DescriptionThe events of the game take place eighteen months after those described in Ultima VII: The Black Gate. Batlin, the leader of the Fellowship has disappeared, as well as Iolo's wife Gwenno. A map is found that points to the Serpent Isle where the Guardian is still planning to destroy Britannia. Lord British sends the Avatar and his companions to this new land. Once there, the Avatar discovers that a great imbalance is upon the isle and it is up to him to fix it. To do so, he must learn the philosophies of the original inhabitants of this land, who worshipped giant serpents symbolizing the principles of Order, Chaos and Balance.
Serpent Isle uses virtually the same game engine as the first Ultima VII, with some slight modifications in inventory management and NPC portraits (which are now digitized images of actors). The story, however, is more linear and also more extensive. Unlike earlier Ultima games, many tasks have to be accomplished before the player is able to advance to a different area. There are also many scripted events that advance the plot, though the free-roaming is still retained to a large degree, with a vast amount of locations to visit, items to collect, and NPCs to interact with. Combat is handled similarly to the previous game, with a simple real-time point-and-click management of the Avatar's actions, while his/her party members are being controlled by the AI.
- "Ultima VII: Segunda Parte - Serpent Isle" -- Spanish title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Automatic leveling
- Gameplay feature: Day / Night cycle
- Gameplay feature: Hunger / Thirst
- Gameplay feature: Paper doll inventory
- Ultima series
- Ultima universe
The Press Says
|Tilt||Dec, 1993||93 out of 100||93|
|PC Games (Germany)||May, 1993||92 out of 100||92|
|PC Player (Germany)||May, 1993||87 out of 100||87|
|Power Play||Jun, 1993||85 out of 100||85|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Jun, 1993||10 out of 12||83|
|PC Review UK||Jun, 1993||7 out of 10||70|
|All Game Guide||1998||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
TriviaThis is by far the sexiest Ultima game - it contains several sex scenes featuring - yes, you heard right - full nudity! Of course, the character sprites are so small that you can't see much, but nevertheless the scene with the sorceress Frigidazzi is quite... ahem... impressive. What's more, you'll have this scene even if you are playing a female Avatar (*gasp!*)!
Related Web Sites
- Denis Loubet's site (Denis Loubet's personal site, which features (among many Ultima-related things) the original version of the Serpent Isle intro.)
- Exult (An open-source project to reverse-engineer Ultima VII and Ultima VII Part Two. Highly recommended for any fan of these games.)
- Ganesh's Website - Planescape Torment, Ultima 7/8/UW1/UW2 & Jokes! (Walkthroughs, tips, hints, cheats, trainers, backgrounds, wallpapers, desktop themes, music, mp3s, midi, hand-picked *very* funny jokes and much MUCH more! ALSO: U7 in Win9x, humor, lots of downloads!)
- Ultima 7 in Windows (An exerpt .. "Thanks to a new and quite brilliant utility, Black Gate and Serpent Isle can be run effortlessly in Windows 95 or 98, with virtually any kind of sound card. With the latest edition (U7.DPMI) it is also compatible with Windows 2000, and possibly even Linux.")