A fresh approach in the long running Call of Duty franchise with the original developers back behind the wheel, chapter 4 has the player assume the role of a British S.A.S. squad member in various missions over Europe, as well as a U.S. Marine in the Middle East, fighting against an fictive global terrorism driving persona.
Without breaking the traditions of its heritage, Call of Duty 4
is a true military-based FPS, only this time it has the player fight in a fictive setting and in a modern-day world, against modern enemies and ditto weapons. There are various campaign-based missions that enable the player to take the role of two different soldiers, from two different kinds of military enforcement disciplines. As usual, multiplayer is also available with different game modes.
The missions in the single player campaign give various tasks to accomplish and take the player through many twists as the plot unfolds. A large arsenal of weapons is available, offering diverse options to suit different playing styles. For the first time, the game does not run on an id Tech engine, but a proprietary 3D engine based on the id Tech standards, with physics, dynamic lighting, bloom and depth-of-field.
- "COD4" -- Common abbreviation
- "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition" -- Wii title
- "콜 오브 듀티 4: 모던 워페어" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
||Mar 23, 2008
||96 out of 100
||Nov 08, 2007
||9.5 out of 10
||Nov 05, 2007
||9.5 out of 10
||Nov 26, 2007
||93 out of 100
|Total PC Gaming
||Nov 09, 2007
||9.3 out of 10
||Oct 31, 2007
||91 out of 100
||Mar 17, 2008
||9 out of 10
||Nov 06, 2007
||8.9 out of 10
||Jan 17, 2008
||86 out of 100
||Mar 03, 2008
||8.4 out of 10
Infinity Ward considered over 1,000 names before settling on Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
, including more humorous titles such as Call of Duty: Warnado
In the German version the blood in the sniper sequence during the mission "One Shot, One Kill" and the whole arcade mode were removed. In the multiplayer statistics "headshot" was translated to "Volltreffer" (direct hit).
- On the multiplayer map "Vacant", in the outside area, a truck is parked. Its licence plate reads: "Я3T4ЯD0", obviously a nod to the word "retardo", which is slang for "retard".
- There is a tribute to Airplane! in the mission "Mile High Club". When the screen loads one man can be overheard saying, "Surely you can't be serious?", with the other man replying "I'm serious..and don't call me Shirley". This is a homage to a scene between Leslie Nielsen and Robert Hays during the movie. The scene for CoD 4 can be seen here with the scene from Airplane! here.
- Three of the in-game level names are references to movies: "Charlie Don't Surf" is a line from Apocalypse Now, spoken by Colonel Kilgore; "One Shot, One Kill" from Sniper and "No Fighting In The War Room" from Doctor Strangelove, where the president declares: "Gentlemen! There's no fighting in the War Room!"
References to the game
- The game is referenced in detail during a conversation in the 2008 movie The Wrestler. While playing the fictitious game Wrestle Jam on an 8-bit Nintendo console, a boy tells Randy "The Ram" Robinson about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
- The game was parodied in an episode of "Die Redaktion" (The Editorial Team), a monthly comedy video produced by the German gaming magazine GameStar. It was published on the DVD of issue 04/2008.
Information was also contributed by
Big John WV,
havoc of smeg,
- GAME British Academy Video Games Awards
- GamePro (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Best Console FPS in 2007 (Reader's Voting)
- 2007 – Game of the Year
- 2007 – PC Game of the Year
- 2007 – Console Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Game of the Year
- 2007 – PS3 Game of the Year
- 2007 – PC Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – PS3 Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2007 – #2 Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2007 – Best Graphics of the Year
- 2012 – #8 Top PC Gaming Intro
- GameStar (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Best PC Multiplayer Game in 2007
- September 2008 (issue 12/2008) - One of the "10 Coolest Levels" (Shock and Awe - It lures the player into a feeling of sure victory only to destroy it with one big blast.)
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2008 - Ultimate Game of the Year
- 2008 - PC Game of the Year
- 2008 - Online Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
(1317) added Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
(Windows) on Nov 12, 2007