DescriptionAlthough called Battlefield 2, this is the first of the Battlefield series to pass over to console. Vehicles like the Humvees, tanks, APCs and helicopters all make it into the game although fixed wing aircraft are noticeable absent.
Multiplayer allows up to 24 players battle it out in a Conquest mode where you capture flags and maintain control of them until the enemy tickers run down, or Capture the Flag which is all out attack to get the enemy flag back to your own base. A single player campaign, which is story led, see's China and USA go up against each other in Kazakhstan. Throughout the single player campaign you switch between China and USA armies as you follow orders based on news reports which show both sides of the war giving you a view of how war is and how it's reported. The new Hot Swap feature allows you to jump into almost any other allied troop on the battlefield which saves loads of running and gets you into the best position for your next attack or defense.
There are no PlayStation 2 user screenshots for this game.
There are 23 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "战地2：现代战争" -- Simplified Chinese spelling
- "BF2:MC" -- Common abbreviation
Part of the Following Groups
- Aircraft: Eurocopter Tiger
- Battlefield series
- Middleware: Kynapse
- Middleware: RenderWare
- PlayStation 2 Greatest Hits releases
- PlayStation 2 Platinum Range releases
- Tank: M1 Abrams
- Xbox 360 Platinum Hits releases
There are no reviews for the PlayStation 2 release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|Game Revolution||Nov 09, 2005||B+||83|
|JustPressPlay||Dec 13, 2005||8.2 out of 10||82|
|Game Freaks 365||2005||8 out of 10||80|
|Cheat Code Central||2005||4 out of 5||80|
|Fragland.net||Mar 08, 2006||74.8 out of 100||75|
|GameSpot||Oct 26, 2005||7.3 out of 10||73|
|GamePro (US)||Oct 25, 2005||3.5 out of 5||70|
|GameSpy||Nov 01, 2005||70|
|Gamekult||Nov 23, 2005||7 out of 10||70|
|Imperium Gier||Jan 04, 2006||6.5 out of 10||65|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DevelopmentBattlefield 2: Modern Combat is two games on one disc. The multiplayer game was made by DICE Stockholm whilst the single player was made by EAUK North West studios and designed at EAUK Chertsey. The game was then combined into the single players front end system. The change over can be seen when going into multiplayer in the form of a black screen with the word LOADING in the top left hand corner as the game changes renderer.
Electronic Arts logoBattlefield 2 Modern Combat was the first title to use the new EA logo in place of the obsolete EA Games logo.
IntroThe entire intro for the PS2 and Xbox versions were recorded using only 8 players (Barrie Tingle, Alan Dale, Mati Rehman, Richard Kansley, Barry Wallis, Dominic Pitcher, Colin Pratt, Johan Östman) and was not taken from a multiplayer game as it claims to be.
Due to re-recording of some scenes, it contains a few inconsistent scenes:
- When the MEC Engineer shoots at the DPV there is no vehicle when the rocket hits. This originally started as a sniper shooting the land mine seen in the previous scene. However Sniper shots didn't have the same dramatic impact as a rocket.
- The MEC Engineer on the tower changes to a US Sniper as he jumps off the tower.
Release delayAlthough first developed as a multiplayer-only game and slated for a Fall 2004 release, Electronic Arts delayed the game a full year to add a singleplayer mode in response to consumer feedback.
Information also contributed by Sciere.
Related Web Sites
- Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (Publisher's website)
- Wikipedia: Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (article in the open encyclopedia about the game)
- X360A achievement guide for Battlefield 2: Modern Combat (X360A's achievement guide for Battlefield 2: Modern Combat.)
Credits (486 people)
477 developers, 9 thanks