🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > FPS Recommendations II

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/28/2010 9:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Guys, I'm in a crazy FPS phase! I need more FPS recommendations! Gimme gimme gimme!! :)

Interested in shooters with good level design, perhaps interactivity or something, interesting settings and good stories as bonus! NOT interested in any war/simulation-like stuff. No Call of Duty or Medal of Honor or whatever they are called.

No recommendations for games released before 2000, please! I think I've tried everything I wanted to in that time period.

Also, no recommendations for games made by Valve or Monolith or Raven or such famous developers.

Bottom line: need to play more of those "best FPSs nobody played"!

Thanks in advance! :)

Spenot (8592) on 7/28/2010 11:12 AM · Permalink · Report

You might like Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi, based loosely on Bram Stoker's Dracula. The game has a few interesting mechanics as in there's a time limit, and you have to save your family members captured by the Count before time runs out, or it's game over. It's been very long since I played it, but I kinda remember it having a bit of a rogue-like quality with enemies randomized, and each rescued family member giving some sort of bonus (?), don't quote me on that, though.

Two games that look like they have pretty interesting settings, but which I haven't played due to not owning an Xbox are Darkwatch and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. At least Stranger's Wrath is coming to the PC along with Munch's Oddysee in the near future.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/28/2010 2:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the recommendation! I already have Stranger's Wrath, though (I'm a big fan of Oddworld games).

Donatello (466) on 7/28/2010 3:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I know it goes absolutely against your wishes, but the first Medal of Honor games for the PSX are really good for console shooters. They have a very Spielbergian atmosphere to them, have quite a bit of charm (especially the infiltration levels) and, in my opinion, good level designs. I'm not a big fan of modern WWII shooters since they're so fixated on realism and everything, but the first two Medal of Honor games are really humble. :) The thing is that they are WWII flavored games. There are no representations of actual historical battles like you so often encounter these days, so the levels are quite interesting.

Oh, and Underground has one of the best WWII FPS levels ever, "Where Beagles Dare". Trust me, it's suspenseful. :D

Of course, you do have to have an open mind to enjoy them, as they can seem archaic these days.

Even if you don't feel like trying them, I just had to mention them. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/28/2010 3:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, not sure that's what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway! :)

Speaking of which: does anyone know game with a good, serious, perhaps even touching WWII story?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 7/28/2010 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Speaking of which: does anyone know game with a good, serious, perhaps even touching WWII story? [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

The Brothers in Arms series is probably the only one that comes close.

Macs Black (80288) on 7/28/2010 4:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Have you tried Far Cry 2? I did like it very much, great setting, gameplay and story!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/28/2010 5:04 PM · Permalink · Report

What about the first Far Cry? Which one is better? Hey, what about Crysis?

BurningStickMan (17916) on 7/28/2010 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Far Cry 1 is campy sci-fi in a pretty jungle. Plays like a cheesy Schwarzenegger movie.

Far Cry 2 is a much more serious tale in Africa, and more based in reality (lots of body awareness, first-person driving, balancing factions, pulling out bullets with pliers). Plays like... mmmm... Traffic?

Crysis is serious sci-fi in a prettier jungle. Plays like Predator, if you were the Predator.

Hard to say which is better, but Far Cry 2 is definitely the departure.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/28/2010 8:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Metro 2033, maybe? it's atmospheric and spooky post apocolyptic horror game. only one i can think of within your restrictions.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95234) on 7/28/2010 8:58 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not strictly a first-person shooter, but have you played Breakdown? It's one of the very few examples of a Japanese-developed first-person shooter(/puncher) I know of, and even just from that it's rather fascinating. It's actually got a lot in common with Mirror's Edge, in my opinion. Can't speak for the level design much, but it's been years since I played it and I still remember specific bits quite well, so that should say something. :)

Lain Crowley (6629) on 7/28/2010 9:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Breakdown was a Japanese attempt at making Half-Life. It gets a lot wrong, but does enough that's interesting that it'll be worth coming back to in future generations. It also has one of the more interesting uses of time travel in video game canon.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95234) on 7/29/2010 3:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, yeah! You haven't mentioned anything about platforms, so...Metroid Prime, if you haven't yet. Only the first one though, not the shitty sequels. Some people hate it, but those people have no soul.

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/28/2010 11:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You ever played Mirror's Edge? It's not a shooter, but as far as first person games come, it doesn't get more unique than that.

Also, Condemned: Criminal Origins. Again, not a shooter, but the most amazingly visceral first person action you'll ever encounter. And while we're on the subject of first person non-shooters with visceral interactivity, you may wanna try Zeno Clash as well.

And since you didn't rule it out this time: You Are EMPTY. You just can't not appreciate this game.

What about the newest S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Seriously, everything you could complain about the series has been fixed in this one. It's seven kinds of awesome.

BioShock 2. Everything that was fun about the first one is much more fun in this, and there are some set pieces really really worth experiencing.

Call of Juarez and Call of Juarez: Bound In Blood: Pure classic western shooty shooter awesomeness. And the stories aren't half bad either.

Also, Fallout 3 =P

Indra was here (20755) on 7/28/2010 11:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] What about the newest S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? Seriously, everything you could complain about the series has been fixed in this one. It's seven kinds of awesome. [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] Stay away from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky though. They somewhat ruined the experience there.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95234) on 7/29/2010 2:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]You ever played Mirror's Edge? It's not a shooter, but as far as first person games come, it doesn't get more unique than that.[/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] Huh. I mentioned this, but didn't think to actually recommend it. I've mentioned this before, but this was bar-none my GOTY 2008. Not for everybody, and the story sucked (especially the cutscenes), but in terms of level design, art design, and gameplay design, it's absolutely fantastic. Though be warned, it's built for speed-running, time trials, and replays, so if you just want to blast through the campaign once and put it away you might not get that much out of it.

xroox (3895) on 7/29/2010 7:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, Mirror's Edge was one of my GOTYs too. I wasn't particularly interested in the time trials, but I got a lot out of the main game. To my surprise, I even really liked the story. Sure, it had some dodgy writing and stupid plot twists... but I actually became emotionally invested in the character and her world. Apart from that, the gameplay is unique and brilliant and it looks beautiful.

Play it! Play it!

Oh yeah, and Oleg - Let's try to fix whatever problems you were having with You Are Empty - You still gotta play that one.

Another recommendation: Dark Sector. Not an FPS (i.e. It's a third person shooter). Terrible story. Not the greatest game in the world, very derivative in certain ways, but it has some neat ideas (most importantly the spinning blade o' death) and there's just has a certain indefinable charm to it.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 7/29/2010 6:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Have you tried Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth? Though it's not really a classic FPS, but has a lot of stealth/adventure game elements.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/29/2010 7:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys! Will be checking out:

1) Mirror's Edge - recommended by too many people. Must-check.

2) You Are Empty - ditto. Besides, as an ex-Soviet citizen, I'm extra curious.

3) Breakdown - yeeaaah, sounds like my kind of game. Innovative, artistic, and half-broken. I always defend such games, stubbornly ignoring their flaws :)

4) Brothers in Arms - I have to play a WWII shooter. Let this be my first one.