🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Most overrated game

Shazbut (163) on 2/21/2006 1:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Ever had a game that everybody seems to love but that you can't stand?

The only one that springs to mind for me is "Escape From Monkey Island". Although I notice on the site that I'm far from alone in my disappointment, it wasn't the move to 3D or the sometimes obscure puzzles or the washed out backgrounds that I had much of a problem with. It was the fact that it was written for infants. That the developers, or the producers, or someone, thought that the word "hell" would be too offensive and thus changed all instances of it in the script to "heck", epitomizes the crushing steel cage of caution surrounding the entire product, and caution never ever leads to humour, unless that "heck" thing was supposed to be a running joke, in which case I wasn't laughing. EFMI got universally high reviews on it's release. I would have given it 50/100 at best

I was wrong about "The Curse of Monkey Island" though. A little. But I was 15 when I wrote that review.

Anyway, how about your thoughts. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/21/2006 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Most overrated game? "Grand Theft Auto III", of course. Please don't argue with me about this one, guys: I'm tired from this, and I wrote everything in my review anyway.

Second most overrated game is undoubtedly "Myst". Guess there is no need to explain why, as there seem to be more people who understand that.

"Doom" comes as next. Also, I beg you not to attack me without reading my review before.

FPS is generally the most overrated genre, if I had to choose one.

Other overrated stuff: Diablo series, King's Quest series, Grandia series, "Beneath a Steel Sky", "Skies of Arcadia"... and I never played "Half-Life", but I have a strong suspicion this one belongs into the list as well.

Trixter (8952) on 2/21/2006 6:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Half-Life does not belong in that list. Half-Life was pioneering in terms of story-driven gameplay (inspired by SiN).

But I see your point regarding the others.

My vote? Sims. Never understood why people spend entire chunks of their life playing it.

monkeyislandgirl (8627) on 2/21/2006 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Most overrated game? "Grand Theft Auto III", of course. Please don't argue with me about this one, guys: I'm tired from this, and I wrote everything in my review anyway. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

I TOTALLY agree w/ya. I don't wanna get flamed but I really don't like that series altogether. I watched some friends playing that game...shooting random ppl on the streets (in the game that is..) and getting "down" with a "street-walker" then beating her up and taking her cash...

How can we stoop so low?

Ahh well that's IMO anyway.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/22/2006 2:57 AM · Permalink · Report

A lot of people play games so that they can do in them what they cannot do in real life. Like shooting random people and beating up whores. Now, the moment a game allows them to do that, they get excited and call that "freedom of gameplay". What kind of freedom is that if you can ONLY do that? You can't be nice to people in GTA III. You can't decide yourself what to do on your missions. There is no interaction with the world and nothing else beside a few gimmicks. Does someone actually remember that in Ultima VII you could sleep with whores too? And kill them? And kill random people on the streets? You could do all that. But you could also be a good person and help people. THIS is freedom of choice. And, there was a really huge world with interaction, NPCs, conversations, party members, books, items... of which GTA III has none.

Arrrrrgh, I can't stand GTA III and the cult following it created. This is one of the most unfair things that ever happened to the industry.

Okay, I'll stop, I'll stop :)

Sciere (930490) on 2/22/2006 5:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Grand Theft Auto (III) introduced very addictive gameplay with an impressive amount of freedom and choices. I don't play many other games in that genre, but I bought San Andreas right away, and I haven't been disappointed. Black & White, on the other hand, was my biggest mistake. I had high expectations, but hated it right away while playing as it's nothing but a concept. Awful!

monkeyislandgirl (8627) on 2/23/2006 4:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Well said. And I'm just glad someone else agreese w/me on this one lol

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/21/2006 2:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Beyond Good and Evil come to mind. It's not completely bad, but I don't see why everyone is getting so exited about it. I know a lot of people here like that game, so could anybody please explain to me what's supposed to be so innovative about it?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/21/2006 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I understand why you don't like it. It's really a matter of taste. "Beyond Good and Evil" is typical French art: charming, but not deep. So I understand why a person can be irritated by this game's obvious lack of deep content. As for myself, from time to time I need diversion from more serious games, and for this purpose it serves well. I had great fun with it, and it still charms me, but of course I wouldn't put it in any Top Ten list or whatever.

Compare it to a sexy, yet vain girl, whom all the men like, even though there are more interesting women around :))

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/21/2006 3:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I can understand why people like it, it isn't a terrible game. I was just surprised to see it getting 90%+ ratings from so many mags and websites. It has an unusual setting, unusual story and a certain charm. It's very good technically and gameplay is decent for the most part (though there are some problems that I have mentioned in my review). One thing that bothers me though, is that so many people got so excited about it and seem to think that it's something special or innovative. Again, it's not downright bad, but as far as game-design is concerned, it's not very impressive (read: boring and uninspired).

Aaron A. (39) on 2/21/2006 2:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I keep thinking Empire Earth II, Counter-Strike, and Guild Wars...

Edit: Oh, and also, I don't know how Call of Duty 2 got such a good rating. Personal opinion anyway.

nullnullnull (1463) on 2/21/2006 8:01 PM · Permalink · Report

The Matrix games. They completely blow. The new King Kong game on the 360 sucks too.

Maw (832) on 2/22/2006 12:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Starcraft. I have no idea why everyone loves it, it's just Warcraft II with a slightly improved GUI and better graphics. Sure you could argue that it refines rather than innovates, except it doesn't really refine either. Basically it comes down to "build a base, pump out a billion zerglings/tanks/whatever, kill the other guy before he does the same to you" the same stuff Warcraft II was about three whole years previously. It's a total micro-fest where the guy who can click the mouse fastest wins. Strategy my foot. :S

Warcraft III is pretty much the same, except Blizzard tries to incorporate a few cheap RPG elements like inventories, hero classes, etc. Plus there's an atrocious build limit so "battles" consist of about 10-15 units per side whamming each other. Still, multiplayer is pretty fun with Bnet support, and it comes with good multiplayer maps out of the box, so that's one thing they did right I guess.

If you ask me Warcraft II was and still is the high point of Blizzard's real-time strategy games. Starcraft and Warcraft III are IMO way overrated.

Anonymous Gamer (161) on 2/23/2006 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Pathogen,

D'oh! You beat me to it. I have to agree that Starcraft is one of the games I would say is overrated. That isn't to say it's a terrible game, or even a bad one. I just felt the game brought nothing exceptionally new to the mix.

Perhaps, I'm a bit biased, being a big fan of Total Annihilation. I remember back in the day when game sites like C|Net gamecenter (now Gamespot) would have games go head-to-head, and Starcraft was voted the superior game against Total Annihilation. Boo =^o

Still, of the ones mentioned thus far I definitely have to go with Myst, Black & White, and Starcraft.

I will add one more to the list. Rome: Total War. I remember the build up to this games release. I was salivating as I pictured the best game ever released. However, once I played the game a few times through I began to feel disappointed in the final outcome. The strategic map aspect of the game was not as thoroughly fleshed out as I imagined.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 2/23/2006 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Fallout...definitely The Most Overrated RPG ever created.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/23/2006 11:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Why do you think it is overrated?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 2/23/2006 3:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I said it mostly as a protest against that Fallout-is-the-messiah-of-RPGs kind of attitude which can be found almost everywhere a la "This game is not an RPG , where is Fallout when you need him" or "Fallout, why hast thou abandoned us". What was so SPECIAL about Fallout anyway. Well, beside the system....maybe the setting also(for mutants are not elves). Fallouts were also linear, the illusion of non-linearity came from a weak narrative. Looking at the year (1997) when Fallout came out, it was already possible to do a game with a strong narrative and strong story. Fallout 2 was a theme park, the sense of non-linearity came from side-quests which had usually 3 choices. In Fallout 1 most of the time you stumbled around, and suddenly the game ended. I found that Master guy when I played the game through 4th time. Dialogue was boring also. Fallout had some interesting ideas, but he is not the Messiah.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/23/2006 4:16 PM · Permalink · Report

That's interesting, I never looked at it from this point of view. I think it's a great game, but the way you put it, I can see your point as well.

Just like with any kind of art, there are no definite criteria for measuring a game's value.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/25/2006 10:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh Me God! Starcraft, Rome:Total War and Fallout over-rated?

