🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers > The game gets stuck at day 5

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 3/27/2016 9:50 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm playing the DOS version. In the morning on day 5, after Gabriel receives the package from Grace, the game gets stuck: the shield icon is visible all the time and I can't access any icon except the "?" and the game menu. OK, I haven't tried waiting, say, five minutes, but it's definitely much longer than when the shield icon normally appears when waiting for something to happen/end. Is there a chance of circumventing it if I play day 4 in a different order?

Rwolf (22827) on 3/27/2016 11:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

If this is the original version, there is a mention of a Day5 lockup due to PC speed being too fast for the game.

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/GabrielKnight/GK1Help.html

(I also recall having issues with the original floppy version due to bad media, but I got that fixed at my store.)

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 3/27/2016 4:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Thanks. Actually, I thought twice and started looking for a solution myself... However, in case someone else stumbles upon this problem, my piece of advice... D-Fend users don't need a slowdown program, it can be done from D-Fend itself. However it's necessary to slow down A LOT.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/27/2016 7:14 PM · Permalink · Report

So cool that there is someone playing this game. :) Hope you don't get stuck no more. It is the cd version, right? With the marvelous Tim Curry voice acting?

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 3/28/2016 12:43 PM · Permalink · Report

No, the first version. And I actually don't really like voice acting. I don't know why - I tolerate it in children's games which are usually speech-only - but I just prefer reading, acting kinda distracts me...

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/28/2016 1:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

But, but... Tim Curry.... the most astonishing performance ever...

No other Gabriel has come close. The way he says: "What can you tell me about voodoo?" as a sleazy come-on line no matter who you ask... it's magnificent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mip_ztjs5sk

chirinea (47495) on 3/28/2016 5:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm with Josh on this one. The only thing that sucks in the talkie version is the narrator, but I guess you get used to listening her voice after a while.

Nowhere Girl (8680) on 4/28/2016 3:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Btw, I'm having this problem again. This time I just can't get the game to "unblock" at this point, despite having reduced speed to 1%. The game just doesn't get out of the "waiting mode" after Gabriel receives the package. Earlier it worked and now it doesn't...

EDIT: OK, it's fine again, this time it moved on.