DescriptionLove for Sail!
is the sixth game in Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry
series. Larry unexpectedly receives a ticket to a cruise ship. Upon the arrival of the passengers, a mega-contest is announced. This contest includes various kinds of sports and activities, from bowling to love-making. The winner will get to "score" with the sexy Captain Thigh. Naturally, there is no way Larry can win this contest fairly, so he must use his brains to solve the tricky puzzles of the game, and cheat his way into the Captain's bed.
The game's structure is similar to that of its predecessor
: the entire game takes place in a large enclosed area (in this case, the cruise ship), with the gameplay focusing on inventory-based puzzles and conversations. The game features a context-sensitive interface: clicking on an object brings forth a series of verbs which the player can choose in order to interact with the given object. In addition to that, it is possible to try and type any other verb (provided the game understands it), just like in old adventure games with text interface. Sometimes it is necessary to think outside of the box and come up with unusual actions in order to solve a puzzle.
Several new features have been added to the game, attempting to make players into more "active" participants of the playing process. Using a microphone, players can add their own voices, while using a scanner lets players insert their own photos into the game. Another feature that grabs attention is the automatic wallpaper. When Larry "scores" with a woman, that woman's image can be displayed as wallpaper on the Windows desktop.
- "Ларри 7: Секс под парусом" -- Russian spelling
- "Ларри 7 В выходном костюме: Любовь под парусами" -- Russian title
- "LSL7" -- Common abbreviation
- "Leisure Suit Larry: איזו מין הפלגה" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Leisure Suit Larry: Yacht nach Liebe!" -- German title
- "Leisure Suit Larry dans "Drague en Haute Mer !"" -- French title
- "Leisure Suit Larry 7" -- Informal title
- "Larry 7: Seks pod Parusom" -- Russian title
- "Larry 7: Milosc na Fali" -- Polish title
- "Larry 7" -- Common title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
The game features a series of easter eggs which show each and every one of the girls in a more...uhm, "revealing" form, and if the player manages to score all the points, gets all the easter eggs, and finds all the dildos an alternate ending is unlocked.
The original version of Love for Sail
came packaged with a "Cybersniff 2000" card reminiscent of the "Scratch'n'Sniff" goodie from Infocom's classic Leather Goddesses of Phobos
. In certain locations and situations throughout Larry's adventure, the game displays a blinking number to indicate a specific smell. You're supposed to scratch the corresponding square on the card and sniff.
The nine smells:
Square Smell Location(s)
1 Sea breeze Decks / Mast
2 Coconut Drew / Forward Hold
3 Deodorant Aft Hold
4 Vanilla Owner's Suite / Smell Handkerchief
5 Fart Casino
6 Moldiness Cabin / Aft Hold
7 Fish Kitchen / Lovemaster 2000
8 Cheese Smell Cheese / Smell Mold
9 Chocolate Desert Room
Players can still use the courtesy phone to talk to Mr. Boning even after he's dead.
- The music playing at the spa with the Juggs is the same as the title music from Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist.
- The music that is playing when Larry enters Captain Thygh's room is from Wagner's Tannhäuser. This opera deals with the conflict between physical love and spiritual ideals.
In 1997 there was a German novelization of the game named Die verrückten Abenteuer des Larry Laffer
by Steve Whitton
The left wall of the high security hallway leading up to the PMS Bouncy's staff break room is lined with pictures of alleged former winners of Captain Thygh's contest (see screenshots section
). These are photos of real-life persons. The most obviously recognizable one is Bill Clinton
, President of the United States at the time of Love for Sail
's release. But who are the other nine people?
15 years after the game's release, in August 2011, Sierra's Al Lowe
, Mark Seibert
and Ken Williams
recall most of them:Top row, left to right:
Bottom row, left to right:
On the last two, even the triumvirate has to pass after all these years. If anyone can clear up the mystery, please contribute!
Information also contributed by
- All of the names for the babes in Larry 7 (except the final one) are based on real female celebrities:
This is a continuation of an idea from the previous game, where all the girls were named after wines.
- Victorian Principles (Victoria Principal)
- Dewmi More (Demi Moore)
- Jamie Lee Coitus (Jamie Lee Curtis)
- The Juggs (The Judds)
- Drew Baringmore (Drew Barrymore)
- Annette Boning (Annette Bening)
- The four men that order a martini in the casino, represents the actors that have portrayed James Bond in the 007 films up to the game's release (except George Lazenby): Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan.
- After Victorian principles changes into "Vicki", you can see that she's playing Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! on her PC.