I think I'm gonna kill myself...aaaaaaah.

Nah, maybe tommorow.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/23/2006 2:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Castlevania SOTN. Now, before you get angry and tell me why I'm wrong, please let me explain: I like platformers and I like the Castlevania series. What I like even more is platformers with adventure/RPG elements, so SOTN seems to be the perfect game for me. Unfortunately it has two big problems that really ruin it. First of all, there are virtually no real platformer elements. You're just walking from one corridor to the next. Second of all, you're hopelessly overpowered. As long as you have enough MP or heart symbols (and I don't remember ever running out on any of those) normal enemies aren't more than cannonfodder. The boss-fights could be great, but again, you can beat almost all of them with a couple of spells or items. It's a shame, I really tried to like it, but it wouldn't let me.

Scott Monster (986) on 2/25/2006 1:56 AM · Permalink · Report

Duke Nukem(Nukum) 3d.

For some odd reason, DN3D always gave me a slight case of vertigo, unlike other FPS. It came out at the same time as Quake, which is IMHO a better game, but with less pixalated pigs in police uniforms.

Indra was here (20755) on 2/25/2006 10:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Over-rated:

1. Empire Earth
  2. Age of Empires 3
  3. Shadow of the Colossus
  4. My IQ level
  5. Warcraft III
  6. Stronghold II
  7. Quest for Glory 2 (subjective of course)
  8. Men's ability to withstand sexual urges...

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 2/26/2006 1:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Second that on Age of Empires III. I should have waited for the price to come down. Actually, anyone want to trade for it?

Luis Silva (13443) on 2/25/2006 11:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Two come to mind:

-All Championship Manager games pre-3. Other than a fantastic database, the game offers very little, and a lot of games (particularly from german devs) did a much better job in terms of presentation and gameplay.
-The whole RPG genre is way overrated, but that's to blame on my dislike for the genre. I never got that much into Fallout, and found all Final Fantasy games dreadfully boring.

monkeyislandgirl (8627) on 2/26/2006 3:57 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Luis Silva wrote--]Two come to mind:

-The whole RPG genre is way overrated, but that's to blame on my dislike for the genre. I never got that much into Fallout, and found all Final Fantasy games dreadfully boring.
[/Q --end Luis Silva wrote--]

Uh oh...Oleg's gonna have a fit!! lol j/ks

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/26/2006 5:32 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start monkeyislandgirl wrote--] [Q2 --start Luis Silva wrote--]Two come to mind:

[/Q2 --end Luis Silva wrote--]

Uh oh...Oleg's gonna have a fit!! lol j/ks [/Q --end monkeyislandgirl wrote--]

LOL, I still haven't recovered :-/

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/26/2006 5:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Luis Silva wrote--]found all Final Fantasy games dreadfully boring.
[/Q --end Luis Silva wrote--]

Tell me where you live so that I can come and kill you!! ;-)

Indra was here (20755) on 2/27/2006 12:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] [Q2 --start Luis Silva wrote--]found all Final Fantasy games dreadfully boring.
[/Q2 --end Luis Silva wrote--]

Tell me where you live so that I can come and kill you!! ;-) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Let me know the address too! Grrr.

Haha. Anyway, I do admit, RPGs are an acquired taste. Not many young gamers I know are that interested in RPGs as it seems to be reserved for most hardcore gamers.

I asked a fellow younger gamer his opinion about RPGs. He answered "A game with lots of dialogs". Somewhat an odd answer if your familiar with RPGs, but for someone not familiar with the genre, I do understand his viewpoint.

But throwing the ball, I'm against the brain-dead FPS genre. Hah!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/27/2006 12:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I back you up on that any time of the day. RPG against FPS! LOL it sounds like a political struggle. Republican Party of Geeks against the Federal Party of Suckers :)

Gonchi (3590) on 2/27/2006 12:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights, I could never find the appeal to either despite relenting to peer pressure and buying both collections to “really experience the games”.

