Description official descriptions
IL-2 Sturmovik is a Russian-developed World War II flight sim that takes place in the Eastern Front of the European theater. You can fly as the Soviets or Germans. In addition to familiar combat-flight sim elements such as campaign and single mission options and a host of flyable aircraft for each country, this title adds the ability to turn the flying over to AI and lets you control the rear gunner. The difficulty (i.e. realism) of the controls is customizable, so you can play IL-2 as a realistic sim or as an arcade shooter.
- Ил-2 Штурмовик - Russian spelling
- 暴風雪 - Traditional Chinese spelling
Credits (Windows version)
159 People (74 developers, 85 thanks) · View all
|Head of 1C:Maddox Games|
|Head of Games Development Division (1C Company)|
|3D Designer and Programmer|
|Programmer and Sound Engineer|
|Lead Tester, Designer of training missions|
|[ full credits ]|
Average score: 88% (based on 21 ratings)
Average score: 4.0 out of 5 (based on 29 ratings with 1 reviews)
First of all lets talk about the graphics, The game looks stunning and its already 3 years old! There are plenty of missions to do, From dogfighting, Tank busting, Ship bombing. There's also a mission builder so if you get sick of doing the internal missions, you can make your own, Also the realism is also intensive, While dogfighting you can get your plane blown to bits, Fuel leaks!, Flight controls damaged, Engine fires, Its mad!
The one thing i love about this game, Is the cooperative mode, I play this game at LAN gaming session i goto every so often, Its simply that fun. There are also plenty of expansion packs for this game, check out Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion, And the new Pacific Fighters which are all brilliant.
There's a few things which i didn't like about this game, and they are:
1) The game has the tendency to lag a bit during multiplayer, Especially in deathmatch levels (None of the patches I've tried have stopped this)
2) You will need a joystick for this game, Its almost impossible to play with a keyboard (you will stall the plane every time).
3) Can sometimes be frustrating when you have to wait 10 min's because you die at the start of a multiplayer mission.
The Bottom Line
You will get hours of entertainment from this game, I would recommend buying the expansions packs, They are really good.
Windows · by Alkali (8) · 2004
1001 Video Games
IL-2 Sturmovik appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2002 (Issue #213) – Simulation Game of the Year
- 2001 – PC Sim Game of the Year
- 2011 – #17 Top PC Game of the 2000s
Related Sites +
- MobyGames ID: 5410
Are you familiar with this game? Help document and preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by Kurt Sample.
Game added November 27th, 2001. Last modified June 3rd, 2023.