Description official descriptions
Battlefield 1942 is a massive online multiplayer shooter roughly based on World War II, but with emphasis on balance and fun. Join armed forces of United States, United Kingdom, Japan, Germany or Russia, and battle up to 63 of your friends online. Have access to up to twenty different authentic weapons. Control any of the 30+ vehicles over land, on water, or in air. Combat takes place in four theatres; South Pacific, North Africa, and Eastern and Western Europe. Have epic battles with up to 64 players on the same map, or hone your skills in single-player mode against AI bots.
- 战地1942 - Simplified Chinese spelling
- 戰地風雲1942 - Traditional Chinese spelling
- 3D Engine: Refractor 2
- Aircraft: A6M Zero
- Aircraft: Aichi D3A
- Aircraft: Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
- Aircraft: Ilyushin Il-2
- Aircraft: Junkers Ju 87
- Aircraft: Junkers Ju 88
- Aircraft: Messerschmitt Bf 109
- Aircraft: P-51 Mustang
- Aircraft: SBD Dauntless
- Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire
- Aircraft: Vought F4U Corsair
- Anti-Cheat Technology: PunkBuster
- Battlefield series
- EA Classics releases
- EA Most Wanted releases
- Middleware: Bink Video
- Setting: City - Volgograd / Stalingrad
See any errors or missing info for this game?
You can submit a correction, contribute trivia, add to a game group, add a related site or alternate title.
Credits (Windows version)
238 People (206 developers, 32 thanks) · View all
|[ full credits ]|
1001 Video Games
Battlefield 1942 appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Cancelled Xbox version
An Xbox version of Battlefield 1942 was planned, and was also going to support the Xbox Live feature. On January 15, 2003, EA declared that the game was cancelled. The official reason was that they wanted the developers to be able to focus on the expansion Battlefield 1942: The Road to Rome instead. However, people speculated that the real reason was that EA felt they couldn't make any big money with a relationship with Microsoft.
- 2002 – Best PC Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2002 – #8 Best PC Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- Computer Games Magazine
- March 2003 (Issue #148) - Co-Winner of of the 2002 Game of the Year Award
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2003 (Issue #225) - Multiplayer Game of the Year 2002
February 2006 (Issue #259) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- 2002 – Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2002 – PC Action Game of the Year (Readers' Choice)
- 2002 – Best Two-Song Soundtrack (PC)
- 2003 - Best Mod of the Year (for Desert Combat)
- 2011 – #15 Top PC Game of the 2000s
- February 13, 2003 - Best Multiplayer Game in 2003 (Reader's Voting)
Golden Joystick Award
- 2003 - Online Game of the Year 2002
- March 2003 - Best Game of the Year 2002
- March 2003 - Best Multiplayer Game of the Year 2002
- April 2005 - #9 in the 50 Best Games of All Time list
Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland (Entertainment Software Association Germany)
- 2002 - Gold-Award for selling more then 100,000 (but less then 200,000) units in Germany, Austria and Switzerland
Information also contributed by PCGamer77, piltdown man and Xoleras.
Related Sites +
Something Awful review
A humorous review on Something Awful
- MobyGames ID: 7213
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by JPaterson.
Additional contributors: Unicorn Lynx, Grov, Corn Popper, Paulus18950, Patrick Bregger, FatherJack.
Last modified February 22nd, 2023.