🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Black and white or color screenshots from an actual original computer.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 4/24/2017 10:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am not entirely sure if it was already spoken about or if this is the right place to discuss this subject, but I DO wonder if is it okay to make photos of old computer games on an actual original computer (example: a C64) if the screenshots are in black and white? Or should it always be in color? If you know what I mean.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 4/29/2017 3:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Screenshots from vintage hardware are great; as for photos however, unless you have one of those classic rigs (I can't find the photo of the camera at one end of a black sleeve, the monitor at the other) magazines used to use to generate their "screenshots", I doubt you'll be able to generate useable photographs.

Edwin Drost (9479) on 4/29/2017 10:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Is this a bit okay?

And yes. There is a bit of light shining there, but that is because the sun was shining in the room. If you know what I mean.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/10/2017 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

While these are fine for me to look at in a forum, I don't think we would include them in the database.

Rwolf (22827) on 5/10/2017 8:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I assume these pics are from a C64, and Edwin only have these programs on floppydisks.

Then it's either to get a video capture device to hook up to the C64, and get images from this, or try to copy the floppies to a PC and run an emulator. Both methods need special hardware, as far as I know. If that is not possible, then to find someone with such hardware and ask for help - which may be possible, but also involves a third party.

It is not something we can demand of anyone, of course, as it will take some effort, money and time to accomplish.

https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/A/V_jack (Needs some care to safeguard capture device, if S-video is used)

http://archiveteam.org/index.php?title=Rescuing_Floppy_Disks (one possible German volunteer listed - if the info is still valid)

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/21/2017 11:39 AM · Permalink · Report

I have the hardware to dump C64 floppies in case it is needed.