Not an American user?
DescriptionWizardry 8 is a direct sequel to Crusaders of the Dark Savant, the previous installment of the Wizardry series. All hell breaks loose as The Dark Savant takes flight with a device called the Astral Dominae, an incredibly powerful artifact containing the secret of life itself. Following him are two powerful races, the T'Rang and the Umpani, as well as the player's own brave party of adventurers. Everyone is heading to Dominus, a world on the cusp of the Cosmic Circle, birthplace of the Astral Dominae and home of the Cosmic Lords. Many paths will converge on Dominus, and many long-hidden secrets will be revealed.
The basic gameplay system is similar to the previous entries in the series: the player-controlled party of up to six characters roams the world viewed from a first-person perspective, completes quests and fights enemies to gain experience and become stronger. Unlike those, however, Wizardry 8 has a real 3D environment, where enemies visibly approach the party (rather than appearing randomly). The party is also able to move during combat, sometimes using terrain to its advantage. Character formation plays a role, the player being able to use tactical setups for the party in order to be better prepared for upcoming fights. Though still turn-based, the battles are more flowing than in the earlier games, since the characters act depending on their personal statistics rather than being confined by rounds.
The eleven races from the two previous games return, encompassing traditional fantasy RPG representatives such as elves and dwarves, as well as the more exotic rawulfs, felpurrs and mooks. A new character class, the Gadgeteer, has been added to the other fourteen imported from the previous games. The player can customize the statistics of these characters as he sees fit during the party creation phase. It is also possible to add personality traits to each of the characters. These do not affect the gameplay, but provide commentaries from the party members during conversations with the NPCs. A skill system is used for all the character types, ranging from weapon and magical proficiencies to pickpocketing and communication. Skills, as well as main attributes, can be manually developed by the player when the character levels up, but they also increase with repeated use.
Similarly to its predecessor, Wizardry 8 has several beginnings depending whether the player has imported a party from Crusaders of the Dark Savant or not, and which faction that party was allied with in the previous game. The game also has three different endings, which are achieved by making choices before the final confrontation.
- "巫術8" -- Chinese spelling (Traditional)
- "巫术8" -- Chinese spelling (Simplified)
- "Wushu 8" -- Chinese title
- "Wizardry 8: Возвращение легенды" -- Russian spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Fantasy Creatures: Dwarves
- Fantasy Creatures: Elves
- Gameplay feature: Auto-mapping
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Repetition
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill distribution
- Gameplay feature: Importable characters
- Wizardry games
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Mar, 2002||100|
|GameSpot||Nov 30, 2001||9.1 out of 10||91|
|Just RPG||Aug 03, 2002||A-||91|
|GamingIllustrated.com||Jan 13, 2002||90 out of 100||90|
|Absolute Games (AG.ru)||Oct 17, 2001||90 out of 100||90|
|GameSpy||Dec, 2001||88 out of 100||88|
|PC Games (Germany)||Jan 07, 2002||85 out of 100||85|
|Stratos Group||Apr 20, 2002||4 out of 5||80|
|Gameplanet||Jul 29, 2002||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Bored...||19||The Fabulous King (1335)
Sep 05, 2013
|Samurai, Valkyrie, and Bishop Walk Into Bar||2||The Fabulous King (1335)
Oct 18, 2008
DistributionThe developers of Wizardry 8 had a really tough time finding a North American publisher for the game. Eventually a deal was worked out with Electronics Boutique to get the game distributed exclusively (or near enough) in it's stores.
In-game advertisementSirTech must have known that many players would experience "slow downs" caused by frame rate problems.
Each time you select Exit, an advertisement screen appears with the words "This is No Time for a Slow PC". The ad is for Falcon Northwest, a PC builder, with their phone number and web address.
- Computer Gaming World
- April 2002 (Issue #213) – Role-Playing Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Wizardry 8 (official website)
- Guiler's Walkthrough (Solution for Wizardry 8)
- Hints for Wizardry 8 (Question and Answer type hints to help you create your party, figure out strategies, find items and complete the quests.)
- The Ironworks (Wizardry 8 resource site includes news, cheats, hints and tips, forum and downloads.)
- Wizardry8.com (Official Game Page)
- WIZARDRY 8 GUIDE @ MM-World.com (german) (This is a good german fansite from an experienced roleplayer (he hosts many other rpg fanstuff/tutorials etc.). Also an active forum with many users.)
- Wizardry 8 Maps and Walkthroughs (An excellent resource site for Wizardry 8)
- Wizardry Realms (A great resource site for Wizardry 8 as well as Wizardry 7.)
OnlyBlue (73) added Wizardry 8 (Windows) on Jan 04, 2002
Other platforms contributed by Sciere (636822)
Credits (239 people)
231 developers, 8 thanks
Everyone on the project!Lead Engineer: