🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver > What if..

Donatello (466) on 1/26/2009 5:57 PM · Permalink · Report

the game would've had a different ending, such as Crystal Dynamics originally planned?

I must admit, although I'm a big fan of this game and it's without a doubt THE game for me, I'm still saddened by the fact that they changed the storyline. The planned culmination in Kain's mountain retreat and the final deed atop Silenced Cathedral would've been absolutely epic.

Thank god there's a sound clip for it, so I can picture it in my head. :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 1/27/2009 2:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't know, the one thing I missed out was a proper battle with Turel (the one in Defiance just didn't feel so right), and very especially the "possession" power --that would've been SO cool; how come no game since Requiem had that one?

Anyway, like I said, I did miss those things, but storytelling-wise I think the series is much better as it is now; what with Kain finally becoming an ally (the confrontation in Defiance is one of the top-3 best moment in gaming's history) and the whole "full circle" thing, merging the Soul Reaver mythology with the original Blood Omen and whatnot. The original story was too straightforward for my taste.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/27/2009 7:26 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

This whole thread had me thinking that I have completely forgotten the finer details of Kain saga. Time for replay has come, I guess.

Donatello (466) on 1/27/2009 1:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]The original story was too straightforward for my taste. [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]

I think they should've done like Blood Omen 1: two endings, one being canon (which leads to SR2) and other non-canon (as they originally planned).

Indra was here (20755) on 1/27/2009 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--] I think they should've done like Blood Omen 1... [/Q --end Donatello wrote--] Were any of the sequels better/on par with the first? Played Deviance...made me throw up. Ugh.

Slug Camargo (583) on 1/28/2009 2:20 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start Donatello wrote--] I think they should've done like Blood Omen 1... [/Q2 --end Donatello wrote--] Were any of the sequels better/on par with the first? Played Deviance...made me throw up. Ugh. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] Soul Reaver 2 probably has the best dialogues in all the sequels, but frankly the storyline in the first Blood Omen was quite unique, what with all those conspiracies and twists and whatnot. I do like what Amy Hennig did and I consider her a genius, but still, she never reached the level of the first one.

Also, you're quite the pussy with pretty much every third person perspective game, so you'll throw up with any of them anyway =P

chirinea (47495) on 1/28/2009 2:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start Donatello wrote--] I think they should've done like Blood Omen 1... [/Q2 --end Donatello wrote--] Were any of the sequels better/on par with the first? Played Deviance...made me throw up. Ugh. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] Defiance is a blast to play (well, except for the annoying camera).

Indra was here (20755) on 1/28/2009 8:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] Defiance is a blast to play (well, except for the annoying camera). [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] The reason why it made me throw up. Darn game was too bloody easy to be enjoyable. Thought I was playing a puzzle game :p

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 1/27/2009 2:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--]I don't know, the one thing I missed out was a proper battle with Turel (the one in Defiance just didn't feel so right), and very especially the "possession" power --that would've been SO cool; how come no game since Requiem had that one? [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--] There are similar abilities in Psi Ops and Possibly Second Sight. I think I'm having a déjà vu...

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/27/2009 10:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q2 --start Schadenfreude wrote--] -that would've been SO cool; how come no game since Requiem had that one? [/Q2 --end Schadenfreude wrote--]

Have you played Messiah? That was a key-feature there. It's not technically a FPS, but plays like one. Also soul changing was in Omikron.

[Q --start Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--] I think I'm having a déjà vu... [/Q --end Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--]

Huh?

Slug Camargo (583) on 1/28/2009 2:30 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q2 --start Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--] There are similar abilities in Psi Ops and Possibly Second Sight. [/Q2 --end Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--] I don't remember that in Second Sight but it might be my memory. In any case, I should've probably made clear I meant good games =P

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--] Have you played Messiah? That was a key-feature there. It's not technically a FPS, but plays like one. Also soul changing was in Omikron. [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] Nope, never played Messiah. And while Omikron did do that, it wasn't as useful -and fun- a feature as in Requiem. Mowing down enemies from within their own lines and then switching back and watching all the chaos from afar never got old =D

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 1/28/2009 10:37 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Schadenfreude wrote--] I don't remember that in Second Sight but it might be my memory. In any case, I should've probably made clear I meant good games =P [/Q --end Schadenfreude wrote--]

Psi Ops was pretty good imo. I thought that in Second Sight might there might be a similar ability, but I'm not sure, because I could never get past that first terrible stealth level.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 1/28/2009 10:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--] [Q3 --start Schadenfreude wrote--] -that would've been SO cool; how come no game since Requiem had that one? [/Q3 --end Schadenfreude wrote--]

Have you played Messiah? That was a key-feature there. It's not technically a FPS, but plays like one. Also soul changing was in Omikron. [Q2 --start Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--] I think I'm having a déjà vu... [/Q2 --end Supernintendo Chalmers wrote--]

Huh? [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

I guess I'm not the only one.