I mean, yes, they’re good (actually no, Morrowind is OK, but NWN’s is terrible, and I don’t care if it was originally intended to be an online editor or whatever, it included an SP campaign and it reeked), but everyone around me considers them the be-all and end-all of gaming and I just can’t understand why when Fallout, Albion, Baldur’s Gate, PS:T, and half the games in the Ultima series were vastly superior in pretty much every regard, save maybe graphics which weren’t all that in either game anyway.

There are other games which I failed to see what made them so great. Diablo, Myst, KotOR...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/27/2006 12:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree with you about Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights. This one was a particular disappointment for me, because I'm a big, big fan of Bioware's RPGs.

Speaking of which... KotOR is overrated?! Why do you think so?

Indra was here (20755) on 2/27/2006 12:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I think Baldur's Gate was over-rated. Don't recall why but I didn't like it very much.

Anyone wants to know my address so they can kill me? :)

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 2/27/2006 12:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Second that on Baldur's Gate. The beginning is so dreadfullly dull!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 2/27/2006 2:48 PM · Permalink · Report

The beginning is awesome! You are a little scared child who has just lost his foster father and is being hunted by mysterious assassins for a mysterious reason... I got hooked on the game just because of this beginning!

Hey, Baldur's Gate is amazing. Try it again if for some reason you just played the beginning. It has a great story!

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 2/27/2006 3:34 PM · Permalink · Report

The beginning is ridiculous. For some reason, the village you've been raised in is shrouded in a fog of war. Once you're out of the city, it becomes a hunting game until you level up and can actually do something.

Honestly, BG is fine, but I didn't care for the setting. I might pick it up again to see if my feelings have changed.

Gonchi (3590) on 2/27/2006 9:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Speaking of which... KotOR is overrated?! Why do you think so? [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Well, there were several reasons, but besides it’s length (or lack thereof), KotOR oozes console port. Controls, combat, the interface, the dreaded mini-games... shrudder

Just overall (as I don't intend to write a review), I found the game very simplistic. Planets felt claustrophobic in their layout, lack of locations and exploration, with a large dose of NWN's “clear the area” feel.

The story was generic. The writing was childish and dialogue was a joke, where different choices result in the same response, or if you didn't like the outcome you could just redo them to your hearts content. Role-playing was also fairly inexistent, and so was non-linearity.

I didn't like the way party interaction was handled, and the fact that "followers" level up with you regardless of their inclusion in the party was plain cheese.

I like Adventure games, so I have no problem with Puzzles, but those thrown into the game have been so overused and don’t fit the setting or the goal that they just make you wonder why they were placed in the first place.

Little interaction with the game world, an underdeveloped crafting system, unbalanced weapons with a clear emphasis on melee over ranged, swords you can use to duel with lightsabres, swords for god's sake! I half expected to run into an elf... there were other minor qualms, like not being able to use force jump to avoid the acid pool for example, but I've already typed more than I intended.

I don't know, KotOR felt very RPG-lite to me, or even Action/Adventure-ish. It was fun, sure, but I have serious issues about classifying it as a cRPG, let alone the best of all time as many claim, or even the year (an award I feel it won only due to lack of competition).

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/27/2006 1:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Absolutely! Neverwinter Nights was very disappointing, although I'm not quite sure how Bioware managed to squeeze all the AD&D rules into the game and to eliminate all the fun at the same time. Morrowind is a very impressive game in many respects. It has loads of potential, but what good is that if you spend most of the time walking around through damp weather, fighting boring battles?

Anonymous Gamer (161) on 3/4/2006 7:26 AM · Permalink · Report

I feel I must step in here and defend Morrowind. While Morrowind is by far not perfect, I can't think of any other RPG that gives you as much freedom and modability that it does.

I haven't played Morrowind since I beat it about a year or two ago. I'd like to go back to it and pick it up again, like a good book. Try a different character this time around.

Still I can see why it might lose some people. It is rather grand and one can get lost in it. It's much like Derek Smart's Battlecruiser series, for every ten people who loathe it there's at least one person who adores the incredible depth built into the game. ('Course, I wonder if some people merely hate it because they just hate Derek Smart grin).

Neverwinter Nights disappointed me the first time around I beat it, no argument there, but there's something about that game that brings me back.I guess I just need a D&D fix from time to time.

