DescriptionPole Position is a Formula 1 racing game. Enter the Grand Prix, race against other racing cars to achieve the highest score possible in the shortest amount of time.
Before the player can enter the Grand Prix, the player must first qualify by competing in the Qualifying Lap within 73 seconds or less. If the player however, does not qualify in the Qualifying Lap, the player may continue to race until the Race Timer runs after 90 seconds. The player will score 50 point per 5 meters and additionally 50 points for every racing car passed. When the time runs out - Game Over. The player will have to restart the Qualifying Lap.
Qualifying will enable the player to start in one of the eight available positions. The faster the lap time was, the better the starting position in addition to bonus score points. The number one starting position, is the Pole Position.
During the Grand Prix, the player will compete against the Race Timer as well as against other racing cars. If the player fails to beat the Race Timer in any lap, the player drops out of the race - Game Over. Completing the race by reaching finishing line will grant the player 200 points per each second left on the Race Timer, bonus score for distance covered, and passing bonus points.
- Every 5 meters driven: 50 points
- Passing Car Bonus: 50 points per racing car
- Time Bonus: 200 points per second left on the Race Timer
- Pole Position - Lap Time: 58"50 seconds - 4,000 points
- 2nd Position - Lap Time: 60"00 seconds - 2,000 points
- 3rd Position - Lap Time: 62"00 seconds - 1,400 points
- 4th Position - Lap Time: 64"00 seconds - 1,000 points
- 5th Position - Lap Time: 66"00 seconds - 800 points
- 6th Position - Lap Time: 68"00 seconds - 600 points
- 7th Position - Lap Time: 70"00 seconds - 400 points
- 8th Position - Lap Time: 73"00 seconds - 200 points
There are no promo images for this game
Part of the Following Groups
- Formula 1 racing games
- Games referenced in movies
- Pole Position series
- Video games turned into board / card games
There are no reviews for the Atari 2600 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|TeleMatch||Sep, 1983||1 out of 6||100|
|Game Freaks 365||2002||9.5 out of 10||95|
|The Atari Times||Aug 04, 2003||90 out of 100||90|
|The Video Game Critic||Dec 11, 2002||B+||83|
|neXGam||Jan 31, 2017||8.1 out of 10||81|
|All Game Guide||1998||80|
|Atari HQ||2001||8 out of 10||80|
|Woodgrain Wonderland||Sep 27, 2017||B||75|
|Electronic Fun with Computers & Games||Dec, 1983||2 out of 4||50|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CartoonPole Position was popular enough to have a Saturday morning TV cartoon based on it in the early 1980s.
References to the game
- The game is referenced in the movie The Goonies. When the kids discover One-Eyed Willies' treasure map, Chunk (Jeff Cohen) notices the date, 1632, and asks if it was a year. At that point, Mouth (Corey Feldman) tells him, "No, it's your top score in Pole Position".
- Pole Position is briefly featured in the 1984 Swedish comedy film Jönssonligan får guldfeber (The Jönsson Gang Gets Gold Fever) along with another classic, Video Olympics. At the beginning of the movie, the game is played on a pocket TV. Later it is mistaken for Sweden's "general plan" chip and can be seen running on what appears to be a Casio FP-1000/1100 personal computer.
- Happy Computer
- Issue 04/1985 - #10 Best Game in 1984 (Readers' Vote) (Commodore 64 and Atari versions)
- Issue 04/1984 - Video Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 04/1984 - #2 Computer Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 04/1984 - Arcade Game of the Year 1983 (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- Abandonia (for DOS: downloadable releases; additional material)
- AtariAge (Atari 2600) (for Atari 2600: downloadable ROM; scans; manuals; additional material)
- AtariAge (Atari 5200) (for Atari 5200: downloadable ROM; scans; manuals; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 2600) (for Atari 2600: database; downloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 5200) (for Atari 5200: database; downloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- AtariMania (Atari 8-bit) (for Atari 8-bit: database; downloadable releases; artwork; additional material)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (Atarisoft, BBC Micro) (For BBC Micro, Cassette: exhibit reference ID CH4532; additional material.)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (DataSoft, C64) (For Commodore 64, Cassette: exhibit reference ID CH11621; additional material.)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (Namco, Atari 2600) (For Atari 2600, Cartridge: exhibit reference ID CH354; additional material.)
- Cambridge Centre for Computing History (Namco, ZX Spectrum) (For ZX Spectrum, Cassette: exhibit reference ID CH11075; additional material.)
- Commodore 64 Boxed Sets (For C64: game packaging digitalisations. Include box, manual, brochure, additional material.)
- DJ Oldgames (for different platforms: downloadable releases; additional material)
- DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS (Compatibility information page about the original game and its DOSBox versions. )
- Game Base 64 (for C64: Downloadable links, Database, Music, Emulation, Frontends, Reviews and Articles)
- Internet Archive (for ZX Spectrum: downloadable release; online emulation of game; additional material)
- Kio's home (For ZX Spectrum: additional material including – photographed cassette inlay; snapshots; downloadable releases.)
- Lemon 64 (for C64: games, reviews and music)
- My Abandonware (for DOS and C64: downloadable releases; online versions; additional material)
- Replacementdocs (Atari 5200, Manual) (Documentation for Atari 5200.)
- The BBC Games Archive (for BBC Micro: downloadable release; additional material)
- The International Arcade Museum (extensive information about the arcade game machine)
- The Tipshop (For ZX Spectrum/SAM: a central archive for all Spectrum and SAM games hints, tips, cheats, maps, hacks and pokes. )
- Wikipedia (combined platform entry)
- World of Spectrum (for ZX Spectrum: downloadable releases; additional material; player reviews; magazine references; magazine adverts)
- ZX Spectrum Reviews (For ZX Spectrum: magazine game reviews in HTML.)