☕ Research video games with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > News > The OFLC strikes again

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 10/4/2008 2:28 AM · Permalink · Report

The latest installment in the Silent Hill series, Homecoming, has been refused a rating by the OFLC due to excessive violence, meaning that it has failed the requirements for any of the Australian game ratings. In its current form, a game is banned outright if it fails the requirements for any of the Australian ratings, which only go up to MA15+.

Unfortunately, this is due to the fact that Australia does not have a adults-only rating and that the censors still think that only children play video games. The only way that the game can legally be sold is if the distributors submit a crippled version of the game that has the offending content removed. But even if it gets released in Australia, this would not stop people from importing the game or resorting to piracy.

Klaster_1 (57610) on 10/4/2008 2:55 AM · Permalink · Report

"MobyGames: The largest source for OFLC banned games news."

Xoleras (66141) on 10/4/2008 6:13 AM · Permalink · Report

I wonder if I could re-use/edit this and climb the news item ladder quickly with tons of The BPjM strikes again news posts. =)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/4/2008 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Oliver Jahn wrote--]I wonder if I could re-use/edit this and climb the news item ladder quickly with tons of The BPjM strikes again news posts. =) [/Q --end Oliver Jahn wrote--]

Lol ! I'm sure you could. ;)

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 10/5/2008 1:02 AM · Permalink · Report

And how often does the BPjM ban games? Almost every month like the OFLC does?

chirinea (47495) on 10/5/2008 1:10 AM · Permalink · Report

You can judge it yourself.

Xoleras (66141) on 10/5/2008 1:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

But I wonder why the BPjM group has 300+ games in it, but the OFLC RC rating has just 15 games listed. If they indeed banning like crazy too, someone should update this a bit. :-)

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 10/5/2008 4:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, there are indeed more than just 15 games banned by the OFLC. Unfortunately, for games that were made from 2006 onwards, RC just is not selectable on the forms where you can contribute the ratings.

Xoleras (66141) on 10/6/2008 1:58 PM · Permalink · Report

After a bit of conversation with Rob about RC and whether this is a rating or not (about the "refused" part of it ;)), he extended the year range, so you can fill in the games. :)

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 10/7/2008 12:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Thank you.

Most of the games that get banned in Australia are submitted in a crippled version of some way, and that is the reason why you see about 15 games on the RC list.

Xoleras (66141) on 10/5/2008 1:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, (in average) at least one game per month since the last 25 years. =)

Indra was here (20752) on 10/5/2008 6:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Oliver Jahn wrote--]I wonder if I could re-use/edit this and climb the news item ladder quickly with tons of The BPjM strikes again news posts. =) [/Q --end Oliver Jahn wrote--]

What...50,000 points not enough, mate? :)

Xoleras (66141) on 10/6/2008 12:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Enough? Hmm, not really. =)

But I actually wrote this for the other way. While things like the ESRB hick-up with San Andreas and the coffee mod were actually funny, I don't think we need news items for every "game x banned in country y because of stupid organization z" as it is usually always the same crap.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/6/2008 12:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Oliver Jahn wrote--]Enough? Hmm, not really. =)

But I actually wrote this for the other way. While things like the ESRB hick-up with San Andreas and the coffee mod were actually funny, I don't think we need news items for every "game x banned in country y because of stupid organization z" as it is usually always the same crap. [/Q --end Oliver Jahn wrote--]

Exactly what I think. These articles take how much space ? 6, 7 gigs ? ;)

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/4/2008 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Perhaps they should make games without as much violence.

LepricahnsGold (142744) on 10/5/2008 2:41 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Игги Друге wrote--]Perhaps they should make games without as much violence. [/Q --end Игги Друге wrote--] Nah. :-)

POMAH (66430) on 10/5/2008 1:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Or to introduce the system of determining the player's age like it was done in Leisure Suit Larry 1 or 3 and updating the content with the results of determination? However, the over 99-years-old person will not be able to play the game too... :-)

Indra was here (20752) on 10/5/2008 6:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Игги Друге wrote--]Perhaps they should make games without as much violence. [/Q --end Игги Друге wrote--]

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed, I see. :p

beetle120 (2415) on 10/6/2008 1:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Black Wolf wrote--]Unfortunately, this is due to the fact that Australia does not have a adults-only rating and that the censors still think that only children play video games. The only way that the game can legally be sold is if the distributors submit a crippled version of the game that has the offending content removed. But even if it gets released in Australia, this would not stop people from importing the game or resorting to piracy. [/Q --end Black Wolf wrote--]

Black Wolf I know you are p---ed off about every game banning in Australia, been an Australian my self I feel for you (so hate that we get an edited GTA IV) but telling the people here is not going to change anything.

(Just on a side note Michael Atkinson is the 6th most hated person by Australians for been the sole person blocking the introduction of the R rating.)

Indra was here (20752) on 10/6/2008 4:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start beetle120 wrote--] Black Wolf I know you are !@#!$%$#$ off about every game banning in Australia, been an Australian my self I feel for you... [/Q --end beetle120 wrote--]

Gawd it sucks to be an Australian gamer, my total sincere condolences. The Indonesian gaming black market is just a couple hundred miles away... :)

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 10/6/2008 11:56 PM · Permalink · Report

beetle120: Black Wolf I know you are p---ed off about every game banning in Australia, been an Australian my self I feel for you (so hate that we get an edited GTA IV) but telling the people here is not going to change anything.

I know. I just want to tell people that we are still the laughing stock of the world when it comes to video games. I am not bitchin' about games being banned, just informing you all.

Quote: (Just on a side note Michael Atkinson is the 6th most hated person by Australians for been the sole person blocking the introduction of the R rating.)

We would have a R rating for games by know, if South Australians weren't idiots and didn't continue to vote Atkinson in.

Who is the most hated man?

beetle120 (2415) on 10/7/2008 8:08 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Black Wolf wrote--] Who is the most hated man? [/Q --end Black Wolf wrote--]

Sonny Bill Williams for ditching Australian rugby league for a French team so he can get paid more. This was in a poll by Zoo Weekly, a mens magazine. link

beetle120 (2415) on 11/7/2008 1:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Finally some good news. Hope it passes