DescriptionThe 3rd part of the Command & Conquer series series is a continuation of the storyline in the first game - pitting Kane's Brotherhood of NOD and its religious fanatics against the Global Defense Initiative. In gameplay terms, the GDI is more powerful and its units have a science-fiction feel, whereas NOD is a renegade force primed for sneak attacks.
This version replaces the graphics engine with a mixture of voxel and bitmap graphics. Several new units have been added, like hover tanks, subterranean units and the Mammoth MKII Super-Unit. Unit production can be queued. Most single-player missions have time limits and specific challenges.
Surprise attacks (using air transports for the GDI underground passages for the NOD) are one tactical option. Some units are only effective against certain units or buildings, emphasizing the strategic side of the game.
There are no promo images for this game
- "Command & Conquer: Teil 3 - Operation: Tiberian Sun" -- German title
- "Command & Conquer: Soleil de Tiberium" -- French title
- "Command & Conquer 2: Tiberian Sun" -- Informal title
- "C&C:TS" -- Informal title
- "C&C 2" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- Command & Conquer games
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian series
- Game Feature: In-game Screenshot Capture
- Gameplay Feature: Fog of War
- Gameplay feature: Freely destructible terrain
- Live action cut-scenes
- Setting: City - Cairo
- Setting: Country - Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Setting: Country - Croatia
- Visual technique / style: Voxel graphics
|GameStar (Germany)||Oct, 1999||90 out of 100||90|
|GameStar (Germany)||Oct, 1999||89 out of 100||89|
|GameSpy||Sep 04, 1999||85 out of 100||85|
|Gamezilla||Sep 28, 1999||85 out of 100||85|
|PC Player (Germany)||Nov, 1999||83 out of 100||83|
|IGN||Sep 03, 1999||8 out of 10||80|
|GameSpot||Sep 01, 1999||7.9 out of 10||79|
|Gamer's Pulse||1999||70 out of 100||70|
|Spel för Alla||Oct, 1999||6 out of 10||60|
|GamePro (US)||Jul 07, 2005||2 out of 5||40|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|now available as free download||11||Foxhack (19529)
Feb 15, 2010
|tiberian sun patch v2.04 and high-res patch||1||grr joel
Feb 16, 2008
AudioDwight Okahara, Senior Sound Designer:
We had a blast with this game. We hooked up with the FBI to record explosives from their bomb detonation training course to bring realistic sound effects to the game
DevelopmentThe design team started work on Tiberian Sun in 1995, just a few weeks after Command & Conquer shipped. The final design document was finished in late 1997. In July of 1998, in the 110 degree heat of the Nevada desert, a crew of more than 40 came together to film the story of Tiberian Sun. The game was completed in July of 1999.
EditorThe map editor can also be used for Command & Conquer: Red Alert and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
German versionThe German version replaces all the soldiers with cyborgs. Some violent scenes were cut from the cutscenes.
References to the gameIn 1999, German electronica-house-metal band Think About Mutation released the single Two Tribes, which featured a video with some Tiberian Sun footage and the band members wearing the helmet seen on the game cover. The cover of the single is a stylized Tiberian Sun cover, depicting a woman instead of a male soldier.
- As of 2005, Tiberian Sun was the fastest selling game on the EA Games label (1.5 million copies within a month).
- Between 1999 and 2000, the game won a single Gold- and three Platinum-Awards from the German VUD (Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland - Entertainment Software Association Germany) for selling more then 100,000 units (Gold) and more then three times 200,000 units (Platinum) in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. As the Gold-Award is not counted into the Platinum-Award, all four awards total in between 700,000 and 1,700,000 units sold.
SoundtrackThe soundtrack of the game is included in the Platinum Edition and the Firepower bundle. It was also separately available for purchase.
All songs were composed & performed by Frank Klepacki (Westwood Studios) and Jarrid Mendelson (Digital Media House).
- Timebomb (Klepacki)
- Pharotek (Mendelson)
- Lone Trooper (Mendelson)
- Scouting (Mendelson)
- Infrared (Klepacki)
- Flurry (Klepacki & Mendelson)
- Mutants (Kepacki & Mendelson)
- Gloom (Mendelson)
- Heroism (Mendelson)
- Approach (Klepacki)
- Dusk Hour (Klepacki & Mendelson)
- The Defense (Mendelson)
- Mad Rap (Klepacki)
- Valves (Klepacki)
- What Lurks(Klepacki)
- Score (Klepacki)
I didn't want to stray too far from the original C&C soundtrack, but it had to be more futuristic and ambient. From there I tried to capture the mood the designers wanted for each mission. I even brought in another composer for some of the in game scores, Jarrid Mendelson, who I knew would compliment my style for this genre of music. Also, you'll notice I put more development into GDI & NOD's signature themes for the movie sequences.
- PC Gamer
- April 2000 - #29 in the "All-Time Top 50 Games" poll
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2000 - Most Hyped Game in 1999
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 03/2005 - #3 Biggest Disappointment
- Issue 02/2006 - #3 Hype Disappointment
- Power Play
- Issue 02/2000 – Biggest Disappointment in 1999
- Verband der Unterhaltungssoftware Deutschland
- 1999/2000 - Gold Award
- 1999/2000 - Three Platinum Awards
Related Web Sites
- Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun (The official homepage )
- Full game + Firestorm exp. for free (EA now offers the full game including the expansion pack Firestorm for free download.)
- JP3D's Tiberian Sun site (A great site created by a guy named jp3d (real name Jesse Parker) that has maps, info and you can also download SunEdit 2k and FinalSun from his site.)
- Planet C&C (All the C&C games covered extensively on these pages. Articles, reviews, files for download, chat and more.)
- The "Art Of War" site (This is a fairly cool site with info and stuff. The best bit has to be the test section of it where you can test your TS knowledge.)
- The Final Hours of Tiberian Sun (Find out about the end of the game's production in GameSpot's extensive article.)
- The Real Tiberian Sun (This site has pictures, movies, and other information about TS.)
- The Tiberian Sun Infomation Center (A great site although lacking in some areas, but has other sections that are great. Includes a pretty good walk through for the GDI recapture hammerfest base mission.)
- Tiberian Sun Fan Site (A fan site on the game Tiberian Sun)