🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > The Underdog: Cartoons

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/28/2007 6:33 AM · Permalink · Report

I think most people here agree that animation, or any form of illustration (especially comics) is highly underrated in today's society. But there are a lot of really good cartoons out there that make some really daring points. In fact, I think many shows wouldn't be able to pull off the type of stuff they do without being able to bend the rules of reality with animation.

One show is The Boondocks. Its based off of a comic strip, and damn it is really really good. It's possibly one of the greatest satires in American history, and sadly it's an almost shockingly acccurate portrayal of American values these days. One of their best episodes is Return of the King. But even so, that show would never be able to pull off that type of drama without animation.

Another one is South Park. Sure its infamous for its disgusting humor and really racist themes, but they are one of the best satires ever to come out of America. Yea, there are some really really weird ones (especially recently), but when they come out with a satirical episode, it can really blow you out of the water. My favorite episode is the Butt Out episode. Its almost like they're an animated version of Penn & Teller's Bullshit (I've actually heard that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are actually good friends with those guys).

Shows like these come under lots of flak not only because they're controversial, but I find that very serious cartoons rarely ever get the recognition they deserve. I get really pissed because it seems like The Simpsons is the only cartoon these days that people will really take seriously. Everything else is "just kids stuff." Even so, even the "kids shows" are outrageously well done. There are a lot of Saturday morning cartoons that have really great plots and character development. So yea, its has a really innocent undertone, but negate the fact that the writing for the show is great.

What do you guys think? Any cartoons out there with really great plot and writing that's really underappreciated?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/28/2007 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Elfenlied!

Beautiful stuff - sick, perverse and very japanese yes, but beautiful.

Just watch the intro.

Servo (57070) on 6/28/2007 4:16 PM · Permalink · Report

how about that, I just finished watching Elfen Lied a couple of days ago!

Indra was here (20755) on 6/28/2007 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Underated? Wouldn't know. Hentai rulez! Boondocks is a sad...sad...cartoon strip. Only because unfortunately the events portrayed it in are true. Poor Americans.

Maw (832) on 6/29/2007 1:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Fantasy/Sci-fi is exactly the same, because it allows you to say things that would look absurd in a more realistic setting. Case in point: take any of the deep philosophical discussions in the Star Wars movies and put them in the mouths of real-life people driving to work on monday. You'll break up laughing.

About cartoons, I think satire works best when it's not slapping you in the face. I don't really enjoy shows like the Simpsons or South Park where it's obvious you're dealing with a satire. Really clever cartoons (All Dogs Go to Heaven is a good one) are able to communicate the same messages while still delivering straight-up entertainment.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 6/29/2007 3:51 AM · Permalink · Report

take any of the deep philosophical discussions in the Star Wars movies

There are deep philosophical discussions in the Star Wars movies?

chirinea (47495) on 6/29/2007 3:53 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]take any of the deep philosophical discussions in the Star Wars movies

There are deep philosophical discussions in the Star Wars movies? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] What about the good ol' patricide theme?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 6/29/2007 8:17 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't believe Luke ever has any intention of killing Darth Vader.

In any case that's not philosophy, it's Greek tragedy. (And Freudian psychoanalysis 8)

chirinea (47495) on 6/29/2007 8:25 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]In any case that's not philosophy, it's Greek tragedy. (And Freudian psychoanalysis 8) [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] I was thinking more on the Freudian side, but anyway, I almost agree with a friend of mine who says Psychoanalysis is literature. =)

Indra was here (20755) on 6/30/2007 10:40 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]take any of the deep philosophical discussions in the Star Wars movies

There are deep philosophical discussions in the Star Wars movies? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

If Yoda farts, that is a deep philosophical impression. Anything Yoda says or does has a philosophical meaning. Ommmmmmmmm.