🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Any normal humans beings here use XBL?

duffers on 2/10/2009 5:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Hello there, I'm Dan.

Are there any non-misogynistic, nationalist, nor racist folk here on MG? Would like to have a somewhat civilised game of Left 4 Dead or the like, without having to deal with some flag waving, parochial, proud of the fact he's a part of the degenerate race of humans moron.

vedder (70822) on 2/10/2009 9:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I keep my political agenda and gaming strictly seperate. AND play a fair deal of L4D. Unfortunately for you on a PC and not an Xbox.

robotriot (9015) on 2/10/2009 11:22 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm on XBL, don't have L4D yet though. I hardly play online anyway ...

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 2/10/2009 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start duffers wrote--] humans moron. [/Q --end duffers wrote--]

I think you meant to say," human morons".

duffers on 2/11/2009 8:05 AM · Permalink · Report

There was actually meant to be a comma between humans, and moron.

Great to see the search is going well.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 2/11/2009 12:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start duffers wrote--]There was actually meant to be a comma between humans, and moron.

Great to see the search is going well. [/Q --end duffers wrote--]

I was being sarcastic.

Edit-And I don't have a 360, so I couldn't play anyway. Sorry !

lasttoblame (414) on 3/20/2009 8:26 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start duffers wrote--]There was actually meant to be a comma between humans, and moron.

Great to see the search is going well. [/Q --end duffers wrote--]

No one would have mentioned that on XBL. Grammar is beyond the scope of online gaming philistines.

(psst: DANIEL HAWKS!, maybe it's time you mentioned it to Dan that game he's playing is "Left For Dead" and not that grammatical abomination he's been quoting. We wouldn't want Dan to embarrass himself at the golf course or the next black-tie event, wouldn't we?)

Foxhack (32100) on 2/11/2009 8:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Wait. Normal people?

At MobyGames?

The only person that's pretty normal here is DJP Mom. The rest of us... nnnnnnnnnnot so much.

chirinea (47495) on 2/11/2009 8:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kit Silva wrote--]The only person that's pretty normal here is DJP Mom. The rest of us... nnnnnnnnnnot so much. [/Q --end Kit Silva wrote--]A librarian, mother of three children, who enjoy video games and who hangs around with us? Normal? Yeah, right... =P

DJP Mom (11333) on 2/11/2009 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks! Uh, wait a minute...

Plus, I'm pretty sure I only have 2 kids, but I'll check again ;)

chirinea (47495) on 2/12/2009 10:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]Thanks! Uh, wait a minute...

Plus, I'm pretty sure I only have 2 kids, but I'll check again ;) [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] I really don't know why I always remember you having 3 kids, Mom, sorry! I know from Facebook photos just two of them, but I guess it is the DJP thing (which I maybe thought that could be the initials of each of your children, though today I know that are your initials.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/13/2009 9:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]Thanks! Uh, wait a minute...

Plus, I'm pretty sure I only have 2 kids, but I'll check again ;) [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] Ten bucks says she left the other kid at the library.
Again. :)

Since when do librarians qualify as normal? :p

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/12/2009 5:15 AM · Permalink · Report

A librarian, mother of three children, who enjoy video games and who hangs around with us? Normal? Yeah, right... =P

Oh... I suppose a bearded, psychology-teaching, rock-band-participating, obscure Sega Master System-release-submitting Brazilian of Italian-Lebanese ancestry who only recently had a personal clay figurine of himself posing as avatar on an Internet site and wants an epitaph on his tomb use MobyGames tags is something you encounter every day?

:)~

chirinea (47495) on 2/12/2009 10:24 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]A librarian, mother of three children, who enjoy video games and who hangs around with us? Normal? Yeah, right... =P

Oh... I suppose a bearded, psychology-teaching, rock-band-participating, obscure Sega Master System-release-submitting Brazilian of Italian-Lebanese ancestry who only recently had a personal clay figurine of himself posing as avatar on an Internet site and wants an epitaph on his tomb use MobyGames tags is something you encounter every day?

:)~ [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--] Hey, the beard is gone, I'm pretty normal right now, ok? =D

Edit: and BTW, this pic in your avatar is just great!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/12/2009 5:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Edit: and BTW, this pic in your avatar is just great!

Thanks :) I think my son looks pretty cool there, with super-fat cheeks and funny nose :)

—- (1623) on 2/12/2009 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JazzOleg wrote--]Edit: and BTW, this pic in your avatar is just great!

Thanks :) I think my son looks pretty cool there, with super-fat cheeks and funny nose :) [/Q --end JazzOleg wrote--]

You know, he really does look pretty cool there, with his father's funny nose right next to him ;D

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/12/2009 7:23 PM · Permalink · Report

You know, he really does look pretty cool there, with his father's funny nose right next to him ;D

Hey, I had a very similar nose when I was his age! Cute little nose, baby girls just went crazy :)

Anyway, I hope my son will be as beautiful as his mother when he grows up. And as intelligent as his father.

Just not the other way around, please!..

:-/

lasttoblame (414) on 3/20/2009 8:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I think Dan has a good question, which raises another good question: why is online play completely mandatory for current gen releases, and why is everyone a douchebag? (except Dan, that is.)

If it is true that every game now must has online and everyone online is a douche, then: By being a douchebag, am I genetically predisposed to seek out other douchebags, and online capability is a great way to do so? Does the act of going online turn people into douchebags? If so, are game devs encouraging gamers to be douches by making every game an online fragfest, or are they meeting the douchebag requirements of the gamer community? Or, is douchebaggery just an integral component of gaming and playing online just exposes it? Must Dan douche up?

As for me, I have both an Xbox 360 and L4D. However, I am not hooked up to mother internet and XBL. Unfortunately, Dan, you will have to find someone else to tell you how much they hate women, minorities and themselves.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/20/2009 4:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lasttoblame wrote--]Does the act of going online turn people into douchebags? [/Q --end lasttoblame wrote--] Only when they become someone entirely different from the actual person 'away from keyboard'.

"Different" in my experience usually refers to uncivilized. Hardly have heard of an example of the virtual person being better than their actual selves.

vedder (70822) on 3/20/2009 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I usually add anyone who wasn't douchebag to my Steam friendslist. So by now I can play games with non-douchebags every night no matter if my real friends are available or not.

This sorting process might take decades on XBL though... ¬.¬

Tracy Poff (2094) on 3/21/2009 7:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lasttoblame wrote--] If it is true that every game now must has online and everyone online is a douche, then: By being a douchebag, am I genetically predisposed to seek out other douchebags, and online capability is a great way to do so? Does the act of going online turn people into douchebags? If so, are game devs encouraging gamers to be douches by making every game an online fragfest, or are they meeting the douchebag requirements of the gamer community? Or, is douchebaggery just an integral component of gaming and playing online just exposes it? Must Dan douche up? [/Q --end lasttoblame wrote--] As it turns out, the great minds of our time have already considered this question.

lasttoblame (414) on 3/23/2009 10:04 AM · Permalink · Report

I guess, Tracy Poff, I have yet to receive that particular episode in the junk folder of my inbox; Penny Arcade is every gamer's favorite web comic by default, considering the dreck out there. They are not worth one cent.

I still think this is worth some talk. Online play is a mainstay of current gen games, and gamers will bitch and moan if they don't get it; this is all the while perplexing that people are asking for an experience that is fundamentally flawed. Game developers spend vast resources so people can be dicks to each other online, resources that could have gone to developing a great single player experience, say Bioshock or Dead Space, both single player only games. I think it's fair to say these are the exceptions to the rule, and every single game you play in the future will have you online--and acting like a douche, unless you're Dan.