🕹ī¸ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Suggestions > Hide platforms pending deletion from new game wizard

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/4/2016 1:11 PM · Permalink · Report

While submitting a new iOS game, I initially selected both the iPhone and iPad platforms, before looking up the release details and finding out that it actually runs exclusively on iPad. The iPhone platform for said entry is now in the ~3-day deletion period. I now can't finish the release information step of the new game wizard, nor finish the submission, because iPhone is still listed and asks for release information to be submitted. As I don't want to mess things up further by adding dummy info, hoping that it will get removed without a hitch when the platform goes, I'll just wait for all traces of the abandoned iPhone info to disappear.

I don't intend to do the clicked-one-platform-too-many mistake habitually in future submissions, but it might make sense to remove platforms that are pending removal from subsequent steps in the wizard, so that info for the other platforms can be submitted.

Rwolf (22827) on 3/4/2016 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

The question is which is better, complete an entry with dummy info, or leave it incomplete, if it takes the same time to vanish?

(I've done the dummy info version once, just so I could finish the submission, and I know that worked ok.)

Kabushi (261212) on 3/4/2016 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

There's no issue with that, it will all be gone the platform disappears.

It would be interesting to know if there is a technical reason for not being able to remove a platform right away. It is a bit confusing as it is now.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/4/2016 10:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kabushi wrote--]It would be interesting to know if there is a technical reason for not being able to remove a platform right away. It is a bit confusing as it is now.[/Q --end Kabushi wrote--]

It's a bit confusing that it happens, although at least it's documented fine – I get a nice footnote saying "in the process of being removed from the system, which might take up to three days".

The wording "up to three days" makes me assume it's technical reasons, maybe some database cleanup that is performed only every 72 hours.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 3/5/2016 9:08 PM · Permalink · Report

It would be interesting to know if there is a technical reason for not being able to remove a platform right away. It is a bit confusing as it is now.

In general most items won't be deleted in the normal process of events. Submissions can be abandoned or rejected, and for various types (new game platforms among them) the system automatically clears out the old ones after a few days.

I'll see about preventing the release info step from forcing you to add releases for rejected/abandoned platforms. Meanwhile, it won't do any harm, because the periodic cleanup will delete them along with the platform.

There's not any technical reason it couldn't be changed to delete platforms immediately, but this way if for example an approver would WIP an entry but also add some extra information (e.g. tech specs) to it, there will be a little time before the platform is deleted, which could be handy.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 3/5/2016 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

However, I recently had the problem that the platforms were not removed at all.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 3/5/2016 10:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm. I'll check the script that prunes the DB later and see what's happening.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 3/7/2016 10:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think this is happening for me, too. It has definitely been more than three days since I removed the iPhone platform, and it's still there.

I now decided to submit the game in a separate submission, and keep the unfinished one around to see if/when the iPhone platform disappears. So far it's still there.

Update: It was gone when I checked today. So it showed as pending deletion from 28th of February to 10th or 11th of March.