<hr />

On a side note,

Inderanta of the Clan Depari, I see your exasperation that I listed Rome:Total War and Starcraft as over-rated, but take solace that I was amazed to find out that you think Quest for Glory II is overrated.

I'll stick to my guns on Starcraft, but I will say this, Rome: Total War is a little over-rated. I just don't find it as deep as it should have been. It's basically a big game of Risk with Romans. I love the RTS aspect of it but the strategic map should have been better, more fleshed out, and there should have been a multiplayer strategic game.

Just my two cents :)

Mike

D Michael (222) on 3/4/2006 8:12 PM · Permalink · Report

pacman

Shoddyan (15004) on 3/4/2006 8:51 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't want to say too much about Morrowind, because I really should write a review... but I've always considered it (the PC version anyway) a flawed masterpiece. There is a lot of depth and content in the game, but there's also a lot of mistakes in the gameplay and behind-the-scenes ruleset. Luckily, Morrowind is very open ended when it comes to mods, and finding the right player-made mods can pave over some of these imperfections... greatly increasing the flow and consistency of the game. I've only ever played it on PC, never the X-Box version.

Morrowind is a real gem, but when it comes out of the box it's slightly cracked and needs polishing. So is it overrated? Maybe... but a little hard work in searching for extras can close the gap between what could have been and what is.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/4/2006 9:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Michael Palomino wrote--]

Inderanta of the Clan Depari, I see your exasperation that I listed Rome:Total War and Starcraft as over-rated, but take solace that I was amazed to find out that you think Quest for Glory II is overrated.

I'll stick to my guns on Starcraft, but I will say this, Rome: Total War is a little over-rated. I just don't find it as deep as it should have been. It's basically a big game of Risk with Romans. I love the RTS aspect of it but the strategic map should have been better, more fleshed out, and there should have been a multiplayer strategic game.

[/Q --end Michael Palomino wrote--]

Yo Mike.

On Quest for Glory II, I admit I'm the only bloke that seems to dislike this game (I reviewed the game here on Mobygames, but I think I failed to point out some stuff why I didn't like it). I'm a big fan of Hero's Quest (I hate the name Quest for Glory), so I was expecting something like Hero's Quest...here's some of the reasons:

1. I imported my character from Hero's Quest. This made the game dang easy. What makes Hero's Quest a dang good game was character development. When you import a character from Hero's Quest to QFG II, your character has higher stats, which means you have don't have to develop your character as long (bummer) and monsters get incredibly easy. I didn't want to start with a new character since I would lose some spells in the process.

2. The Paladin class. Yikes, I hated this new introduction of the class. It seemed to be somewhat superior to the original 3 classes (Fighter, Thief, Mage). I either played a Thief or a Fighter...the introduction of the Paladin didn't sit well with me since its an extention of the Fighter class. If they made powerful classes for the Thief and Mage, now that would be something. FYI, I never played the Paladin class. Too goody-goody for me.

3. Mazes and Deserts. I have a problem about getting lost in games (since I played a lot of interactive fiction RPGs) so Mazes and Deserts don't sit well with me. Take away the deserts and you'll realize that QFG II is probably way smaller than Hero's Quest.

QFG 2 isn't just over-rated, it's also the worst of the series. (my favorites are 1 and 3). I miss Fenrus.

<hr />

For the love of me, I have no idea why you don't like Starcraft. That game has the best story/plot around for strategy games (plus incredible gameplay, compared to Warcraft..zag-zag). Yes, Warcraft III is over-rated! And terrible.

<hr />

I'll probably agree with you on Rome: Total War that the game is a "little" over-rated. I eventually had problems with the game, since I hate having my generals being born as idiots (bad character traits). But you have to admit, the real-time strategy (at least the first time around) was breath-taking...especially the sound of your troops whenever they move or take formation (although the Greeks and the Carthagnians sound like wusses). But I've played Total War since Shogun: Total War, so the game wasn't much about strategy but more about the real-time combat. Probably over-rated for RTS games, but totally worth it for a Total War fan. (Medieval Total War sucks though)

Sciere (930490) on 3/4/2006 10:02 PM · Permalink · Report

After trashtalking Shadow of the Colossus so badly in your review, you have a lot of making up to do.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/4/2006 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Dude, I've actually received some emails saying that they agreed with me. I've never been congratulated for making a bad review on game before. Don't know why you like that game so much.

