🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Which game do you think has the best soundtrack?

TwoDividedByZero (114) on 7/29/2010 11:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Many games have many VGM's in them! Which one do you think has the best? personally I love the 80s and Grand Theft Auto Vice City has my vote!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 7/30/2010 3:24 AM · Permalink · Report

I was always particular to the music in the first Dune game, plus Star Control 2 of course.

BdR (7207) on 8/2/2010 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

The music from Outrun is a classic. In Outrun 2006 they used the exact same music, for good reason, only re-recorded with better instruments of course.

More recently, Professor Layton and the Curious Village has some amazing music. This one about Town is my favourite.

Indra was here (20755) on 8/2/2010 11:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Best sound track? That's a no brainer. No game has ever triumphed over Final Fantasy soundtracks. Then again, no soundtracks from Western game has ever triumphed over Japanese games in general either. Well, music is a matter of personal taste regardless.

I do remember the worst soundtrack I've ever heard: Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. They had the nerve to use a really crappy rock-intro-song with an equally crappy rock singer balanced by an equally crappy intro cut-scene. Lovely. :p

GTA technically doesn't count as a game (original) soundtrack, btw.

Adzuken (836) on 8/2/2010 5:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]GTA technically doesn't count as a game (original) soundtrack, btw. [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] Why not? It's still a video game soundtrack, even if it isn't original. If licensed soundtracks don't count, this would invalidate LittleBigPlanet's stellar soundtrack, and that would be a crime.

I do feel that I must point out that we've had this discussion once before. However, it's a nice topic to revisit.

I can't say I really hold tab on what my favourite soundtrack is. The one I tend to keep revisiting is Axelay's. The game is far from stellar, but the soundtrack is spot on. Other than that? I'm drawing a blank.

Indra was here (20755) on 8/2/2010 6:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--] [Q2 --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]GTA technically doesn't count as a game (original) soundtrack, btw. [/Q2 --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] Why not? It's still a video game soundtrack, even if it isn't original. If licensed soundtracks don't count, this would invalidate LittleBigPlanet's stellar soundtrack, and that would be a crime.[/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

Well, simply because I wouldn't relate Michael Jackson or any other 80's artists to GTA. In movies, you hear a song from the soundtrack, you may relate it to the movie. No not for GTA. All the songs are bigger than the game.

Now if there where artists that specifically had their songs first released for GTA however...

Spenot (8592) on 8/2/2010 6:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]I do remember the worst soundtrack I've ever heard: Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. They had the nerve to use a really crappy rock-intro-song with an equally crappy rock singer balanced by an equally crappy intro cut-scene. Lovely. :p [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] What, what, what?! Hansi Kürsch a crappy rock singer? Hrrmmpphh!

Anyway, one my favorite soundtracks would be the Planescape: Torment one, generally gives a very soothing and haunting vibe.

Indra was here (20755) on 8/2/2010 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Spenot wrote--] [Q2 --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]I do remember the worst soundtrack I've ever heard: Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. They had the nerve to use a really crappy rock-intro-song with an equally crappy rock singer balanced by an equally crappy intro cut-scene. Lovely. :p [/Q2 --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] What, what, what?! Hansi Kürsch a crappy rock singer? Hrrmmpphh! [/Q --end Spenot wrote--] He's famous?

Wouldn't be the first time for a rock star to sing like used refrigerator.

shivers at echoes of Mick Jagger's solo album

Spenot (8592) on 8/2/2010 7:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dewa Indra? wrote--] [Q2 --start Spenot wrote--] [Q3 --start Dewa Indra? wrote--]I do remember the worst soundtrack I've ever heard: Sacred 2: Fallen Angel. They had the nerve to use a really crappy rock-intro-song with an equally crappy rock singer balanced by an equally crappy intro cut-scene. Lovely. :p [/Q3 --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] What, what, what?! Hansi Kürsch a crappy rock singer? Hrrmmpphh! [/Q2 --end Spenot wrote--] He's famous?

Wouldn't be the first time for a rock star to sing like used refrigerator.

shivers at echoes of Mick Jagger's solo album [/Q --end Dewa Indra? wrote--] Well, as far as metal bands go, Blind Guardian is a pretty well-known band, although I'll give you that the Sacred track is pretty far from their best work, but still pretty enjoyable. At least the album-version of that track is miles better than what appeared in the game (I especially like the added orchestral parts in the album version).

Here are some better tracks, anyway, showing some of their better songs: Harvest of Sorrow (ballad), Imaginations from the Other Side (faster live track).

EDIT: Looking it up on youtube, I just noticed that there's another version of the intro, with some narration and really generic guitar riffs, but that doesn't feature any other vocals. If it's that version you were talking about, you're absolutely right, that is pretty bad :)). Still, Hansi Kürsch is awesome :P.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/2/2010 11:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Anything by Sega between 1985 and 1995. Though they still do pretty good.

There's a lot of other great music from that period, though, too. One of the wonderful things about game music is the wide swath of diverse styles you find, even just within the chip stuff. :)

Some recent favorites are Shatter, Etrian Odyssey 3, and Chiptuned Rockman...there's scarcely a dud between those three albums. virt's track on Chiptuned Rockman is epic, but doesn't seem to be on Youtube right now.

vedder (70822) on 8/3/2010 1:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Anything Alexander Brandon put his hands on.

Sciere (930490) on 8/3/2010 1:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not the best, but the most memorable for me: anything Yuzo Koshiro did for the music of Streets of Rage. It's so easy to recognize the tracks again after so many years, with their damp summer vibe, here's a video compilation.

Also, Lavender town =)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/3/2010 8:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--] Also, Lavender town =) [/Q --end Sciere wrote--] Did you by any chance happen to read this recently? :P

Sciere (930490) on 8/3/2010 8:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Edit: yes, probably that one. It's fake but well written, and now someone's actually making that hack =)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 8/3/2010 9:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I think this one is actually a better story, but they're both pretty creepy. I love it when games screw with your expectations like that.

Sciere (930490) on 8/4/2010 12:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Aha, that was the one I actually read. I suspected so, but I couldn't find it back so I thought it was that other one after all. The fragmented one is even better, especially since it's such an innocent game. There is another "rumor" about psychological experiments with sound and visual in one of those, disturbing kids (false) and more recently the US guy who hacked into a Pokemon event and distributed a custom (profane) Pokémon to kids through Wi-Fi (true).

Urban legends do live on in the new century.

Parf (7873) on 8/3/2010 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I think two of my favorite soundtracks would be from Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star Online. Just listen to them and tell me I'm wrong. ;)

Kabushi (261206) on 8/3/2010 9:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Neverhood is still the best

I also like the soundtrack from Icewind Dale a lot

Esther van Gobseck (32) on 8/22/2010 12:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Nether Earth theme is the best VGM ever. Btw i will repeatedly kiss the feet of a person who gives me a perfect MIDI copy of it to set it as my ringtone.