DescriptionHalf-Life 2: Episode One continues the story of Half-Life 2. It begins immediately after the end of this game, and follows Gordon Freeman (the player) and Alyx as they attempt to escape City 17 in the wake of the defeat of the Combine forces and the battle in the Citadel.
Gameplay and Gordon's weapon arsenal are identical to Half-Life 2. Enemies too are familiar, with only one new zombie variant. A notable gameplay feature is the behavior of Alyx, who fights along Gordon's side for virtually the entire game. While the player still provides most of the offensive firepower, Alyx does provide a beneficial presence, and is far from the typical cannon fodder AI.
The game has four to six hours of gameplay, and also features a "Commentary" mode, which enables hotspots on each map where the player can listen to developer commentary explaining how or why certain things were done.
- "戰慄時空2首部曲：浩劫重生" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "半条命2：第一部" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Half-Life 2: Aftermath" -- Working title
- "Bantiao Ming 2: Diyi Bu" -- Chinese title
- "하프라이프 2 에피소드 1" -- Korean spelling
- "ハーフライフ２ エピソード１" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
|The Games Machine (Italy)||Windows||Jun, 2006||93 out of 100||93|
|GameSpy||Windows||Jun 01, 2006||90|
|Eurogamer.net (UK)||Windows||Jun 01, 2006||9 out of 10||90|
|Gamers Globe||Windows||Nov 25, 2006||9 out of 10||90|
|Gamers.at||Windows||Jul 10, 2006||88 out of 100||88|
|GameStar (Germany)||Windows||Jul, 2006||84 out of 100||84|
|2404.org PC Gaming||Windows||Jun 11, 2006||8.1 out of 10||81|
|3DAvenue||Windows||Jun 11, 2006||80|
|Gamereactor (Sweden)||Windows||Jun 05, 2006||7 out of 10||70|
|Gaming since 198x||Windows||Dec 02, 2007||2 out of 5||40|
There are currently no topics for this game.
DogValve development commentary in the game mentions that players seemed to love Dog, so they made him the first thing the player sees at the start of the episode.
Dr. BreenApparently, some citizens enjoyed some of the Breencasts. In the game, one citizen can be heard saying to another; "I don't miss Dr. Breen, but I do miss his show. Remember when he had the jugglers on?". This is possibly a reference to the satirical webcomic Concerned (the author of Concerned, however, denies this, believing it to be something of a stretch and citing the absence of jugglers in his strip).
German versionThere are changes in some German versions of the game:
- All blood by humans (including German Freeman) and blood which is part of the level design was coloured green
- Almost all enemies instantly disappear after being killed. An exception are some dark parts were burning zombies are used as light source.
- The cries of burning zombies were toned down
- During the part were Alyx finds the first zombine, the corpse she refers to was removed
- Games for Windows: The Official Magazine
- March 2007 - #4 Game of the Year 2006
- 2006 – #9 Game of the Year
- 2006 – #3 PC Game of the Year
- 2006 – PC Action Game of the Year
- 2006 – PC Action Game of the Year (Gamers' Vote)
- 2006 – Best Graphics of the Year (PC)
- PC Powerplay (Germany)