Sciere (930490) on 3/4/2006 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Just kidding :)

Indra was here (20755) on 3/4/2006 11:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Let me kiss you dang it.

Smoooch

Luis Silva (13443) on 3/5/2006 5:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm also not too fond of QFG2, but for other reasons. It's a shame that the best fighting engine in the whole series is spoiled by the lack of fights (I've finished it with two or three encounters, taking out practice) and graphically it's also too bland when compared to the first. Desert desert desert plaza tunnels tunnels plaza shop plaza tunnels etc. It did grew a bit on me, 'to.

However, as far as badness go, QFG3 is unstoppable. Terrible fights, the overview map, that "OMG we can't decide between a savannah and egyptian setting so both go" feeling, bugs galore and lack of thievery options.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/5/2006 8:29 AM · Permalink · Report

But there is a love affair in QGF3 :-)

Don't know, I love all QFGs. Great series. They don't make 'em like this any more. And QFG4 is the best :-)

Luis Silva (13443) on 3/5/2006 8:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, by a long margin. Trying to play an unpatched version is hell, 'to. One could see all SCI2 error messages in a couple of days.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/6/2006 9:10 PM · Permalink · Report

I seemed to love QFG 3 a lot. Probably due to the graphics and a lot of funny easter eggs. The ending was #!@# though.

I was a little disturbed with QFG 4. Changing the atmosphere (graphics) is one thing, but it felt a little too lonely for the QFG style. BTW, I've heard there are additional combat moves if you play QFG 4 with a joystick. Is that true?

Luis Silva (13443) on 3/6/2006 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--]BTW, I've heard there are additional combat moves if you play QFG 4 with a joystick. Is that true? [/Q --end Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--]

I'll try that next time I boot the other computer. Nothing like a good excuse to return to Mordavia.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 3/14/2006 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--] QFG 2 isn't just over-rated, it's also the worst of the series. (my favorites are 1 and 3). I miss Fenrus. [/Q --end Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--] I guess you already know this, but just in case you don't. There's a Remake in the making that promises better combat and better to navigate alleys. Not sure if you'll be happy about some of the other changes, though.

Zovni (10504) on 3/5/2006 5:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Yay! I love flamebait threads! Anyway, my vote goes to Halo. Just consider that it is the flagship title of Microsoft's console effort, and every console gamer in the world thinks it's the greatest thing in the world while it's only an average been-there-done-that shooter for any pc gamer.

By the by, I actually liked some parts of Halo and merely said it was the most overrated because of the disparity in the hype/actual gameplay equation. It seems to me that a lot of you guys are including here just the stuff you hate for x or y reason. I mean... Beyond Good & Evil?? What ye be smoking guys?? Yeah, it got a lot of critical acclaim, but you can count on one hand the amount of copies it sold! If anything the game seems underrated to me.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 3/6/2006 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]I mean... Beyond Good & Evil?? What ye be smoking guys?? Yeah, it got a lot of critical acclaim, but you can count on one hand the amount of copies it sold! If anything the game seems underrated to me. [/Q --end Zovni wrote--] So... I guess that means it's overrated and still didn't sell, which is good in my book. Or can a game only be seen as overrated if it gets great ratings and sells well?

Zovni (10504) on 3/7/2006 12:43 AM · Permalink · Report

I would say. In any event the game is pretty good, dunno why it's getting so much flak here.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/7/2006 5:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Guess because it's too French... really it is...charming and all, but very superficial. I like it, though, it's fun.

Maw (832) on 3/7/2006 5:44 AM · Permalink · Report

[q]Yay! I love flamebait threads! Anyway, my vote goes to Halo. Just consider that it is the flagship title of Microsoft's console effort, and every console gamer in the world thinks it's the greatest thing in the world while it's only an average been-there-done-that shooter for any pc gamer.[/q]

Quoted for truth.

Zovni (10504) on 3/7/2006 12:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey! I wrote that !

