were activated at first, maybe a graphic card thing

[Q --start happy-porcupine wrote--] BTW, this game stinks! [/Q --end happy-porcupine wrote--] Yeah, but I love it!

jlebel (2190) on 3/1/2009 12:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually I should have qualified my remark with 'the PC version', especially trying to run in anything other than pure Windows 9x. Being a long-time fan of the Fighting Fantasy series of books I was really looking forward to experiencing this game. Didn't even realize this was also made for the PS. Does a joystick make a big different?

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 3/1/2009 1:47 PM · Permalink · Report

I've never played the PC version, but I don't think it's very playable with anything other than a joypad. I don't think that there are many differences between the PC and PSX versions, except for slightly better graphics on the PC. I understand why many people hate it though, it is often very frustrating, although it isn't all that difficult. Close Combat and A.I. are fairly poor: one on one fights are always easy, but fights against several enemies are often a matter of luck. Fortunately, this is compensated by a large amount of weapons and spell. The game's really a matter of taste, but it does have a unique atmosphere and if you can look past its many flaws and have a bit of a masochistic streak you might like it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/1/2009 9:39 PM · Permalink · Report

a long-time fan of the Fighting Fantasy series of books

In which case you should definitely check out the Fighting Fantasy gamebook adaptations game group here, as well as the to-be-someday-approved Amateur gamebook conversions group... of which The Trial of Allibor's Tomb is a great example.

Sciere (930490) on 3/1/2009 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Seems like I approved that game again today... the second entry has been whipped back.