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/7/2006 2:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Right! I never wrote that... what's the matter with the quote system? ;)

Indra was here (20755) on 3/8/2006 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Just finished Good and Evil. Must admit it is somewhat over-rated to my subjective opinion. Nice adventure game, but compared to other adventure games, it is somewhat "mediocre". Not enough plot und story. The ending was a major dissappointment...oh wait, there wasn't an ending...straight to credits.

Aaron A. (39) on 3/8/2006 2:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

When you press "Reply" and use the quote tags, it takes the person's name your replying to as the quote author.

And I liked Good and Evil overall, a few dull moments though.

Corn Popper (69027) on 3/8/2006 7:25 PM · Permalink · Report

ok, this is noted to fix

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/11/2006 1:42 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]my vote goes to Halo. Just consider that it is the flagship title of Microsoft's console effort, and every console gamer in the world thinks it's the greatest thing in the world while it's only an average been-there-done-that shooter for any pc gamer.[/Q --end Zovni wrote--]

Agreed wholeheartedly. Not only I think Halo is really crappy as a FPS gameplay-wise, it was sold to me by dozens and dozens of fanbois as a game with an incredibly complex and deep storyline, and what I found was utterly boring, uninteresting, predictable crap, and most of the plot seemed ripped off of several sci-fi classics anyway.
Those brightly-colored aliens that ran around waving their arms and yelping like children really ruined it for me.
I don't know, I threw it out the window the level after "the flood", so maybe I'm wrong here and the story really picks up later, but, to quote Old Man Murray "If a game can't manage to provide some thrills in the first hour, it gets a bad review. Developers have one goddamn job: entertain us. And we mean now, goddamnit, not in six hours."

And combining both bad aspects, the aforementioned "flood" level was especially bad for trying to rip off the tension atmosphere of movies such as Aliens or The Thing and coming up with something so laughable that it might as well star the Teletubbies.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/11/2006 4:12 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] If a game can't manage to provide some thrills in the first hour, it gets a bad review. Developers have one goddamn job: entertain us. And we mean now, goddamnit, not in six hours.[/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

I can't really agree with this... well, maybe it's true when applied to shooters. But when you play an RPG, you can't judge it after one hour of playing. An epic story cannot develop with too much speed and intensity. It takes time to get used to characters, game system, setting. I usually form my opinion about an RPG after at least 10-15 hours of playing, not before.

For example, I'm playing Xianjian Qixia Zhuan 3 Waizhuan: Wen Qing Pian now, and after 10 or so hours of playing I thought it was a boring and uninspired game. Then I decided to give it one more chance. And I saw how the story picked up and started developing... like missing pieces of a puzzle coming together. Now I'm eager to finish the game. What would happen if I discarded it too early?

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/11/2006 5:20 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] [Q2 --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Developers have one goddamn job: entertain us. And we mean now, goddamnit, not in six hours. [/Q2 --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

I can't really agree with this... well, maybe it's true when applied to shooters. But when you play an RPG, you can't judge it after one hour of playing. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

I think that's precisely the difference. They're two very different styles of games, and the timing they can afford to use for their storytellings is just as different.
It's like comparing, say, Dostoievski to any modern thriller, say one by John Katzenbach: with Dostoievski you know you might go through half the book before you get to the core of the whole story, and you know you will have to deal with some quite dry chapters before you can be entitled to judge the entire novel as there are too many things to take into account -as much as entire sub-novels within the main novel; whereas with Katzenbach you know what you're dealing with within the first 50 pages. If you liked it that far, you'll probably enjoy the book, if you didn't, it's not likely that it will get much different later.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/11/2006 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

You are right. Although I have no idea who Katzenbach is ;) Who the hell could have a family name that means "cat's stream"? ;-)

Zovni (10504) on 3/11/2006 5:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--] For example, I'm playing Xianjian Qixia Zhuan 3 Waizhuan: Wen Qing Pian now,Then I decided to give it one more chance. And I saw how the story picked up and started developing... like missing pieces of a puzzle coming together. Now I'm eager to finish the game. What would happen if I discarded it too early? [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

The same thing that happened with GTAIII ? :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/11/2006 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey, I got pretty far in GTA III ;) And even farther in Vice City, which is IMHO much better.